Is It legal In Scotland To Shoot Your Air Rifle In Waste Land That No One Owns?

If its public land or the public have access to it you stand a good chance of loosing your gun and get a criminal record to go with it .

Regards

Strange thing is, up here in Scotland the public have access to all land! there are no trespass laws in Scotland! we have the right to roam any where we like as long as we close farm gates behind us and dont dump our rubbish we can go where we please! ;-)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lot of regs up in jockland are different to england and wales, down here the sticking points would be:- if common groung shooting is illegal, next, if not common ground just unknown owner, how do you

Interesting, from BASC via AGF:   http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/index.php?showtopic=12881   Tony  

all land is owned by someone!! you need permission

If its public land or the public have access to it you stand a good chance of loosing your gun and get a criminal record to go with it .

Regards

Strange thing is, up here in Scotland the public have access to all land! there are no trespass laws in Scotland! we have the right to roam any where we like as long as we close farm gates behind us and dont dump our rubbish we can go where we please! ;-)

That's fine mate if you're out for a stroll but if you're carrying a firearm (even sub 12FPE rifles are firearms in the eyes of the law) without the permission of the land owner then you're fcuked as it's armed trespass...no ifs, buts or maybes :thumbs:

Edited by AirgunGuy

Freedom to Roam

There is a legally defined Freedom to Roam in Scotland, and of course there is no Law of Trespass in Scotland.... These and similar comments have been heard on many IOSA and SOTA frequencies from time to time.....

Up until now, in early 2005 these statements were wrong, and in the following I shall outline what I believe was the historical situation in Scotland.

First of all; I am not professionally qualified on any legal matters what-so-ever, but I have spent some time discussing these topics with friends associated with Scottish Right of Way and Access Society, Scottish Natural Heritage and other similar organisations as well as raided the Edinburgh Central Library for books on the topic.

FREEDOM TO ROAM People in Scotland has for some time been able to enjoy a traditional ‘freedom to roam’ i.e. to go anywhere they pleased, and so long as no damage was done, the landowners could do nothing about it. Well, this is partially true. The Freedom to Roam has no legal standing in Scottish Law. It is NOT an ancient right as it only started to creep into the vocabulary over the last 100 to 150 years or so.

LAW OF TRESPASS Contrary to popular belief, there is a Law of Trespass in Scotland. However, the Law of Trespass in Scotland has been difficult to implement, and it is therefore rarely invoked. Whereas in say England and Wales the Law of Trespass makes it an offence to be on someone else's land without their permission, in Scotland the Law of Trespass only makes it an offence if there is damage to the land or property on that land. As always in Scottish Law, the onus of proof is on the accuser i.e. before raising a case for trespass the landowner or legal tenant or occupier of the land would need to be pretty certain that he could prove at damage had been done. The landowner has one ace up his sleeve as under Scottish Law, if someone is on someone else’s land and is asked to leave, he must do so at once. If the person or persons do not comply with such a request at once, the landowner has the right under Scottish Law to ‘use any such force as is reasonably required to remove the offender from the land’. The interpretation of this law is difficult of course, and in practice is therefore rarely invoked. So, if one wishes to stay on someone’s private land for a period of time for the purposes of camping overnight, operating amateur radio or whatever, it makes sense to obtain permission first.

Regards

That's fine mate if you're out for a stroll but if you're carrying a firearm (even sub 12FPE rifles are firearms in the eyes of the law) without the permission of the land owner then you're fcuked as it's armed trespass...no ifs, buts or maybes :thumbs:

no trespass laws in Scotland only England and Wales thats why I am wondering. if I am walking across a feild with my rifle in a case how can i be charged if you are allowed to walk threw there in the first place?! and if thats the case why are you allowed to walk threw a crowded town full of people when its in a case on your way to a gun shop but yet you cant cut threw some ones feild to get to where you are going?! as i say ive checked the law up here and it basicly states there are virtually no trespass laws in force up here! weird!

Regards

no trespass laws in Scotland only England and Wales thats why I am wondering. if I am walking across a feild with my rifle in a case how can i be charged if you are allowed to walk threw there in the first place?! and if thats the case why are you allowed to walk threw a crowded town full of people when its in a case on your way to a gun shop but yet you cant cut threw some ones feild to get to where you are going?! as i say ive checked the law up here and it basicly states there are virtually no trespass laws in force up here! weird!

it may depend what the copper who stops you thinks " tresspass with intent to persue game " ,

Just to clear this up.

There is a big difference between carrying your firearm to a gunsmiths for repair etc in a public place or walking to through someone elses field or whatever to get to your authorised permission...which would...in the eyes of the law be classed as an acceptable reason for carrying a firearm in a public place...BUT...if you are on someones ground with your firearm, without the permission of the land owner and are there with the intention of shooting game then you ARE committing armed tresapass...even if your rifle is in a case you can still be done as you don't have a valid reason for being there. If you don't have a valid reason for being there ie...en-route to your permission then you can and probably will be done with the offence.

Yes...you can carry your firearm in a public place...BUT...you must have a good reason for doing so.

I'm no lawyer but that is my understanding of the law in Scotland :thumbs:

Just to clear this up.

There is a big difference between carrying your firearm to a gunsmiths for repair etc in a public place or walking to through someone elses field or whatever to get to your authorised permission...which would...in the eyes of the law be classed as an acceptable reason for carrying a firearm in a public place...BUT...if you are on someones ground with your firearm, without the permission of the land owner and are there with the intention of shooting game then you ARE committing armed tresapass...even if your rifle is in a case you can still be done as you don't have a valid reason for being there. If you don't have a valid reason for being there ie...en-route to your permission then you can and probably will be done with the offence.

Yes...you can carry your firearm in a public place...BUT...you must have a good reason for doing so.

Sounds spot on to me mate..

• 3 weeks later...

Just to clear this up.

cool thanks.