The Spread of Deer

Does anyone know just how extensive the spread of deer is across Wales, I might just be unfortunate but I seem to be in an area that is one of the least deer inhabited , I remember reading not long ago that the area I am in is one of the only ones that Muntjac haven't spread to yet lol.

There are a few area's that have decent fallow populations but its bloody hard to find anywhere that isn't tied up with stalkers already, mayby why poaching is so bad in the area.

For a recreational stalker just wanting a bit of venison for the pot would it be better off in an area full of munties ? I remember seeing that they also havent spread that far north, (Which is a bloody shame as have a job opportunity near newcastle hahaha)

Although it does seem to be a more common thing up there :)

Anyways just wanted a random chat about deer so feel free to add your 2p

Does anyone know just how extensive the spread of deer is across Wales, I might just be unfortunate but I seem to be in an area that is one of the least deer inhabited , I remember reading not long ago that the area I am in is one of the only ones that Muntjac haven't spread to yet lol.

There are a few area's that have decent fallow populations but its bloody hard to find anywhere that isn't tied up with stalkers already, mayby why poaching is so bad in the area.

For a recreational stalker just wanting a bit of venison for the pot would it be better off in an area full of munties ? I remember seeing that they also havent spread that far north, (Which is a bloody shame as have a job opportunity near newcastle hahaha)

read this the distribution maps are at the bottom http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/WalesIssuePaper.pdf/$FILE/WalesIssuePaper.pdf

i hunt through beds and bucks, sometimes get out into herts and cambs. over the last few years i have seen the mu ntjac numbers steadily climbing, and there have always been good fallow numbers in many of the wooded areas. however what has been surprising to me is the population of chinese water deer, they are evrywhere now, it is very hard to find any arable land to walk the dogs without putting one up. they are becoming a serious pest and cause a lot of road accidents. but they were good sport when we were allowed to run them with the lurchers!

I have guys come to me from wales for stalking,and they tell me there are very few deer of any kind in south Wales.Even the rabbits wear helmets is what they say.As a nation the welsh are some of the most passionate and knowledgeable hunters and dog men i have come across ,but there is an element of lawless individuals who have ruined the deer population through unsustainable pressure.

read this the distribution maps are at the bottom http://www.forestry....sIssuePaper.pdf

I am impressed by the keenness to help others by many members of this forum. In particular - Paulus - good on yer Paulus and keep up the good work :)

Andrew

very few deer in wales because every numpty with a rifle or running dog has them down and in the freezer before the back legs have even got over the border! If people wern't so f****n greedy and have it before their neighbour or someone else poaches it then the poor buggers may just get a chance to breed and spread becoming available to more people. Stupidity and greed seems to be why theres very few in wales.

very few deer in wales because every numpty with a rifle or running dog has them down and in the freezer before the back legs have even got over the border! If people wern't so f****n greedy and have it before their neighbour or someone else poaches it then the poor buggers may just get a chance to breed and spread becoming available to more people. Stupidity and greed seems to be why theres very few in wales.

Oh dear ratattack,you are in danger of doing an Anne Robinson!!!!

And you are obviously aware of that for a fact are you?? There are numerous Munty's and Roe right up to the border yes, but I think you will find they are in areas where they struggle to pass i.e. extensive waterways and motorways. No doubt, "poaching" doesn't exist outside of Wales :icon_eek:

And you are obviously aware of that for a fact are you?? There are numerous Munty's and Roe right up to the border yes, but I think you will find they are in areas where they struggle to pass i.e. extensive waterways and motorways. No doubt, "poaching" doesn't exist outside of Wales :icon_eek:

Not what was said at all, plenty poaching all over the country, the point is i know plenty welsh guys in the hunting community who are all of the same train of thought.....deer.....holy f**k quick shoot it or get the dog onto it! It's not just them who think like that either hence why theres no deer there :cray: So yeah i am aware of the fact ta :bye:

Deer swim and will easily cross roads quite happily everywhere else in the country.

Edited by ratattack

Not what was said at all, plenty poaching all over the country, the point is i know plenty welsh guys in the hunting community who are all of the same train of thought.....deer.....holy f**k quick shoot it or get the dog onto it! It's not just them who think like that either hence why theres no deer there :cray: So yeah i am aware of the fact ta :bye:

Deer swim and will easily cross roads quite happily everywhere else in the country.

You're talking absolute crap :fool: