Just been getting ours sorted out for spring...we bought an old property recently with extensive gardens, but all the raised beds etc had gone to pot....full of nettles and weeds.

Hoping to have a really good produce this year..we now have 7 big raised beds and a good plot to plant some other stuff. Can't wait.

Im getting my allotment ready, digging it over and adding manure. This year im concentrating on the main veg and not bothering with fancy stuff that no-one eats much of.

Potatoes, onions, cabbage, turnip, sprouts.

Beetroot to pickle.

Marrow and pumpkin for chutney.

Plus my asparagus trench should be ready this year! cant wait for that!

i need to get my ass in gear and go rake off all the dead weeds turn it over and throw in some manure and turn it again before i even think about what to put in come the spring.......i love an overgrown allotment to go at(not) but when its the only one you can get then it just has to be done :thumbs:

This will be my first season in my allotment. I've got half a dozen hens in, and they are laying well. Just put in four 8' x 8' beds and two 4' x 8' beds and filled with manure and topsoil. Seeing as I'm new to it, I'm just going to try red onions, white onions, turnips, leeks and beetroot. Basicaly stuff that doesn't take to much looking after, and what we eat all the time !

Cheers.

This will be my first season in my allotment. I've got half a dozen hens in, and they are laying well. Just put in four 8' x 8' beds and two 4' x 8' beds and filled with manure and topsoil. Seeing as I'm new to it, I'm just going to try red onions, white onions, turnips, leeks and beetroot. Basicaly stuff that doesn't take to much looking after, and what we eat all the time !

Cheers.

You've got to have carrots and potatoes, you can get some good strains that are easy to grow.

• Like 1

Cheers.

You've got to have carrots and potatoes, you can get some good strains that are easy to grow.

you forgot runner beans :tongue2:
  • Like 1

second year in my raised beds this year done tatties ,onions, carrots, letuce ,kail and some pea pods.green house was tomatoes,peppers, chillies,corguettes,looking forward to the better weather to get started again.best thing a bought for few years was a old rotovator petrol goes well once u get it stated lol

going to put raised beds in my allotment soon what height is reasonable was thinking of a scaffold board high would this be suitable?also what do you do with the soil that its going to be put on,my garden as a lot of weeds in it does this have to be rotavated before the top soil and manure go in to beds thanks for any info fellas.

Edited by tenbob

I have a plot at the bottom the garden about 30ft x 150ft where over the last few years I have managed to keep the family in veg. I also have three 8ft x4ft raised beds up near the house. The only real failure has been potatoes because of the blight, the early new potatoes where great but anything after that just gets hit with deadly stuff. So this year I am not going to bother with the main crop potatoes at all and avoid the dissapointment and wasted effort in planting them. I have sowed leeks, broad beans, parsnips, peas, beetroot and some salad leaves in the greenhouse, maybe too early but some may germinate and give me head start. The raised beds have garlic up and broad beans hopefully about to poke through. There are still some of last seasons leeks to use up and a bit of rocket and watercress that has come through the mild winter well. I think the best thing is to sow as much and as often as possible because seed is cheap and the losses to slugs etc can wipe out a crop but if you have another load of seedlings coming on in the greenhouse you are back in the game.