LOOSING QUARRY

Yer he has seen one in front but when we break through the dog doesn't wanna know, but he does sit back but it's almost like he has forgotten [bANNED TEXT] he has gone in there for when broken through

sounds like he isnt pressing hard enough then hes been walled out try a new terrier mate or try him in drains 1st

regards

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take someone with you that knows a bit more than you, he might be able to shed some light on whats going on.

Sounds like he's sitting back to far away from his quarry, if the earth is shallow enough to sit + listen to whats goin on underground, do that! Listen to whats goin on underground, listen for differe

is there any signs he was at the quarry?sounds to me that its sitting well back or could be false marking!

have you dug too the dog before this??? surely you would know if he is at 1 or not....ie.. sounds banging difference in bark slight movement as you dig????..and if you have dug to the dog more than once and this is happened...only way to put your mind at rest dig 1 ,,,put it to ground go to the van get your terrier and try...that way you know exactly what is going on..and if he walks after ten he doent like...if you dig him and quarry not there right with him you know he laying off his quarry...really up to you what you do with him then...hope this helps atb ..stopend :thumbs:

Good man Stopend advise the man to do something highly illegal,that is called baiting.i bet the Antis have a great laugh reading your hilarious comments. lol
  • Like 2

I had a dog a few seasons ago dug to him a few times, impressive. Then all of a sudden going in giving it all for 5/10 then just sounding. Not a single movement on the box after all the noise stopped. Dug down dog sitting back off the dig then coming forward and nothing there but dog marked. After the second time of doing this I lifted the dog in question and dropped another dog into the dig. After a few minutes the dog had dug on a few feet into his quarry. I gave the other dog one more chance after a few weeks of rest, 6 ft of solid digging that went into the night with lamps etc i knew it was the same scenario, found him sitting way off the mark again and not budging one inch from after a few minutes of initial contact. That was enough for me. That's BAD aul crack in my opinion. Atb

• Like 2

Yer sounds like exactly [bANNED TEXT] my dog is doin

I had a dog a few seasons ago dug to him a few times, impressive. Then all of a sudden going in giving it all for 5/10 then just sounding. Not a single movement on the box after all the noise stopped. Dug down dog sitting back off the dig then coming forward and nothing there but dog marked. After the second time of doing this I lifted the dog in question and dropped another dog into the dig. After a few minutes the dog had dug on a few feet into his quarry. I gave the other dog one more chance after a few weeks of rest, 6 ft of solid digging that went into the night with lamps etc i knew it was the same scenario, found him sitting way off the mark again and not budging one inch from after a few minutes of initial contact. That was enough for me. That's BAD aul crack in my opinion. Atb

Well mate to be completely honest that's one of my pet hates. We had a few dogs bought in when we were young and starting off that did the same thing, I suppose that's why they were for sale. Just young and naive getting into the game but nothing much came from them. That dog I was telling you about was the first I'd seen doing it in years and I hope it's the last. I havnt seen your dog but he sounds like he wants to go in and kill whatever he meets but when he's got a mouthful, backs off and hasn't the brains to either continue working the quarry or walk away, instead he just stays put which in result makes you having to open the tube to pull the ejit out. Call it what you want but IMHO Theres nothing worse than going for a hunt and digging to a dog that's a "bark in the dark" and when you break in he's not only a "bo peep" at his quarry the entire time but also at you when you try and lift him out. I mentioned before that was the last that other dog did it on anybody and if yours is doing the same it's up to yourself what you choose to do. ATB

i used to have a terrier that was the same as this one and she used to bay at scent and she used to think you were on but you used to break through and nowt there and i put an experienced dog in and he would just run the set and nowt in so i gave her to an old loyal friend who knows alot more than me and he finally got her goin and finding so just keep trying her in small spots n it should start doin well

the trrier could not just be a proper diggin dog they all dont make it, or could have its uses as a we bolter, or just be no good at all. try him on a few rats to get him killing and bit see how he reacts and build his confidence up. but if hes no good then you have a choice on what to do for the best and maybe look at getting a pup of people who work both parents, try and get a few days digging with people who have working dogs it would help you understand what to look for to see if your dog is up to the task

• Like 1