Cheapest Rimfire set up for rabbit hunting.

To be granted a fac you need good reason and at the moment you don't really have a reason to have one. If I was you I'd buy an air rifle keep asking around for permission then once you have secured some then apply. You will be a better hunter if you can stalk rabbits at 30 yards not 60.

You can still stalk rabbits at 30 yards with a rimfire you know :blink::tongue2:

Could stalk a rabbit to 30yards with a 308 I wouldn't advise it but I bet someone's tried ;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It does not matter where he looks for them, he has no permission,no fac, and by the sounds of it not a jot of experience so it really is rather academic is it not?

I picked up an old BRNO model 2 for 50 quid which looked like sh*t but shot well.

The stock was broken and there was hardly any blueing on it.

Fixed both of these, stuck a Parker Hale mod on it, and it gets a fraction of the time out that my springer get.

I still use it if the rabbits are easily spooked and i can't get close enough with the air rifle (which is much better fun)

I will join a small bore club if i can find one that isnt into all the bondage stuff of tieing up your arms and odd shooting position but not sure they do Hunter Field Target small bore shooting?

I want to get a FAC since may get into black powder pistols for re-enactment as well. Also the amount of people saying i need a PCP for hunting not underleaver springer made me think if i have to pay stupid amounts for a PCP may as well get a rimfire.

My area (cambridgeshire ) insisted on the land owner of my permission to personally vouch for me!! When my came there was no mentor required just as long as the land I shoot and have permission is cleared for firearms shooting. But I guess every force us different.

Think I have found a good small bore club to join but I have some more newbie question which is better for hunting bolt action or semi-auto also I presume I would need 2 scopes if I used the gun for both hunting and a 20M indoor range otherwise mean zeroing the scope each time?

I'm assuming you don't hold a shot gun license? If I was you I'd stick to an air rifle for rabbits. Going the FAC route just to shoot rabbits seems a bit OTT to me (given the process and financial aspect - application fee, cost of rifle/ammo safe, rifle, scope, ammo...) and I doubt you'll be granted one just for that anyway.

Obviously with the air rifle you can shoot pigeons both on the roost and on the ground. I don't know anyone who goes out specifically after woodies with a rimfire especially given that they can only shoot them on the ground. Shotgun would be ideal for decoying woodies, plus if you have held a SGC for a decent length of time I'm led to believe it would put you in better stead for a FAC should you feel it necessary.

To be honest it's a long way off untill i get my FAC and it will mostly be used down the club i expect. Also i may be going down the blackpowder pistol route at some point for re-enactment so seems sensible to get a FAC.

Could stalk a rabbit to 30yards with a 308 I wouldn't advise it but I bet someone's tried ;)

The bunny-vapour that results from it is rather amusing ;)

Shouldnt think theres much in the way of usable meat left after?

The bunny-vapour that results from it is rather amusing ;)

Shouldnt think theres much in the way of usable meat left after?

Depends if you like rabbit puree or not. Only did it once when out stalking with a mate, just to see what would happen.

as you asked about fac for rabbit and pidgeon hunting, it suggests you dont know the full ins and outs yet about fac, far better therefore to apply for a shotgun license first, you dont need to be a member of any club, or have any land to shoot over, its your right to hold a shotty certificate same as a driving license, it will also get you used to filling in the forms, and it does help a little later down the line if/when applying for fac, also if you hit any problems applying for a shotty, best to find out now, rather than later, as fac is even harder

plus, theres nothing worst than going looking for permission, only to tell the farmer, ok you dont know me from adam, but can you sign this and do this that and the other for me, where as, if you have a shotgun, and someone says yes, you can get on the land straight away, do a bit of pidgeon/rabbit/rat control for a farmer, and getting him to sign your application for fac should be pretty easy.

buy a fac cabinet even for a shotgun, its saves adding an ammo box later down the line

Can you still shoot pigion and rabbit with a shotgun without spoiling the meat with pellets also surely you would need to get much closer with a shotgun?

Are you sure you dont need good reason, land to shoot or join a club for a shotgun licence since seems rather too easy?

Edited by IanS

Can you still shoot pigion and rabbit with a shotgun without spoiling the meat with pellets also surely you would need to get much closer with a shotgun?

Are you sure you dont need good reason, land to shoot or join a club for a shotgun licence since seems rather too easy?

Pigeons are good with a shottie and its rare you'll find any shot in the meat, but IMHO, I'd recommend an air gun or rimmie to head shoot rabbits if you're eating them - shotguns can mean a punctured gut on a bunny which isn't too nice.

I shoot pigeons out to 50 yards with my 12 bore very successfully.

No, you definitely don't need land to anchor a shotgun cert to.