How did you get into terrier work?

After the mentor thread it got me thinking how I came to terrer work. For me it was down to my father really , he would turn up to pick me up from school and always seemed to have a hare in the footwell of his old van . Or would wake me up early in the morning and say fancy going out with the terriers. And although money was tight due mainly to my old man being out with his dogs and not working lol we were happy . But how did you come to terrier work?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The local pack had a meet in our village when i was about 12, they hunted well and ran one to ground, i watched as the terrierman arrived and entered a little bitch i held kit for him while he was d

read a sean frain book and ive took up skiing

It's nice for those of us that have had someone to show us what to do . I feel lucky to have had to had someone show me the right way to go on. I have got a couple of my brothers little lads asking me

After the mentor thread it got me thinking how I came to terrer work. For me it was down to my father really , he would turn up to pick me up from school and always seemed to have a hare in the footwell of his old van . Or would wake me up early in the morning and say fancy going out with the terriers. And although money was tight due mainly to my old man being out with his dogs and not working lol we were happy . But how did you come to terrier work?

same as you marshman,from an early age i was out with my dad.still miss the old bugger giving me a bollocking

i was brought up just outside preston. and saw a fella outside a shop with a couple of well bitten terriers. and got chatting. tagged along and hey presto. turned into a lifetime thing :laugh: . the terriers where A, C. bred. not the prettiest but could do the job. been with terriers ever since in one way or another. there was also some decent working terrier shows around there. at that time. :thumbs: around thirty years ago now :icon_eek:

Edited by Cleanspade
  • Like 1

Owned a terrier before lurchers,mooched about ratting,ferreting etc.,eventually the dog dropped to ground and things went from them first experiences,dropped the terriers and stuck to runners for a while,realised the runners get more sport with a terrier or 2 in tow.

i was brought up just outside preston. and saw a fella outside a shop with a couple of well bitten terriers. and got chatting. tagged along and hey presto. turned into a lifetime thing :laugh: . the terriers where A, C. bred. not the prettiest but could do the job. been with terriers ever since in one way or another. there was also some decent working terrier shows around there. at that time. :thumbs: around thirty years ago now :icon_eek:

preston as in northwest

preston as in northwest

Where did Preston used to be?.

Worked on a farm during the school holidays, (I was about 12 years old).

Saw a few collies etc catching rats in and around the barns.

We had a Cairn cross Corgi dog at home that looked like today "pet " Russells.

Took him to the farm and moved some bales, dog chased and caught a few and I was hooked. :victory:

Cheers, D.

think theres a preston up scotland i think

So theres a proper Preston and a jock imitation,trust the jocks,always pinched everything from their fairer and better looking cousins.

Think he's getting mixed up with Prestonpans .....JOCKS Invent.......Sasin .....Copy :tongue2: The Wife... :yes:

think theres a preston up scotland i think

So theres a proper Preston and a jock imitation,trust the jocks,always pinched everything from their fairer and better looking cousins.

There's a Blackburn up there as well that they copied.

Subo comes from there :bad:

Cheers, D.

I was probably about 8 when i first started mooching about with some mongrelly russel types we had about. Had some good times at the local orchards and forestry blocks bagging all sorts. Im more into the lurchers now but i normally have a terrier around. ATB