Army Redundancies

I've just been accepted for redundancy after almost 19 years in the Army, 77K and an immediate pension. Been watching the news ofer the last few weeks and it's not looking good for a lot of Regiments with amalgamations/ possible disbandments looming before 2020. Pension changes in 2015 can only mean our soldiers will be f****d over even more. I feel like a weight's been lifted from my shoulders, can't wait to start the second chapter with my wee family...

I've just been accepted for redundancy after almost 19 years in the Army, 77K and an immediate pension. Been watching the news ofer the last few weeks and it's not looking good for a lot of Regiments with amalgamations/ possible disbandments looming before 2020. Pension changes in 2015 can only mean our soldiers will be f****d over even more. I feel like a weight's been lifted from my shoulders, can't wait to start the second chapter with my wee family...

the changes never bode well you only have to look at 2005 when the old war disablement pension was changed to the armed forces compensation scheme. i wish you well with your new life but you will be surprised how far 77k goes :thumbs:

Its a joke mate.....i spent just 7 years in forces and quit cause of my ex.......yet now they cutting down but on the other hand still advertising......i had a letter through post from mod last month wanting me to attend a PTSD meeting after serving in Bosnia with UN...seems to me they need to sort out thier priorities....i mean 19 years service and spring this on you

I applied for it in Jan because I was in the bracket so it's not a surprise, I thought it would be better to go as a volunteer than spend the next 3 years worrying if I would be next on the hit list. 6 months to do...

• Like 2

I applied for it in Jan because I was in the bracket so it's not a surprise, I thought it would be better to go as a volunteer than spend the next 3 years worrying if I would be next on the hit list. 6 months to do...

Good luck with what ever you do in future mate....after 19 years service you deserve it

• Like 2

Good luck. Will you look for another job now? What sort of thing would you fancy doing?

Probably do a bit of driving in the meantime and moving up Darlington next June when the kids finish school, thinking about laser tattoo removal, need to cost up the courses and look at insurance etc.

Im gona get to my 12 year point and see where i go from there. Ive fancied farriery for a while.

TBH i dont know any one whos been affected to much. Every one who i kknow that has got there redundancy has asked for it and most of them who have gone were a waste of skin anyway. Im obviously not privvy to whats going to get cut and what not but it doesnt seem totaly ridiculous. For example why do we need a ton a RSigs sitting round who were employed to fix radios when the radios just dont get fixed like that any more. Its not like this extra how every many blokes with loose there jobs they just wont get recruited in the future.

Any way good luck mate, youl be able to get a mansion in Darlington for £77k.

• Like 1

Is it not true that whilst theyre reducing the numbers of british soldiers theyre about to embark on recruiting soldiers from ethnic minorities because they make up 30% of the population who are eligable to join up?

Will always respect any man/woman who fights for there country , the way this Government treat There OWN PEOPLE has me wondering why anyone who has watched this Country be Poluted with foriegners who are bleeding the country dry while the oap's , wounded servicemen/women , working class are treated like 3rd never mind 2nd class citizen's want to fight for a Government that fights for everyone's rights but there own peoples rights !

• Like 5

Is it not true that whilst theyre reducing the numbers of british soldiers theyre about to embark on recruiting soldiers from ethnic minorities because they make up 30% of the population who are eligable to join up?

I know that the well recruited Corps are no longer recruiting foreign & commonwealth soldiers but for units where the recruiting is poor there will always be a back fill of ethnic minority soldiers. They're on about using contractors for logistics etc and greater use of the TA and reservists. A lot on commonwealth people I know done their five years, got their passport and left the service as a british citizen but on the other hand, a lot of them are in for the long haul. It will be interesting to see the state of play in 2020 and how well we cope with commitments flying at us left right and centre. The new pension might the breaking point for a lot of people when it comes in in 2015.

Darlington will make Afganistan look like Los Vegas !!

Good luck to you mate, as has been said, with 19 years under your belt you deserve it.

For the record, I think UKIP are the only party saying they will increase defence spending and numbers in the Army.

Edited by WILF

When the full cuts are implemented the British army will, strictly speaking, cease to exist.....absolutely true!

Belowe 100,000 personnel is classed as a militia......an army has to have 100,000 plus in order to be classed as an army!!!

What a sad day for this once great country and what does Lefty Dave worry about?......queers getting "married" ?

f**k sake Cameron, get a grip or f**k off and give Dan Hannan, Boris Johnson or Nigel Farage a chance to get things right!!