Parallax advice

Set a target at say 30 yards from your position and adjust your parallax to 30 yards and all should be clear. Now walk back to 40 yards and have a look through the scope...it should be out of focus so adjust your parallax to 40 yards and all should be clear again. That's basically how it works :thumbs:

My parallax is set at 30 yards as that's the range that i try to get to when taking a shot :thumbs:

No not use it as a range finder. The problem i get is when i zero my gun i sit on a picnic bench, but when i move to shooting prone on a bipod, my shots are around 1-2" of still good grouping just not on target. I think its becuse a different head position used between shooting on the bench and the ground. Which from looking at parallax adjust on the internet shouldn't happen if its set up right.

No not use it as a range finder. The problem i get is when i zero my gun i sit on a picnic bench, but when i move to shooting prone on a bipod, my shots are around 1-2" of still good grouping just not on target. I think its becuse a different head position used between shooting on the bench and the ground. Which from looking at parallax adjust on the internet shouldn't happen if its set up right.

It doesn't matter where your head is as long as your eye looks down the centre of the scope.

Don't try and complicate things by Parallax discussion, especially as you have no requirement for range finding with it, at 30-40yards with a air rifle it is a complication you do not need.

Just make sure the "target" is in focus and you look through the centre of the scope! :thumbs:

You should be trying to achieve the same sight picture with every shot, clear fill circular image through the scope,

any shading around the outside edge while looking through scope means you are not looking square down the scope, and thus

the shot will be slightly off target,

hope i made this sound clear enough for you to understand.

Snap.

When your prone with the rifle on a rest or bipod you can see the cross-hairs move on the target as you move your head up and down even though the gun is steady. Adjust parallax till the target and cross-hairs are stable. On a poor scope the focus and parallax may not coincide and on my scopes the marks on the parallax adjustment ring don't reflect the true distances.

Having said all then, you should learn to position your eye consistently, I don't mess about with such adjustments in the field.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

When your prone with the rifle on a rest or bipod you can see the cross-hairs move on the target as you move your head up and down even though the gun is steady. Adjust parallax till the target and cross-hairs are stable. On a poor scope the focus and parallax may not coincide and on my scopes the marks on the parallax adjustment ring don't reflect the true distances.

Having said all then, you should learn to position your eye consistently, I don't mess about with such adjustments in the field.

This guy on the ball. :thumbs:

You mention 'different head position'. When you are shooting off your table make sure the cheek piece is nice and tight up against your face. You want it so that every time you hold the rifle it fits the same. When it feels nice can you see straight down your scope?. It's no good having a really good fit then having to lift your head to see down the scope, your groups will suck. This was the problem i was having. I didn't even notice i was doing it till it was pointed out to me. I shaped, and add, some insulation foam to both my CZ452's and the grouping, especially on the HMR, has got much better.

The idea of the foam was to raise my cheek up, about 1/2'', so it was still tight and comfortable everytime, and i could also see straight down the scope everytime. Now if I'm bench shooting, prone or off a bipod my face is in exactally the same position to see straight down the scope because there is no head movement. :-)

If your shooting from a picnic table with the angle going downwards towards your target your POI will be different to that when your shooting from a bipod at a straight angle. I.e your target is more or less on the same parallel as your barrell when shooting from a bi pod.