Firearms advice

Hello ive just recieved my new firearms licence for a .22 LR 17 HMR and 243 for the deer and am looking for some info on the 22 i was looking at a semi auto but would like to get to no some of the pros and cons of one and what everyone else thinks before i jump in all replys will be much apreciated.

semi auto are a pain in the arse .......ive had two rugers ...both have jammed.....went back to a 22 cz bolt action more accurate and more reliable.........but thats just my opinion.....no need for a semi auto anyway i use a 10 shot mag in bolt action...........more than ample

I recently had this decision to make.

I read lots of reviews but never ended up confident in the accuracy of semis. I know people spend a lot getting 10/22 accurate and CZ 511/581 and their new brother seem to start off half decent but I tried a couple in the shops and didn't like the triggers at all. Bought a CZ452 bolt action rifle and although the trigger wasn't great it's easy and cheep to improve. You have to be a much better marksman than me to shoot well with a heavy creepy trigger - but many people are much better than me. When I miss I only want to be able to blame myself.

I really like it being so easy to separate the bolt from the rest of the rifle - I can take it with me when I leave the rifle in the boot and it also makes it easy to use a cable lock to further secure it. Oh it's so easy to slide the bolt out of a bolt action rifle, and put it back in, but I suppose it's one more thing to forget to take when I go out. :doh:

Edited by halamrose

First off you have to ask yourself, WHY do I want a semi auto as opposed to a bolt action.

If you can come up with a good reason then fine, get one, if not get a bolt, accuracy wise they are never as good but the difference is seldom worth talking about. They are harder to clean and more ammo fussy, and the odds are you will use twice as much ammo for no extra return, just because you can!

I have both, and in honesty I can say my Magtech 7022 is great, accuracy is all I need for the field, it has proved very reliable and is very light, but it doesn't come out very often in anger, more for fun!

post-10759-0-64485900-1353405881_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deker

I had a Remmy semi-auto and it was a nightmare (might have been me) I couldnt get to grips with it. Bang,click,click,bang! Didnt matter if it was clean or left uncleaned but the action was lubricated.....it failed me too many times! I traded it in for an Annie bolt action....never jams and is much more accurate......stick to a bolt action!

Nothing wrong with a semi auto if you look after them

I have a Rugar 10/22 and I can just as easily take a 100 yard bunny as my mate can with his Anchutz, the only difference being while he's cocking the bolt to recycle another round I can easily and accurately have got off another couple of shots. Now that may not be important to you and I concede if we were punching paper targets the Anchutz would get better groupings but I use mine to hunt and very rarely do I miss with it.

I have just installed a damper to make it even quieter and am about to do a trigger modification (look on YouTube) as my biggest complaint is the shite trigger.

I often wonder how many people that automatically just say "don't get a semi auto there sh*t get a bolt action" have actually owned one? (Obviously I exclude people that have commented on this thread that they have)

Remember this rifle has been produced since the 60's and last time I looked 5 Million of them had been sold so they can't be that bad eh?

I often wonder how many people that automatically just say "don't get a semi auto there sh*t get a bolt action" have actually owned one? (Obviously I exclude people that have commented on this thread that they have)

Never owned one, never will. Shot one, wouldn't group less than 4 inches I think at 50 yards, didn't try it at 100, didn't think it'd hit the A4 page. Tried about 7 different types of ammo in it. Told the young lad to bring it back and throw it in over the counter at the twat that sold him it. Pure piece of sh1t, he'd have been better off buying a shotgun.

Never owned one, never will. Shot one, wouldn't group less than 4 inches I think at 50 yards, didn't try it at 100, didn't think it'd hit the A4 page. Tried about 7 different types of ammo in it. Told the young lad to bring it back and throw it in over the counter at the twat that sold him it. Pure piece of sh1t, he'd have been better off buying a shotgun.

Yeah, I'd do the same with that performance, something was not right there! :hmm:

As I have said above, they are not as accurate but the difference is hardly worth talking about for field work.

For the vast majority and a one time gun I would suggest a Bolt every time. I have lived most of my life without owning a semi, only finally taking the plunge about 10 months ago, I'm pleased I did, but putting it simply, it is a plaything for me, I can't honestly think of a single time since I bought it that it has been the tool of choice for work over the bolt action .22! :thumbs:

First off you have to ask yourself, WHY do I want a semi auto as opposed to a bolt action.

If you can come up with a good reason then fine, get one, if not get a bolt, accuracy wise they are never as good but the difference is seldom worth talking about. They are harder to clean and more ammo fussy, and the odds are you will use twice as much ammo for no extra return, just because you can!

I have both, and in honesty I can say my Magtech 7022 is great, accuracy is all I need for the field, it has proved very reliable and is very light, but it doesn't come out very often in anger, more for fun!

i had a camo version of that with a shorter barrell carnt remember the name of the maker now :hmm:

If it makes you smile when you take a gun out of the cabinet then a semi would be a good choice. It's not easy, but it's not too hard, to swap rifles once you have one but still try before you buy to see if you like the accuracy and trigger and watch a youtube vid on how to clean the model you fancy - then you can decide if you want the extra fuss.

i had a camo version of that with a shorter barrell carnt remember the name of the maker now :hmm:

Mine is the Magtech 7022 made by CBC in Brazil but its the same as the Mossberg 702, just £100 cheaper, mine only cost £150 BRAND new last December, Threaded and complete with iron sights!

One or two other variations about! :thumbs:

Agree that sounds like a dog, don't blame the concept though it was just a bad rifle/scope. I don't target shoot with it but when zeroing at 100 yards its usually around 2" grouping which is fine for bunnies.