Best Rough Coated Lines Available??

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres my 2, poachers pocket bread, blue dog excellent worker and pup coming on really well. atb strongbow

I keep both rough and smooth coated dogs and i keep them for their working ability not for their looks,but saying that i do show my dogs too during the summer ,and they do well but if they could not p

two of mine poacher pocket bred as well

Posted Images

also what did you mean by it will not live with a decent one?

He meant if you get a decent bred dog then you will get sick of your current one and it won't get the work :thumbs:

Edited to say that wasn't a dig at your other dog mate as I know it keeps you happy :victory:

Edited by BEARINATOR

Deary me ! busy old night on THL

Bottom line is, poeple get the dogs that they want. If they keep them happy, then they are good dogs, They might be failures in others eyes, but the owner may well be pleased as punch with them

My dog is rough, cause I wanted one, He is no world beater, so all the Hancock haters slate him, but ,, I love him, he`s mine, he catches and I wouldn`t get rid of him now.

Oh and by the way, if you do get another lurcher, don`t worry,, your old dog will still get some work, as long as you pay attention to him.

Think I`ll leave this thread to the haters .

Show dogs don`t work !!!!! HA what a load of old shit

ATB

• Like 6

:laugh: got up early this morn , felt like sh*t after reading this I can't stop smiling :laugh:

Look if you want a rough coat lurcher go for one for you I'd say go beddy x whippet , as long as you work both dogs and they are happy and are putting bunnies up and your happy just enjoy them and do what you want , if you want a dog for lamping I wouldn't work the two dogs together as any new dog may yap after hearing your current dog yap , ferreting and mooching they'd make a canny pair , all the arguments are pointless just go out work the dogs and have fun .

• Like 3

My rough coat lurcher deer grey x saluki bull grey no fancy lines just worker to worker , he's 4 yr 29 inch tts hes big but takes anything a put infront of him , great lamping ferreting dog 

photo-44.jpg

After I've hand stripped his coat 

photo-76.jpg

• Like 5

Is it possible to start a thread on THL without it turning into an arguement? What makes me laugh is that 99% of people rowing on here would probably be completely respectful to each others faces but put em behind a keyboard and watch em kick off

TBH you and morton started any bickering............. :yes: my FFS was that your already looking for another dog after telling everyone a few weeks ago how you would put all your time into your toy breed cross, which is now yapping............ then i asked why you wanted a rough coat, which wasnt really an out of order question..........

but you crack on, i couldnt care less about yours or anyone elses dogs unless i go out with them............ :thumbs:

You started it mate by writing ffs! The truths come out now you just wanted to hijack the thread cos of the breed of my dog. It doesnt matter that its yapping does it? Hes catching, im learning and most importantly enjoying myself whilst letting my dog do what comes naturally to him. I think its probably due to the breeds that are in him that make him yap, i didnt enter him too young and i picked him easy runs till he was catching confidently. like i said, even if hes a pile of shit in the field ill keep him and do right by him till he dies. And as for getting another dog whats the problem with that? How many dogs do you own? My dogs will both still be getting out when im bringing the new one on just on alternate days for the first season.

And i never said it was an out of order question thats why i answered it, but it was obvious there was some other motive behind the question.

I cant remember off the top of my head but im probably right in thinking youre one of the people that said my dog would never ever catch a rabbit

nope never said once that i wouldnt catch a rabbit............most dogs will catch a rabbit given the chance............but they will miss thousands more.............. ;)

i own three dogs, one old lurcher bitch who is semi retired, a bull cross and a greyhound, whats that got to do with anything.................. :hmm:

and there was no motive,i just wondered why it HAD to be rough coated.............. :thumbs:

Well youre having a pop cos im getting another dog when youve got 3! My dogs dont live in kennels, theyll be at home with the missus all day, the pup will get a short walk on its own and some basic training when i get home from work and my current dog will will get exactly what hes already getting, a few nights out a week and an hours mouch on the days he aint lamping. Next season the pup will be going out on the lamp when the conditions are good for a few easy runs whilst the other dog stays home after his hours mouch but most days itll be him out on the lamp. Then hopefully by the next season after that ill be able to take em lamping and everything else together. Either way youre wrong if youre suggesting my dogs will be suffering in any way by having 2 of them cos i can assure you theyre my priority.

when did i say your dogs will suffer.......... :blink: good luck in your search anyway..........

so what was your point when you said FFS then mate? you said it was because i said i was getting another dog instead of putting all my time into the one ive already got. Whats the problem with that if my dogs wont suffer? And whats the problem with my dog yapping if im lamping on permission and im never going to breed from him? And the yapping is minimal anyway, a tiny yip every now and then. Stop talking in riddles, if youve got something to say just say it and stick by it, dont keep saying shit that dont make sense and then deny it an hour later.

edited to add, you wouldnt happen to be friends with jonnyboy would you? :hmm: Only he also couldnt resist hijacking my threads trying to make me look stupid only to end up making a dick out of himself. BEING INEXPERIENCED DOES NOT MAKE ME STUPID! so do yourself a favour and stop trying to prove that im some kind of idiot. Like i said in an earlier post, if you met me youd probably like me and would be completely respectful to my face

Nobody but you told me I was acting a dick and as I told you before your opinion on working lurchers means feck all, now fck off and leave me out of your petty squabbles, I expect a long winded reply all nicely written and articulate but I don't give a fck.

If you want advise then why don't you ask all these well respected lurcher men who were surprised and shocked after seeing your little dog run??????

:laugh: got up early this morn , felt like sh*t after reading this I can't stop smiling :laugh:

Look if you want a rough coat lurcher go for one for you I'd say go beddy x whippet , as long as you work both dogs and they are happy and are putting bunnies up and your happy just enjoy them and do what you want , if you want a dog for lamping I wouldn't work the two dogs together as any new dog may yap after hearing your current dog yap , ferreting and mooching they'd make a canny pair , all the arguments are pointless just go out work the dogs and have fun .

i wouldnt go a beddy whippet. mine is shaping up a great ferreting and mooching dog, but i doubt she could do a full night on the lamp on different ground. she does great catching bolters on tough ground ferreting, bit i think you would be better off getting a more purpose bred lamp dog. mines a 17tts half cross by the , a 3/4 whippet of taller half cross maydo what you are after.

you going to be showing it :whistling:

If its got a jacket and it looks the part,why deprive the shows and captive audience,ive a drawer full of trophys and rosettes for my rough haired mongrels.Does it make them work harder and better,possibly not,but it may make owning them that touch sweeter,not really but better to look at a looker than an ugly smooth coated mongrel.

is your wife hairy or smooth :tongue2:

I wish ye all the best in finding a pup... Was looking specifically for a rough coated brindle deerhound x but ended up with a smoothcoated grizzle saluki grey when I couldnt find what I was looking for.... Wouldnt part with this floppy eared ugly whiney fecker for anything.

I keep both rough and smooth coated dogs and i keep them for their working ability not for their looks,but saying that i do show my dogs too during the summer ,and they do well but if they could not put a shift in the field they would not stay in my kennels.but if was picking a pup from a litter of mixed smooth and rough and it came down to 2 pups that where to my liking and nothing else but was rough and one was smooth to decide on i would most likeily go for the rough coated.

showing

321404_1903053656605_1249626022_31643762_2907880_n.jpg

313729_1903045576403_4334749_n.jpg

out working

post-21594-0-66533400-1330895417.jpg

013-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Edited by lurcher330
  • Like 7

My Hancock bred from Tweedledum and Sallys lurcher bitch is doing very well. They are repeating the breeding this year (mines was the first time they had bred lurcher to lurcher)

He is turning into a game dog thats keeping the freezer topped up. Not all good dogs are from proven lines, put the effort in and get the results out.

Don't the do that every year :laugh:

My Hancock bred from Tweedledum and Sallys lurcher bitch is doing very well. They are repeating the breeding this year (mines was the first time they had bred lurcher to lurcher)

He is turning into a game dog thats keeping the freezer topped up. Not all good dogs are from proven lines, put the effort in and get the results out.

Don't the do that every year :laugh:

Nope. This was the first time they bred lurcher to lurcher ( I think)

Usually it is a greyhound bitch that is mated to certain collie crosses to get the desired mix.

They were inundated with folk wanting the dogs from the initial line and have kept 3 back as stud (4 including mine, but they let him go to me as he was black and the decided only to keep the 3 merles), again to be used on Greyhound bitches, so they might breed a reverse 3/4 back to the 1/4 lurcher bitch again.

• Like 1