Mole traps filled with soil

All molecatchers have experienced this sort of thing at one time or another.(and not just with duffus traps ! LOL)You learn how to avoid this sort of outcome,or at least keep it to an absolute minimum.Im pretty sure also that others have offered advice on this query before,so my advice would be to SEARCH for previous posts.

Edited by earth-thrower

I had a bit of this problem on my last job it was a farm and the little buggers was setting off the traps and blocking the run off,i was using barrels and scissors,could not work out what was wrong as never had this problem at this scale before but the farmer did mention that the farm next door had a chap trying to catch them with the same style trap, so i think they were trap shy.

Anyway i bought some geniune talpex traps and had a 100% catch rate job done!.

I learnt about the talpex and how to set it by reading different post on ere, so thanks to everyone on ere for there general chat :thumbs:

now im not an expert mole catcher, i just catch any that come on to our smallholding, but i dont think i do too badly as manage to catch most moles the come onto our turf, but i read a book last year about molecatching and in there it mentioned that if you leave the tunnel open for too long or dont cover it up properly then the mole will smell the fresh air and fill in that tunnel as a defense mechanism against weasels and stuff...as i said im no expert and that is just something i read in a book but to my mind it makes sense

atb Ratty

now im not an expert mole catcher, i just catch any that come on to our smallholding, but i dont think i do too badly as manage to catch most moles the come onto our turf, but i read a book last year about molecatching and in there it mentioned that if you leave the tunnel open for too long or dont cover it up properly then the mole will smell the fresh air and fill in that tunnel as a defense mechanism against weasels and stuff...as i said im no expert and that is just something i read in a book but to my mind it makes sense

atb Ratty

i wouldn,t believe all you read, covering properly is correct , but leaving it open for too long is shite

• Like 2

atb Ratty

i wouldn,t believe all you read, covering properly is correct , but leaving it open for too long is shite

Thanks guys. It is light soil and while I can find tunnels eventually I find it hard to follow them as my screwdriver goes in so easily. So I usually have to dig about a bit to make a hole in the right place. The holes end up a little bit too big.

Obviously it would be best if the holes were exactly right. But when they are not I have repacked the sides with soil. Could I also cover small gaps between the ends of the traps and the edge of the holes with long grass?

no such thing as trap shy, the moles dont know its a trap, everyone will get this from time to time, i would say mainly by rushing about and not taking time to set it properly,

lol "moles dont no its a trap", did a mole tell you this??, i never under estimate the intelligence of animals be it domestic or wild because just when you think you no it all they prove you wrong, even fish no what a line and hook are, and i must remember to leave my tracksuit at home as high speed mole trapping is not the way forward it seems lol, all in jest, blocked holes traps gone off what makes moleing fun and keeps you on your toes.

The best way to catch moles is to catch a female mole and extract her (fanny juice ) for want of a better phrase ! works a treat on any sort of trap.

or you could just do what you did to catch the first mole and put the trap back in the ground

• Like 2
no such thing as trap shy, the moles dont know its a trap

I agree with this, I don't think moles get trap shy. I think trap avoidance depends on soil conditions, set up, etc., but I have never had the sense that moles learn to avoid traps.

We also trap a lot of pocket gophers here in California, and they most definitely do learn to avoid traps.