please help, advice needed,

Hello all,im writing this as i stand the most chance of advice from you lads on a problem has occured with my two lurchers, these two have grown up together,slept eaten workd together there whole lives,upon returning home to pick the dogs up midday yesterday to then take them to work with me as i do every day, i had a quick game of ball in my field,now my home wich ill add is a caravan i went back in with the dogs to grab some stuff to return to my work my back was turned and they went full on fighting,now i dont believe in hitting dogs but upon seperating it they both recieved a hidingi have never delt before so as you can imagine they were aware that they have done something very bad,now one is a first x beddy whippet dog and one a collie whippet grey mix bitch the beddy whip is a bit of a problem dog, only likes my other dog no others,very guardy extremley loyal,very head strong, the other completly opposite loves everyone very obediant and is the dominat out the two with a year between them the beddywhip worships the ground she walks on, in play games will submit to the whip grey and love it.

After the fight they semeed fine, i took em to work after with me they played after work fine done there little dance thing and stuff,now obviously if this happens (fight) while im at work in morning, i wont be there to seperate and i can see it going one way, dead dog, now i love em both so much, the bitch is a good girl and wouldent hurt a fly, unless your prey lol,the dog is a handfull but is a very affectinate dog and my mrs and him are very close, my question to all of you is Help,what do i do, hed never be rehomed because of how he is,would go from pillar to post.

pts id think ive let him down, he very loyal dog, muzzle while im not there,or is he just a ticking time bomb,have any of you had lurchers fight does it result in a dead dog as with terriers or is it differnt please your suggestions will be so appreciated im really not coping well with this problem cheers rich

kennel them seperate when your not there

i wish i could but living in a caravan,gona be tricky what you think about a muzzle, picked one up yesterday havent tried it yet but its one he can pant and drink in, are lurcher fights like terriers ie till the death or do they squabble and sort it? cheers

i think i would get rid of the male, 1st most males dont fight bitches, 2nd you said he is a prob dog and dont like any other dog. Where as your bitch, you said as neve been a prob.? i think you prob no the answer really.!

• Like 2

Might have been a one off, I know it was quite stressful at the time and caught you off gaurd but carry on as normal even best mates sometimes have scraps, gets a few things off their chests dogs arnt much different really, dogs do scrap with bitches, dont go jumping into something you regret later, I have a first cross beddy/whip dog sounds just like yours, missus loves him to bits can get quite jelous though, hope it works out for you and you find a solution atb nasher

A large crate will do mate which also folds away,I live in a caravan to and just had a dog crated for 6 weeks due to an injury and worked for me.

This sounds a good idea I would stay away from the muzzle idea though
  • Like 1

Like has already been said, dogs don't normally fight with bitches. A dog which is already a problem dog, by your own admission, needs sorting, one way or another. At the very least he should be castrated then give it a few months for the lack of hormones to alter his behaviour. If he continues to be aggressive or difficult in any way whatsoever, then have him put down. In the mean time, never allow them to be loose together, and learn more about how to control dogs in general. If the dog has problems, and it sounds as though he's never been properly trained or disciplined (forgive me if I'm wrongly reading between the lines) then how about getting some training for yourself on how better to understand the dynamics of owning a pack (yes, two dogs is a pack) and handling them.

In your situation I'd contact Jim Greenwood for behavioural training and advice.

http://www.jandjgreenwood.co.uk/

• Like 1

Hello all,im writing this as i stand the most chance of advice from you lads on a problem has occured with my two lurchers, these two have grown up together,slept eaten workd together there whole lives,upon returning home to pick the dogs up midday yesterday to then take them to work with me as i do every day, i had a quick game of ball in my field,now my home wich ill add is a caravan i went back in with the dogs to grab some stuff to return to my work my back was turned and they went full on fighting,now i dont believe in hitting dogs but upon seperating it they both recieved a hidingi have never delt before so as you can imagine they were aware that they have done something very bad,now one is a first x beddy whippet dog and one a collie whippet grey mix bitch the beddy whip is a bit of a problem dog, only likes my other dog no others,very guardy extremley loyal,very head strong, the other completly opposite loves everyone very obediant and is the dominat out the two with a year between them the beddywhip worships the ground she walks on, in play games will submit to the whip grey and love it.

After the fight they semeed fine, i took em to work after with me they played after work fine done there little dance thing and stuff,now obviously if this happens (fight) while im at work in morning, i wont be there to seperate and i can see it going one way, dead dog, now i love em both so much, the bitch is a good girl and wouldent hurt a fly, unless your prey lol,the dog is a handfull but is a very affectinate dog and my mrs and him are very close, my question to all of you is Help,what do i do, hed never be rehomed because of how he is,would go from pillar to post.

pts id think ive let him down, he very loyal dog, muzzle while im not there,or is he just a ticking time bomb,have any of you had lurchers fight does it result in a dead dog as with terriers or is it differnt please your suggestions will be so appreciated im really not coping well with this problem cheers rich

Is the bitch older than the dog ??

If every person who as ever had a dog that caused a set to now and again,had it culled,castrated or given away,then there would be an awful lot of dead,minus nuts or passed about jukels about.Put the dog in its place,don,t be over hard unless needed,better to discipline than cull,keep an eye on the situation,certain activities may trigger a negative reaction from the dog,stay clear of them.A dog with a bit of attitude would possibly be an asset round the caravan,control the dog and if and only if the situation becomes to much for you to handle,dig an hole for it.

• Like 4

Cheers all for replys,well appreciated maybee they did need checking into place,theyve got on so well since pups, bitch having a year on the dog approx,they always together and have been with me 5 year and 4 year from 8 weeks mean the world to me and the mrs,dogs have been fine all day back to usuall selves,will keep a close eye on things cheers rich

Sure its just not the time where the dog now asserts itself as the dominant animal, i would have said that it was always going to happen, and will sort itself out.

Or just follow the THL standard advice and 'get rid mate'. :censored:

• Like 1