Kelpie lurchers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

//

This little bitch is Kelpie/Collie X Grew and she ain't too bad so far. Looking forward to this season and getting a bit of graft in front of her now.  

Austrailian cattle dog bred lurcher to a racing whippet A real hard dog,massive prey drive,

Posted Images

Thanks for the advice, I have a lurcher that's bred grey/whippet x greyhound/kelpie and I've noticed he nips a lot at my other dog. He usually drags him t the floor by the scruff of his neck. Is that a normal thing for a kelpie to do ? And to clarify why my name is thieving mac is because my lurcher is called mac an he's a brilliant dog other than pinching everything and hiding or burying it somewhere. Don't want anyone to think I'm referring to myself. And just to add that's a very well built dog above I hope mine fills out a bit soon.

Guest Leveller

This little bitch is Kelpie/Collie X Grew and she ain't too bad so far. Looking forward to this season and getting a bit of graft in front of her now.

2n8rk7p.jpg

Edited by Leveller
  • Like 6

There are differences between kelpies and collies but, by the same token, there is a big difference between individual kelpies and individual collies. A lot of people buy a kelpie, expecting it to be a biddable dingo, then raise it like a collie and wonder why it turns out like a collie...not that "turning out like a collie" is a bad thing I hasten to add!

I've met a lot of collies that I'd rather own than some kelpies I've met.

A lot of cattle owners in Australia are now moving towards using kelpies as they work their stock in a calmer way. However, this can mean that the cattle also need to be dog-trained ie how to respond to a dog which works in that way as oppossed to a reactive instinct.

As I've said before, I have kelpies because they suit myself, my temperament and my working conditions but I wouldn't say they're better or worse than any other sheepdog, collie or heeler...just different.

• Like 1

dont these dogs an the cattle dog crosses make old bones?? cos i never seem to notice any of a ripe old age, i know there are a few sappling about of both types, but its not very often ye see an old dog :hmm:

chalkwarren have ye any experience of these herding type dogs crossed to a terrier x lurchers?? :thumbs:

I've heard of a heeler which was still working at twenty!

My eldest kelpie (the one in my avatar) was hit and run over by a van when he was eleven months old. He survived with a fractured pelvis and needed crate rest while it healed...physically. It took a lot longer for the mental scars to heal and, as a result, he's the only dog I've ever had who hates fireworks or other sudden noises.

He started slowing up a bit about three years ago (he's now coming up for thirteen) so I took him to my new vet for a once over. He took some x-rays and said he couldn't believe he'd survived the accident, let alone the intervening years as his pelvis looked like an EU banana and non EU banana side by side. The vet was even more surprised when I told him he'd caught two rabbits a few days before. I gave him some pain killers and a fortnight of rest and he's been fine since then. Hasn't caught a rabbit for a while but still gets the occasional rat.

• Like 3

There are differences between kelpies and collies but, by the same token, there is a big difference between individual kelpies and individual collies. A lot of people buy a kelpie, expecting it to be a biddable dingo, then raise it like a collie and wonder why it turns out like a collie...not that "turning out like a collie" is a bad thing I hasten to add!

A lot of cattle owners in Australia are now moving towards using kelpies as they work their stock in a calmer way. However, this can mean that the cattle also need to be dog-trained ie how to respond to a dog which works in that way as oppossed to a reactive instinct.

As I've said before, I have kelpies because they suit myself, my temperament and my working conditions but I wouldn't say they're better or worse than any other sheepdog, collie or heeler...just different.

do you keep your dogs for hunting of some type or herding of some type?

do you keep your dogs for hunting of some type or herding of some type?

Hi Patterdalejoel! My three are kept purely for ferreting, bushing etc and have caught rabbit, rat, squirrel and pigeon...never in the open after a run though: they're just not fast enough. They do catch more in cover than any previous lurchers I've had though.

Actually, one of mine once went into automatic-pilot when it realized a lamb had been seperated from it's mother. It worked it through a maze of wire until they were back together and then followed them for about fifty yards until I said, "That'll do!"

Edited by Neal