lurcher stopping in the middle of a course

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

were you raped by a saluki i think you may need some help or just someone to talk to about it.Its not good holding all of these feelings deep inside

It sounds like you have over matched it too early from your post and he is getting used to stuff getting away and not bothering......show him nothing for as long as possible and then try again would b

Firstly never run him with another dog mate. Just you and him, plenty of bonding and let him get used to what the lamp does and the lamping game works. Maybe still too young to be lamping with yet, gi

leave him be for a few months then show him another lurcher killin a few and he will be keen as mustard ,remember he is still only a pup .Enjoy him as a pup let him mature its easy to brake a dog but its hard to make a good dog

It sounds like you have over matched it too early from your post and he is getting used to stuff getting away and not bothering......show him nothing for as long as possible and then try again would be my tuppence worth.

Make choices for your dog with regards to how easy his runs are and the ground your running on, I.e. it's not worth running a dog with low confidence on a place like a golf course.

Think for your dog and if it ain't right, don't try him.

i agree we this , showed her too much too early , use to her quarry getting away and dont bother running, dont show her nothing for a while , get her mouthing netted rabbits out ferreting should help her confidence when the season comes

Might have a strain, hard to say without seeing it. Might look ok running about but chasing quarry puts more strain on the dog than just carrying on so can go unnoticed. Be interesting to know if it pulls up after turning a certain way or having to fully stretch to come on terms. Anyhow, as the others say, bit young so give it a rest and it'll sort either problem out.

It sounds like you have over matched it too early from your post and he is getting used to stuff getting away and not bothering......show him nothing for as long as possible and then try again would be my tuppence worth.

Make choices for your dog with regards to how easy his runs are and the ground your running on, I.e. it's not worth running a dog with low confidence on a place like a golf course.

Think for your dog and if it ain't right, don't try him.

Good advice in above post...don't let him chase ANYTHING..for now atleast...keep him on the leash when you take him out and just let him see bunnies,it will or atleast should gee him up and if he is carrying an unseen injury he wants nothing chasing anyway...just let your mates dog do the rabbit chasing for now...try him again come September and like Baw said you'll know either way if he's gonna do it or not but you'll know at the end of the day you've given the dog every chance? ATB Andy. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Mate give the dog at least a month off and then get back out. If you dont already, get to know your ground. Know where the rabbits will be feeding, know where they run to. Get between them and home before you light up. Look for one thats not realised your there if possible. Get as close as possible before you slip. And if it looks like its going to reach cover put the light on the bushes in front of it and wriggle, this should hopefully cause it to turn off and run along paralel to the cover, giving the dog a better chance. If he stops then just put the lead back on and walk back to the car, no praise no fuss no stroking, no talking to him. In the car and home in silence, put him in the kennel. If he doesnt catch it still give him some praise, at least he tried. And if he DOES catch it (which he should if youve picked the right run for him) go f*****g mad with the praise, lots of stroking and fuss and "good boys"! Then home. Dont make the mistake of going for more. End on a high note. Get him home, feed him one of the rabbits back legs and settle him down for the night.

• Like 1

i think you have ruined your pup mate ran him to early it will not help a pups confidence running them this time of year when its too hot they cant turn right on hard ground and can pull muscles etc. you could of waited 3 month more and had a dog that would of been at age to start bringing on on the 3/4 grown rabbits and he would of matured more.i got a bitch at 8m old who had been started in the summer time the same bitch now is a picky runner imo she has been over ran too early and ruined