Beddy is barking

I have been getting the basics down,Retrieving,stop stay all that stuff going well,I have been putting the Beddy/whippet on squatters and hes just about there with catching,Hasent caught just yet i think its a fitness thing at the moment which im working on,,,,

Trouble is Hes starting to sound off,yelping i think with frustration when the rabbits are turning away from him..Should I hold off the trainning or carry on, Not to sure what to do Hes 12 months now.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

some would say keep him at it as familiarity should breed contempt (he'll stop barking when he's had a few), i would get him behind a lure a few times (he's going to catch it every time no frustration), if he barks at that it's maybe more excitement then maybe keeping him going will work, but unfortunately fact is once started it can be a sod to cure and terriers and whippets are both know for it i'm afraid,

• Like 1

its frustration mate your running the dog on rabbits it as no chance of getting get it on some easy ones ferreted or only run the dog when you think it can catch the dog will be sorted if you do this if not you will end up with a yapper get it sorted lad atb

• Like 1

I have been getting the basics down,Retrieving,stop stay all that stuff going well,I have been putting the Beddy/whippet on squatters and hes just about there with catching,Hasent caught just yet i think its a fitness thing at the moment which im working on,,,,

Trouble is Hes starting to sound off,yelping i think with frustration when the rabbits are turning away from him..Should I hold off the trainning or carry on, Not to sure what to do Hes 12 months now.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

most running dog unless its locked up 24/7 has more than enough speed to catch a rabbit, so i would think fitness is not the issue, some pups are reluctant to mouth at the start , its a confidence thing , tug items are good for building confidence in a pup who fumble over live game ,

you've got the right breeding for a yapper, but what i would do is give the pup a burn out earlier in the day a good hours exercise, because less energy in the system means less energy to express in the form of barking it takes that edge off them,

best of luck

I ended up selling my Whippet bitch on, to a guy who didn't mind the yapping. I personally will not tolerate it, yapping is something you have no real control over. I gave my Bitch every scenario I was given and ones I thought of myself, nothing worked. I gave her 5 Months from when she chased her first Rabbit and several weeks after she started catching regularly.....still yapped. Easy ones?.....she just yapped for a shorter period. My advice, for now, would be to sit on her for a Month or so, still early in the season and in her life. Work on obedience, retrieving, recall, fitness and stock breaking. Take her out for trips in the vehicle....whatever you can do other than run her on anything. I tried her on a Lure using Carcasses, to get some running and guaranteed catching, didn't work for me....may for you. I tried running mine with another dog....all kinds of things. Try them all, I was told you can get them to stop, I have had 3 I couldn't.

I would run it on the lamp, that will give the dog a better chance to catch. I think it can be a problem with beddy/whipps as sometimes they can be on the small side and lack that bit of acceleration so have to work harder to get back on the rabbit. this is just my personal opinion, i have a first cross just about 18 1/2" that struggles a little bit for speed daytime and will have the odd sqeak, no problem (quiet) on lamp catches very well. Sometimes when running in fields with bumpy reedy ground she looses sight of them with being small then might have the odd squeak. whilst i would rather it never done this the odd squeak is not a big issue for me .I think it is down to frustration at stuggling for speed, well i believe it is with my bitch.

Once they start opening up, they rarely stop. It becomes part of the chase for them. Whippets and whippet based lurchers are well known for it. Beddy x whippets are one of the worst culprits. If you can live with it then just accept that's how things will be. Careful entering, easy runs, squatters, etc could help but some dogs will open up no matter how careful you are.

Once they start opening up, they rarely stop. It becomes part of the chase for them. Whippets and whippet based lurchers are well known for it. Beddy x whippets are one of the worst culprits. If you can live with it then just accept that's how things will be. Careful entering, easy runs, squatters, etc could help but some dogs will open up no matter how careful you are.

got 3 and none of them open up atb

I bought one myself smashing looking bitch beddy whippet collie cross great nose stock broke good marker right up till ten month jus ferreting everything cummin together a year old a few easy rabbits on lamp and one morning she put a bunny up an started to open up wee bits tried leavin her off nothin tried Back to basics ferreting but to no avail sadly she went on as a pet

i defonatley would stop running him for a while mate once they start that its hard to stop it ive been there done it learnt from my mistakes id take the dog out ferreting if hes brokre to ferrets let him watch and catch a few in the net give him all the praise he can get then when hes a bit more mature give him some easy sitters :thumbs:

got 3 and none of them open up atb

I'm pleased for you. They are formidable little dogs and well up to the job asked of them. I don't, for one minute, think that it's a lack of pace that causes them to yap. I'm not saying that everyone will do it, just that it's a known issue with them. If you don't mind yapping then it's not a problem. I'd have a couple of Podengos if I didn't mind it. I'm an old got though so its not a trait I find desirable in a dog.