Working Bedlingtons 2005

hi, i've got a beddy bitch who's 10months old and she's had a few rabbits ferreting but nothing that bites back yet. At the mo she has no interest to go to ground even when other terriers push past to go to ground, i know she's young and don't want her to enter to fox till she's older but has anyone else had a beddy reluctant when young but that now does earthwork?

thanks griffo

Griffo, what lines is she from?

Some dogs will fly to ground at 10 months (or before) and yet, some dogs are nowhere near ready at that age.

The temptation is always there to get them going early, but the dog must be mature enough mentally and physically to cope

with what goes on down there.

Then one day, you might be lucky enough to get her 1st one in a drain or some easy place, and it will all hopefully click into place.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

Well done again David, Just waiting for my first adult ,itll come im bit like you no real access to earths went to over 20 farms in the last two weeks and only one took my number and one let me on ratting. I know hes ready just need the chance.

few more pics from today took ferret this time

rats2zd3.jpg

Cheers Mick :thumbs:

Edited by mick the fish

Mick, use a bit of psychology on the farmers/landowners.

Get yourself some cards printed - pest control angle. If you leave one with them , they are far more likely to remember you and call you back.

Let them know your doing them a favour by doing it free.

A mate of mine in Scotland tells them he'll do fence repairs etc on his way round - the fat cvnt probably breaks more fences than he mends :laugh::whistling:

That dog of yours is a handier size than mine, so I'm sure his time will come.

:thumbs:

It doesn't seem like 5 minutes ago since I came on here last year telling you all about my Beddy pup.

A lot has happened since then, and he's proved himself a decent wee dog on the rats, rabbits squirrels etc.

I've been trying to get a fox with him for a while now and this frosty morning it all came together.

First earth I tried this morning (a one holer) dog in , keen to go, 20 foot in and only two feet down I broke through just behind him and a very nice vixen.

Not a lot of baying going on, the young dog had the fox by the neck, the fox had the dog through the foot but was fading fast.

Quick dispatch job done.

To be truthful young Spike will probably never see the amount of foxes as some dogs on here, or even my previous dogs, due to time constraints, the fvcking ban and his size, but he'll see some action this winter thats for sure.

A few pics taken on my phone.

post-3549-1197403211.jpg

post-3549-1197403258.jpg

post-3549-1197403286.jpg

post-3549-1197403318.jpg

:clapper: Well done fella, nice to hear someone doing the proper job, excellent mate !!!!

hi, i've got a beddy bitch who's 10months old and she's had a few rabbits ferreting but nothing that bites back yet. At the mo she has no interest to go to ground even when other terriers push past to go to ground, i know she's young and don't want her to enter to fox till she's older but has anyone else had a beddy reluctant when young but that now does earthwork?

thanks griffo

Some dogs will fly to ground at 10 months (or before) and yet, some dogs are nowhere near ready at that age.

The temptation is always there to get them going early, but the dog must be mature enough mentally and physically to cope

Then one day, you might be lucky enough to get her 1st one in a drain or some easy place, and it will all hopefully click into place.

hi, she's from gary newcombe/stevens rillington lines. She's quite mature for her age and is raring to go on rabbits at the mo although she has showed no interest fro going to ground, i was just wondering if any one had similar experience when there beddys were younger.

thanks griffo

Ey up all !!!

Just a quickie, I've been nagging a guy that owns a bedlington bitch out of my old dog Yogi. Nagging, pestered the fecker for a few years now, offered him good money for it as well. Luck has it (for me) that he is not in a position to keep the bitch, so I parted with a few quid and bought it for myself... :whistling::whistling: Will get some, pics up.. Also I've got Millies sire down here on loan, see what sort of dog he is in the flesh !!!!

thanks griffo

hi, she's from gary newcombe/stevens rillington lines. She's quite mature for her age and is raring to go on rabbits at the mo although she has showed no interest fro going to ground, i was just wondering if any one had similar experience when there beddys were younger.

thanks griffo

Come on griffo ! N Newburn is where i brought the bitch down for you ! Put some pics up as she is a cracker ! Edited by alun1960
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ripstop

JUST FOUND OUT ME FATHER(RIP)KNEW GN VERY WELL INDEED, HE HAD A DOG OFF HIM CALLED VIC, ROUGHISH GREY COLOUR,THE DOG WENT TO WORK WITH MY FATHER AS HE WAS A KEEPER ON SUNNYCFROFT FARM, RIPLINGHAM. HE WAS THE SIRE TO SOME PUPS, AND WAS APPARENTLY A DECENT FOX DOG, THIS WAS AROUND 1963-1965, MY FATHER WAS CALLED COLIN WOODS, - CAN ANYONE HELP ON ANY INFO AS WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS DOG OR THE PUPS CHEERS

Don't want to hijack your thread lads, but if any of you lads who work your bedlingtons to ground are planning on using a good dog accross a greyhound i'd be very interested in a bitch pup. I'm in S. Wales, but would be willing to travel within reason for a well bred pup. Thanks.

thanks griffo

thanks griffo

Come on griffo ! N Newburn is where i brought the bitch down for you ! Put some pics up as she is a cracker !

were any of these beddies in ireland recently look very like a few that were in comber