doing as well as expected ...but have a big problem with slugs thats been sorted ...once the sun appears which it has too ...supposed to be a scorcher tomoro and that will do it some good .....put the first of our birds out today

Edited by MOO

Hi chap here in buckinghamshire i have only just got mine in, we put in two covers two weeks ago and four on sunday, today i redrilled one of the first plots as the seed rotted, the bloody ground has been to wet to get on, we planted maize millet and sorgum, lots of slugs around too so plenty of slug pellets needed, my remaining crop from my first drilling session is going well ready for some fert soon,

Edited by pro keeper

my maize and millet has been in for nearly 5 weeks and the maize is only 5 inch high and no sign of the millet. had 2 plots were nothing came so am going to have to re do when the weather allows. what do you guys suggest for a late mix. utopia any good?

All maize seed rotted out in our clay ground. Slugs have eaten kale off along with flea beetle although pellets and spray has been used. I've blocks of cover thats meant to be maize which is just soil and ELS cover that's just redshank! Joyous!

Some crops went in on our heavy ground only last week but then our neighbours had to re drill 150 acres fodder maize at same time because it had rotted in ground! Covered everything in slug pellets and it's just starting to show fingers crossed. Just hope it grows can't afford to have 60 acres fail!

For once I am pleased we are organic, we took the decision 6 years ago to plant permanent covers and they are at a stage where they now need thinning means one less worry this year :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

For once I am pleased we are organic, we took the decision 6 years ago to plant permanent covers and they are at a stage where they now need thinning means one less worry this year :thumbs:

Hi what permanent covers have you planted .Wolfie

mine is a disaster....too wet ..one plot is just redshank ,its swamped the maize ,we couldnt get onto the land to spray...another section was under water for 3 weeks so no maize at all....cant even walk on it let alone do anything else ..

as wolfie said what permanant cover is the solution or is it just down to a bad year