Labrador body shape

Hello all,

I'm planning on getting a labrador in the near future. I'm after a jack of all trades, as I'm a novice at most things so the dog and I will muddle through learning together.

Decided on a labrador, but slightly confused about their breeding. I'm after an athletic, slender type dog who can follow me on runs and long hikes, but keep seeing these chunky, tank like dogs out and about. Is this body shape down to lack of decent exercise, or is this genetic (the 'chunky pups' you see advertised).

Either way, what's the best way of ensuring I get an athletic, slighter dog.

Thank you for any information,

TT

i thought same somtimes, have seen racey types at shoots, and heavier set types there as well . Maybe its differnt lines of labs, both types seem to work flat out,? but i like the more racey type my self. May be lab people might know about this post .!

its down to lines you find dogs with Drakeshead in are more lean atheltic types :)

have you got any side profile pics of that type of dog? presume that's what you've got?

yup heres a few past and present :)

this was my old boy he was 12 in this picture sadly lost him a few months later :(

100_3233.jpg

and some others

000_2001.jpg

100_3252.jpg

100_0136.jpg

100_0271.jpg

48eb609e.jpg

0ad56368.jpg

• Like 1

Mine is a small athletic type who hunts hard and her small size helps her getting into cover.

Fern at a year

IMG00049-20100421-1928.jpg

april10004.jpg

IMG00309-20101013-1741.jpg

She is now 3 years

DSCF2702.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

She has alot of trialing lines in her pedigree, which alot of them are breeding smaller and fast.

Edited by Dave C
  • Like 7

DAVE, hi that bitch you have is a fantastic shape ive only seen 2 dogs before of this type, the owners of a grouse moor had one and my mate who owns a gun shop both dogs are not drakeshead, but knowing the back ground to both owners there dogs will be well bred and out of quality lines, maybe ill pluck up the courage one day to ask

ive got a drakeshead bitch the very shape your looking for, think its down to the trails and speed needed in competition why there bred this way .one thing i know there very good to train .will get pick up later .

Mine is a small athletic type who hunts hard and her small size helps her getting into cover.

Fern at a year

IMG00049-20100421-1928.jpg

april10004.jpg

IMG00309-20101013-1741.jpg

She is now 3 years

DSCF2702.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

She has alot of trialing lines in her pedigree, which alot of them are breeding smaller and fast.

nice bitch that fit+ strong looking , thats the type i like (but) not to heavy :thumbs:

Depends alot on the age of the dog aswell. My last bitch stayed in great shape winter and summer didn't matter what I fed her. Then when she got to about 6 she started to put on weight in the summer, didn't matter how little food she got she stayed in the same shape. Even when she had the weight on it didn't stop her workin! 15-20 water retrieves at ducks and geese no bother.