spaniel cross?

went to the vets last night and there was a lurcher in there that was identical to yours gnipper, I did ask but they didn't know what was in here breeding. said she was 3 years old. nice looking bitch

Gnipper does she open up at all mate ? spaniel crosses sound very appealing as daytime dogs but i suspect many could end up screamers, maybe thats why you don't see more. my own cocker is a noisey b*****d once a run is on. in saying that, i wouldn't be without him and think every daytime lurcher man should have one.

nice one ,good to hear mate.

i would say its a serious fault if trained to gun, i don't know much about side of things, my fella's been out ferreting from a pup and he's wants to get his mouth on rabbits, he excels at marking and pushing stuff out of hedgerows, which is all i want, opening up doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

nice one ,good to hear mate.

i would say its a serious fault if trained to gun, i don't know much about side of things, my fella's been out ferreting from a pup and he's wants to get his mouth on rabbits, he excels at marking and pushing stuff out of hedgerows, which is all i want, opening up doesn't bother me.

Lawrence, does he give tongue when he's on a scent getting close to the rabbit or when the rabbits in sight.

Often fancied a Cocker for mooching with the lurcher, always used jack Russell's before, it's really handy that they give tongue when their onto a rabbit in the bushes. Problem with the jrt is they sometimes try to get down the holes and hence why I may try something different next time.

Great thread . It's always been a source of wonder why we don't see more gundog lurchers . Nose , great hunting instinct , soft mouthed , and a good level of intelligence . Most of them are tested in trials , and therefore can be trained .

in the Uk I believe the gundogs are broken into 4 groups

Spaniels. - hunting up cover , retrieving from water and land . Etc

Retrievers - labs , goldies etc . Complex retrieving from a variety of situations

HPR's ( hunt point retrievers) - generally continental breeds such as the brittany , munsterlander , GPS , gwp , vizsla etc . Multi purpose , quite wide ranging air scenting , that point game . Not really bushing/ cover dogs like spaniels .

the Bird dogs - irish ,English ,Gordon setters and the pointer . Wide ranging dogs , that are used on grouse , partridge , but also good on snipe , woodcock . Not required to retrieve .

I keep pure irish and consider them very natural instinctive dogs , varying range to suite the terrain . I shoot woodcock and snipe , but have caught mountain hare , where they have pointed worked in to the scent before nailing the hare in its seat . ( though embarrassing as we were meant to be training on grouse - I thought it showed great instinct ) .

Crossing any of the above with greyhounds , I think early discipline is a must . They will hunt without doubt . Therefore early training is vital .

I think a brittany is a good cross , and she appears to look the part as well .

• Like 1

Great thread . It's always been a source of wonder why we don't see more gundog lurchers . Nose , great hunting instinct , soft mouthed , and a good level of intelligence . Most of them are tested in trials , and therefore can be trained .

in the Uk I believe the gundogs are broken into 4 groups

Spaniels. - hunting up cover , retrieving from water and land . Etc

Retrievers - labs , goldies etc . Complex retrieving from a variety of situations

HPR's ( hunt point retrievers) - generally continental breeds such as the brittany , munsterlander , GPS , gwp , vizsla etc . Multi purpose , quite wide ranging air scenting , that point game . Not really bushing/ cover dogs like spaniels .

the Bird dogs - irish ,English ,Gordon setters and the pointer . Wide ranging dogs , that are used on grouse , partridge , but also good on snipe , woodcock . Not required to retrieve .

I keep pure irish and consider them very natural instinctive dogs , varying range to suite the terrain . I shoot woodcock and snipe , but have caught mountain hare , where they have pointed worked in to the scent before nailing the hare in its seat . ( though embarrassing as we were meant to be training on grouse - I thought it showed great instinct ) .

Crossing any of the above with greyhounds , I think early discipline is a must . They will hunt without doubt . Therefore early training is vital .

I think a brittany is a good cross , and she appears to look the part as well .

good 1st post pal, hope theres many more to follow :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Well she surprised me today, she hates fireworks but heard a shotgun at close range for the first time and retrieved 2 pigeons. I expected a nervous wreck with a 12 bore going off but as soon as it banged she was looking for the bird.

IMAG0993-1_zpsc85374e8.jpg

Edited by gnipper
  • Like 3

Vet came out to see one of our lasses horses a month ago. She had a rescue lurcher the spit of yours nipper. Had no idea what was in it. I suggested Brittany. She had it DNA tested and came back half Brittany. She was back this week to check on the horse and I had it out for a stretch on one of our enclosed paddocks to break it to sheep as her last dog was shot for been in a field near some. After it had settled down and got the gist of things we took it out around some rough pasture. The dog had a nice natural quartering style and plenty of pace for a rabbit dog. It put up a good show on a couple of bunnies considering to her knowledge it had never been worked before. It was around a year old and she had it for 3 months. Not had owt to with spaniel crosses before but an interesting insight as to the working potential. Be interested in up dates on yours or any others that happen to working

Vet came out to see one of our lasses horses a month ago. She had a rescue lurcher the spit of yours nipper. Had no idea what was in it. I suggested Brittany. She had it DNA tested and came back half Brittany. She was back this week to check on the horse and I had it out for a stretch on one of our enclosed paddocks to break it to sheep as her last dog was shot for been in a field near some. After it had settled down and got the gist of things we took it out around some rough pasture. The dog had a nice natural quartering style and plenty of pace for a rabbit dog. It put up a good show on a couple of bunnies considering to her knowledge it had never been worked before. It was around a year old and she had it for 3 months. Not had owt to with spaniel crosses before but an interesting insight as to the working potential. Be interested in up dates on yours or any others that happen to working

What part of the country was it in mate? It could have been a relative of this mad fecker. Hopefully she'll get to see a few more rabbits next season if they breed well this year and I can put a few more posts up on her rabbiting.

I'm Bolton way. But not sure where dog was rescued from. I'll ask next time I see her. Enjoy. I know I would

There's a good chance it is related, your only up the road from me. Try and get a pic if you can mate.

wouldn't of thowt they would be an easy dog to get on with

unless you had an awful lot of work,plus you would have

to be right on top of them whilst training.i've a cocker &

it's just non stop never seems to tire & it's manic dosen't

even slow down & it's a yappy cnut not to bad in a bushin

dog but you wouldn't want it in a lurcher

wouldn't of thowt they would be an easy dog to get on with

unless you had an awful lot of work,plus you would have

to be right on top of them whilst training.i've a cocker &

it's just non stop never seems to tire & it's manic dosen't

even slow down & it's a yappy cnut not to bad in a bushin

dog but you wouldn't want it in a lurcher

Spaniels should be silent when working (obviously you'll get the odd ones that ain't).