Woodcock-nice to see them back

19 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Had a good day Woodcock shooting in Cheshire on 16th December. Six of us turned up for a days walked up shooting over spaniels and a pointer . Great dog work and plenty of woodcock. We ended the day on 35 woodcock and 15 pheasant. They taste great too .

0AF75EC7-BDEA-438B-BE35-F9A2DEAC3B2C.jpeg

3C07E056-AAAB-4B54-9659-74A88D6CE255.jpeg

What a day! Brilliant stuff! :good:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s not my experience. All the birds we shoot and that are shot on estates local to me are processed by game dealers. A lot of them are exported to the continent. Any that are too badly damaged hav

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the the

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

What a day! Brilliant stuff! :good:

I’ve been all over woodcock shooting . I’ve been with a well know producer of fox calling videos in Cornwall and locally. And this was the best days  woodcock shooting I’ve had . The estate only does this day once a year and every year they shoot similar numbers. It’s low impact on the woodcock and I think it’s sustainable. I know  that there are a lot of people not shooting them now but it’s a personal choice and I love woodcock shooting/ eating . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve been all over woodcock shooting . I’ve been with a well know producer of fox calling videos in Cornwall and locally. And this was the best days  woodcock shooting I’ve had . The estate only does this day once a year and every year they shoot similar numbers. It’s low impact on the woodcock and I think it’s sustainable. I know  that there are a lot of people not shooting them now but it’s a personal choice and I love woodcock shooting/ eating . 

I honestly think 'hunting' woodcock is one of the most magical fieldsports available. In my mind their is a romanticism associated with woodcock unlike any other winged quarry and I hope we don't see the end of it because of well meaning but perhaps misguided conservationists within our own ranks.

• Like 3
Just now, Born Hunter said:

I honestly think 'hunting' woodcock is one of the most magical fieldsports available. In my mind their is a romanticism associated with woodcock unlike any other winged quarry and I hope we don't see the end of it because of well meaning but perhaps misguided conservationists within our own ranks.

Couldn’t agree more . Some of the shooting organisations are pushing for restraint based on “RSPB” science . Actually what I’m seeing and what I hear is that numbers are the same as ever . We probably saw a couple of hundred woodcock on that day , the woods were “lifting” with them . If we don’t keep hunting them and enjoying these birds we will lose them off the quarry list which would be a sad loss , because they are a magical bird , that are plentiful in numbers. If anyone goes shooting and the shoot captain says “no woodcock “ , choose your moment and quietly ask him why ? and ask him on what grounds he bases his opinion . Ultimately if you are a guest you do as you are asked but it won’t do any harm to question it and maybe change their position. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Couldn’t agree more . Some of the shooting organisations are pushing for restraint based on “RSPB” science . Actually what I’m seeing and what I hear is that numbers are the same as ever . We probably saw a couple of hundred woodcock on that day , the woods were “lifting” with them . If we don’t keep hunting them and enjoying these birds we will lose them off the quarry list which would be a sad loss , because they are a magical bird , that are plentiful in numbers. If anyone goes shooting and the shoot captain says “no woodcock “ , choose your moment and quietly ask him why ? and ask him on what grounds he bases his opinion . Ultimately if you are a guest you do as you are asked but it won’t do any harm to question it and maybe change their position. 

I can be persuaded not to shoot early season birds, as a large percentage of them will be our own native stock which is under threat I believe. But 98% of the annual woodcock bag is composed of migrant birds, which I believe are not under threat. In fact, I read a stat recently that put the global woodcock population greater than the global mallard population!

From GWCT

Q: Is the global estimate of woodcock falling?
A: No. The global population of 10-26 million individuals is considered stable.

Q: Are the woodcock that migrate here each autumn declining?
A: No. Approximately 800,000 to 1.3 million woodcock migrate to Britain and Ireland each winter, mainly from Scandinavia, Finland, the Baltic States and Russia, where results from a joint Franco-Russian survey indicate that breeding populations appear stable.

Even if we consider our native stock, is it really us (sportsmen) who are the threat or a reduction in suitable habitat and/or climate change?

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

I would not shoot woodcock until the first woodcock arrive and in my neck of the woods is the first moon in November and I usually start seeing them around bonfire night . So definitely agree not to shoot our native birds . Interesting point about the mallard population. I often think that the ban on woodcock on shoots is a bit of Virtue signalling and also that they can’t charge for woodcock and if you shoot one you might miss the opportunity to shoot a pheasant. 

That looks a top day out SL......I used to shoot up on Islay every year which had some great ground and numbers but now shoot them further down the west coast and we have great numbers every year.  They are indeed a special bird that gets the heart racing when you hear them breaking cover and are ‘the’ best eating bird.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

That time of year again . My now annual pilgrimage to Cheshire for some fantastic woodcock shooting , great dog work , great company and this year a feast of toothsome treats supplied by my very good friend Steve who invites myself and fellow keeper Anthony for this special days sport . 
         We traveled north from Gloucestershire on Sunday evening and stayed at a premier inn so that there was no rushing about and could have a chilled out breakfast and easy drive to the meet . Bloody hell !!! We were the only guests at the inn , the only ones having breakfast . This Covid is crippling the hospitality industry. 
            We met at the keepers cottage , there were seven of us shooting and two keepers and two beaters working their dogs plus a couple of the guns had dogs too . After a cheerful reunion with the lads we set off for the first block of forestry. We line up spaced out and allow the dog’s to do their thing . I have worked out which are the best dogs and get next to them ( my mum didn’t bring up a fool ) ??. Reports from the keepers were that the last full moon saw considerable numbers of woodcock drop in  , and they were seen regularly on the pheasant days . No sooner had I dropped two cartridges in my shotgun and pushed through some bracken than a familiar sound of a woodcock flushing to my right , I quickly closed my Miroku and and swung through to open my account and watched Paul’s pointer make a difficult retrieve look easy . I have changed my opinion of pointers after seeing this GSP working, all the ones I’ve seen before have been wild untrained brutes that I wouldn’t give you tuppence for but this dog does what it was bred for “hunts points and retrieves” . The weather gods were smiling on us and the rain of the previous day was gone and we had a day of sunny spells and cloud , perfect conditions. I managed four woodcock on the first block , before we started on a newly planted broadleaf plantation. I think you have to be a bit of a poacher to be any good at this sort of shooting, by that I mean you need to use a bit of field craft , it’s no use being behind a tree when one is flushed , you need to read the terrain and get yourself into a decent position and you need to concentrate and be quick . 
         We stopped for lunch and we were racking up a decent tally with a few pheasant in the bag too . Steve said he had been up at 6am making sandwiches for us , liar ?, his Mrs had made a feast fit for a king , and I had to exercise a lot of restraint, I still had to do some walking. 
          The keepers told us they had a treat lined up for us after lunch . We were to line up in a disused quarry and they would drive woodcock over us , then turn and bring it back the othe side . I got my game face on now as I’ve long had a desire to shoot a right and left woodcock, that was witnessed.My holy grail, a feat I’ve managed a couple of times but sadly only on my own , not good enough for the woodcock club . I was placed in this narrow cut that would of not allowed much time to get on a bird , let alone two , but that is what happened two came over and I managed one . I shot another on that mini drive and the team shot ten collectively, exciting stuff . The holy grail will have to wait until next time as no other opportunities came my way . My own personal score for the day was 14 woodcock and maybe a couple more shared but I won’t count them , and a pheasant. The team ended the day with 55 woodcock and 11 pheasant. The team of keepers and beaters and their excellent dogs worked their socks off for us . We are all working lads , all northerners with not a toff in sight, I’m the only carrot cruncher  , but just for that day we had sport like kings . On the drive back Anthony said that that was probably one of the best days shooting he had had and would turn down a 300 bird pheasant day in preference for a day like that , and I agreed.

5C4D4E4A-D67A-4320-995B-2E90F797FC55.jpeg

AB2E72D6-A5E8-4EB3-A531-CF04DBE8DE09.jpeg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Good for you sideloader. 

Is that near Peckforton , Tarporly ?

What pellets were you using?

Do you know it sausage? 
I have tried all sorts on woodcock, i now use 28grams of 7.5 through 1/2 and 1/2 chokes . My logic is for walked up the birds are very often flying away from you or quartering or crossing but sometimes at a fair distance. They are only a small bird and don’t need 32 grams of 5s which some guys shoot . I can honestly say I didn’t once feel like I needed a heavier load , the kills were clean and at good ranges . I am a firm believer that it’s all in the pattern.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Do you know it sausage? 
I have tried all sorts on woodcock, i now use 28grams of 7.5 through 1/2 and 1/2 chokes . My logic is for walked up the birds are very often flying away from you or quartering or crossing but sometimes at a fair distance. They are only a small bird and don’t need 32 grams of 5s which some guys shoot . I can honestly say I didn’t once feel like I needed a heavier load , the kills were clean and at good ranges . I am a firm believer that it’s all in the pattern.

No but I can see them there hills and when I saw the slabs of rock etc.

And I thought I noticed a funny smell on that date too! ?

Yes sir. Pattern wins everytime. 1/2&1/2 but no tighter if possible!