wanting to grow a hedge so question is...............

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

always best to see a trimmed bush

I know my stuff on hedge planting do 100clicks of barerooting ever season and your attempts of saving money will be in vain. You will have a better hedge quicker if you go for proper plants from a su

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

You need about 500 bare roots plants can get blackthorn for £300 delivered is that more than you like to spend .

ATB Cookie

Hawthorn would always be my choice for hedging, once the roots are established it grows fast enough. Bloody good for keeping unwanted folk out. When cut/clipped it looks great and is very forgiving if you need to get a little harsh with it and take it right back. One other good point is that it does attract all sorts of garden birds that feel very safe within it.

Just a point i've found with it is that it doesn't like other plants growing along side it. Elder for one, it grows faster than hawthorn and forces its sun out and if left can give you large gaps. So other than cleaning out the bottom of your hedge yearly , the only other thing you do is trim it up.

Hawthorn would always be my choice for hedging, once the roots are established it grows fast enough. Bloody good for keeping unwanted folk out. When cut/clipped it looks great and is very forgiving if you need to get a little harsh with it and take it right back. One other good point is that it does attract all sorts of garden birds that feel very safe within it.

Just a point i've found with it is that it doesn't like other plants growing along side it. Elder for one, it grows faster than hawthorn and forces its sun out and if left can give you large gaps. So other than cleaning out the bottom of your hedge yearly , the only other thing you do is trim it up.

always best to see a trimmed bush :D
  • Like 1

You need about 500 bare roots plants can get blackthorn for £300 delivered is that more than you like to spend .

ATB Cookie

yes its more than id like to be honest although that may well be a good deal but,sure i saw some deals on the stuff for 3/ 4ft bare root plants mail order,il have a look into it cheers Edited by hunter1372

You may know but when you plant it you're best to plant them in a MWMW pattern if that makes sense. Zig Zag, it will make the hedge thicker and denser when its mature.

didnt know cheers :thumbs:

yes mate thats the idea cheers for the info :thumbs:

Why not just get a load of little leylandi conifers,couple of quid each,couple of feet apart and they can grow 3 feet a year within a couple of years your have a hedge that looks sensible as well as do the job.

Why not just get a load of little leylandi conifers,couple of quid each,couple of feet apart and they can grow 3 feet a year within a couple of years your have a hedge that looks sensible as well as do the job.

just taken them down mate to say they need constant trimming is a fecking understatement :laugh: more trouble than they worth for me and after 8 years they had to go :thumbs:
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

I know my stuff on hedge planting do 100clicks of barerooting ever season and your attempts of saving money will be in vain.

You will have a better hedge quicker if you go for proper plants from a supplier get a mini digger trench it get some good quality soil into trench .

Dig them in some mulch to stop weeds and spray the weeds out when they come in the spring the thing that stunts or kills a hedge more than any factor is weeds in the first few years.

The cost and effort will be outweighed by the result as the hedges put in on the cheap have huge failed sections and are slow growing.

ATB Cookie

• Like 1

just taken them down mate to say they need constant trimming is a fecking understatement :laugh: more trouble than they worth for me and after 8 years they had to go :thumbs:

Oh right ok :D .....do what i do then and get some other mug to do it !.....................

I know they take some looking after,just think they,re a nice looking hedge if looked after.

trim mine once a year does the trick ...

I know my stuff on hedge planting do 100clicks of barerooting ever season and your attempts of saving money will be in vain.

You will have a better hedge quicker if you go for proper plants from a supplier get a mini digger trench it get some good quality soil into trench .

Dig them in some mulch to stop weeds and spray the weeds out when they come in the spring the thing that stunts or kills a hedge more than any factor is weeds in the first few years.

The cost and effort will be outweighed by the result as the hedges put in on the cheap have huge failed sections and are slow growing.

ATB Cookie

il think on your advice thanks :thumbs: