bit on the side?

we all know with current agricultural wages at a low what do people do to earn that little extra spending money?

i recently went into a pub in arundel west sussex they had a really nice coffee table made of new railway sleeper.. thought that would be easy to make and looks great.. maybe a cheeky little extra cash to be made here

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carraghs Gem, on 23 October 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:   Im not very good at making things but im good at turning a profit, used to buy childrens riding ponys at general horse sales, clean them up a bit

I knew a guy who was struggling to make ends meet as an agri-worker. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the box. He robbed a norfolk post office, but used his own motorcycle for the getaway vehicle...

In the same boat , working on a yard as a Groom/Handyman/Caretaker, I only work 35 hours a week at just above minimum wage, I do anything I can, I used to do turkey's and trees at Christmas, Firewood

Posted Images

we all know with current agricultural wages at a low what do people do to earn that little extra spending money?

i recently went into a pub in arundel west sussex they had a really nice coffee table made of new railway sleeper.. thought that would be easy to make and looks great.. maybe a cheeky little extra cash to be made here

In the same boat , working on a yard as a Groom/Handyman/Caretaker, I only work 35 hours a week at just above minimum wage, I do anything I can, I used to do turkey's and trees at Christmas, Firewood in the winter, Mole trapping which I was not very good at, making bird boxes, rabbit hutches, ferret boxes, the odd brace of rabbits or a brace of table-ready ducks at the local pub.

If you have the get up and go, and a money making head, then you will always find work, help's if you can do a few things, the next thing I want to learn is making purse nets, also would love to learn leather work :thumbs:

• Like 1

I've worked full time at the same company since I left college 5 years ago.

Started off repairing computers in the workshop, then out on the road as a service engineer and now I'm back in the workshop as manager. But I've always done something on the side for a bit of extra income.

Work the doors on and off, sometimes do every weekend, sometimes go a few months without doing one and I try to have a white collar fight once a month, usually get £500 a go for them.

I've done all sorts over the years. Would love to find something I enjoy that's as secure as my full time job because I hate going to work every day.

If anyone wants to pay me £50 a day to remove there rabbits every day then give me a shout :-D

• Like 1
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

I am lucky the hard times have not hit myself or my business in fact taken on another lad this year .

But I I sell logs kindling wood in the winter

Lucky to have two estates that pay me for ferretting there from nov to feb

Sell things on ebay espeically stihl chainsaws make a fair bit out of that game.

I make log ring tables for clients and bees wax and turps them for a finnish .

ATB Cookie

I am lucky the hard times have not hit myself or my business in fact taken on another lad this year .

But I I sell logs kindling wood in the winter

Lucky to have two estates that pay me for ferretting there from nov to feb

Sell things on ebay espeically stihl chainsaws make a fair bit out of that game.

I make log ring tables for clients and bees wax and turps them for a finnish .

ATB Cookie

If you get enough customers as you know mate, the firewood can be a good earner, I get all my wood for free, so the initial out-goings are not a lot :thumbs:

In the same boat , working on a yard as a Groom/Handyman/Caretaker, I only work 35 hours a week at just above minimum wage, I do anything I can, I used to do turkey's and trees at Christmas, Firewood in the winter, Mole trapping which I was not very good at, making bird boxes, rabbit hutches, ferret boxes, the odd brace of rabbits or a brace of table-ready ducks at the local pub.

If you have the get up and go, and a money making head, then you will always find work, help's if you can do a few things, the next thing I want to learn is making purse nets, also would love to learn leather work :thumbs:

Done a fair bit for 18?.... :whistling:

My Mum split up from my Dad about 4 years ago, the house I moved to had a young lad living in the same court-yard, who is about 22, and his older brother live's nearby, who is about 26, they both took me under there wing, there dad was the one into firewood, I started off helping him, then branched off and get a few of my own customer's, with out stepping on his toes.

Mole-trapping, turkeys and x-mas tree's, I have done since I was about 12, and building simple animal shelters and other bits and bat's, I learnt of my old man, he was a cracking joiner, then I carried on when my Mum and Dad split up, not by any mean's have I done all these thing's in a large scale, just enough for when time's have been a bit tight on money, I left school at 16, so from that day I had to earn a wage to pay my Mum keep, or else I had no where to live!!!

• Like 1

My Mum split up from my Dad about 4 years ago, the house I moved to had a young lad living in the same court-yard, who is about 22, and his older brother live's nearby, who is about 26, they both took me under there wing, there dad was the one into firewood, I started off helping him, then branched off and get a few of my own customer's, with out stepping on his toes.

Mole-trapping, turkeys and x-mas tree's, I have done since I was about 12, and building simple animal shelters and other bits and bat's, I learnt of my old man, he was a cracking joiner, then I carried on when my Mum and Dad split up, not by any mean's have I done all these thing's in a large scale, just enough for when time's have been a bit tight on money, I left school at 16, so from that day I had to earn a wage to pay my Mum keep, or else I had no where to live!!!

:D

I've only one major regret when I was 14, can't really got into detail as I could still get f****d for it lol

What did Jim fix for you like mate.?..... :laugh:
  • Like 1

Im not very good at making things but im good at turning a profit, used to buy childrens riding ponys at general horse sales, clean them up a bit and sell them through the papers, also used to deal in show poultry, bought show quality birds at a big sale and sold them at smaller sales.

Same with auctions and car boot sales

Given up on most of that for time being, still have a room to clear of junk that I will most likely send to auction

I get a few quid a month from selling abit of venison during the season. Enough to pay for fuel if im out in the motor anyway. When i was younger i used to do abit of kennelwork and have a few garden rabbit control jobs wich i get paid for but due to the mixy this year i havent had to do too many of them. Im happy with the career im getting to at the minute.

:D

I knew you wood of picked up on that!!!