working young dogs through the summer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

would have to kit mine out in scuba gear or at the very least a snorkel, its that wet around here

i dont know what your opinion is but i will still give my youngon a few runns to keep her keen whats your opinion

If ive a youngster in the kennel,no matter what time of year it is,then the dog needs its education,waiting for the season to come around will mean a dog missing an important part of said education,yo

Posted Images

I have to have a chuckle when people talk about "The Season" !!!! There is no "season" for vermin; OK, I understand, and respect the "September to Febuary " season that stops the hunting of mating, pregnant or young, and this usualy refers to hares.....but rabbits and foxes, to a farmer or keeper, are fair game ALL year round ! And most of the people who talk about "The Season" are running dogs,which of course is ilegal at ANY time, with the exception of rabbits and rats ! I'd LOVE to know the real numbers of dogmen who still run a summer hare, it will be far more than those who admit it !! LOL !! I know for a fact that there are those who condem people for "summer hunting" on these sites, yet do exactly the same themselves...Hypocrytes !!

Cheers.

• Like 4

If ive a youngster in the kennel,no matter what time of year it is,then the dog needs its education,waiting for the season to come around will mean a dog missing an important part of said education,youngsters go through stages when they soak up knowledge gained in the field,they can never ever gain the same level of training in a kennel.I find a place away from my doorstep,then put a small dent in the rabbit population,you don,t need to be looking at catching large amounts,just a few easy runs and letting the dog mooch about is all thats needed.

• Like 5

If ive a youngster in the kennel,no matter what time of year it is,then the dog needs its education,waiting for the season to come around will mean a dog missing an important part of said education,youngsters go through stages when they soak up knowledge gained in the field,they can never ever gain the same level of training in a kennel.I find a place away from my doorstep,then put a small dent in the rabbit population,you don,t need to be looking at catching large amounts,just a few easy runs and letting the dog mooch about is all thats needed.

There are absolutely no rules when bringing on a youngster as long as that pup comes away on top thinking it has won

• Like 2
Guest long-tail

anyone that gets the dogs out up the field everyday is theoreticaly summer hunting in my book,you got get them out everyday and for me its a walk up the field,ok not intentionaly hunting i know but if they pick up the odd rabbit i aint going to complain about it beats road walking bores the shite out of me

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

i believe in showing young dogs a few bunnies through the summer not so much lamping just abit of day time walking to get there eye in on there quarry nothing to over board if they can knock a few day time bunnies off lamped ones in september should be no problem :thumbs:

IMO A pup doesn't know the difference between seasons, and a kill is a kill for a youngster, where I walk my dogs for exercise twice daily its tied on they will run stuff unless i kept them on the lead permanently, which i don't and cant. Totally different ball game if your hunting all summer (like some pricks do) to bringing a pup on.

Jims first rabbit, 6 months and a bit, i couldn't stop him if i tried !!

post-33221-0-56219700-1337724117_thumb.jpg

You only get out what you put in MOO, he gets looked after better than me, 2 long walks a day EVERY day not festering in a run like some lazy cun*$, works a treat :thumbs:

Edited by Dillon