rabbit dogs..

A lot of this "I wouldn't breed off a failed fox/deer dog that was shit hot on rabbits" stems from some lads, not all, looking down on lads who just hunt bunnies.

In the lurcher world the rabbiting lads are sometimes treated as the poor relation imo. :thumbs:

• Like 6

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of this "I wouldn't breed off a failed fox/deer dog that was shit hot on rabbits" stems from some lads, not all, looking down on lads who just hunt bunnies.   In the lurcher world the rabbitin

Heres my young bitch who I would describe as a out and out "rabbit" dog, would I breed her to another "rabbit" dog? If I thought it was going to improve my stock then yes of course I would, after all

But why would you want to use a failed Bull x as a stud for rabbiting dogs ? Surely it's better to use proven rabbiting stock........or am I reading the question wrong ? Cheers

Posted Images

OK, here's my take on the question, as I understand it...... If a dog had been bred from a long line of fox dogs, and was brought in and expected to take foxes, but failed, (or jacked), on them and was then passed on to someone who only used it for rabbits, and turned out succesful at that.... would I use it as a stud to breed out and out rabbiting pups from a proven rabbiting bitch ??? NO, I wouldn't !! I would use a stud who had been bred from proven rabbiters ! Why use a dog that jacked at what it was bred for, even if it could turn it's hand to other quarry, why not use a recognised stud ????

Cheers.cp have you not got a mut where one side is a non worker atb

Are you going to ask me this every time I make a post ?? LOL !! As I've told you before, my Deer X is out of a brood bitch that neither coursed or raced... that's a bit different to breeding from a known jacker, in my opinion.... but that's just what it is; MY opinion !

Cheers.

c p thats the first time i have asked that or prove me wrong on your x thats not the road iwould have went down but thats my opinion back on track you are allways in to the bull x at every chance thats a fact atb

I think you are a stalker, you are always having sly digs at me or my dogs.... now, you don't know me one bit if you think I have a go at bull x's. If you have anything to say about me or my dogs, just say it , instead of the sly innuendo.

lets get this wright thats the fist i asked about your dogs also i have met you also i know guys that you hunted with ffs get something true

This is the SECOND time you've mentioned one of my bitches being out of a non-worker ! If you know who I hunt with, how come you posted you "heard I don't work my dogs" ????? In fact, don't answer that, I can't be bothered getting into an argument with you

OK, here's my take on the question, as I understand it...... If a dog had been bred from a long line of fox dogs, and was brought in and expected to take foxes, but failed, (or jacked), on them and was then passed on to someone who only used it for rabbits, and turned out succesful at that.... would I use it as a stud to breed out and out rabbiting pups from a proven rabbiting bitch ??? NO, I wouldn't !! I would use a stud who had been bred from proven rabbiters ! Why use a dog that jacked at what it was bred for, even if it could turn it's hand to other quarry, why not use a recognised stud ????

Cheers.cp have you not got a mut where one side is a non worker atb

Are you going to ask me this every time I make a post ?? LOL !! As I've told you before, my Deer X is out of a brood bitch that neither coursed or raced... that's a bit different to breeding from a known jacker, in my opinion.... but that's just what it is; MY opinion !

Cheers.

c p thats the first time i have asked that or prove me wrong on your x thats not the road iwould have went down but thats my opinion back on track you are allways in to the bull x at every chance thats a fact atb

I think you are a stalker, you are always having sly digs at me or my dogs.... now, you don't know me one bit if you think I have a go at bull x's. If you have anything to say about me or my dogs, just say it , instead of the sly innuendo.

lets get this wright thats the fist i asked about your dogs also i have met you also i know guys that you hunted with ffs get something true

This is the SECOND time you've mentioned one of my bitches being out of a non-worker ! If you know who I hunt with, how come you posted you "heard I don't work my dogs" ????? In fact, don't answer that, I can't be bothered getting into an argument with you

cp not an argument look again cp i said you dont do much also we have debated on other forums in the past as you and i have always kept the same user names end off atb

A dog i used to have was a purpose bred hare dog with bucket load's of stamina..he did not do too good on hares but bagged quite a few in his career..he excelled on rabbit's done fox and roe...but because he was not so good on hare's would you say he was not worth breeding from..

• Like 2

Let's be honest here if you have a 1st cross then there's a fair chance that even one of them (parents) has even seen a bunny? With all the jackers/failed lurchers that have thrown the towel in on certain quarry if that's what you want to call them? that reside throughout the country it can't be that easy to find a suitable dog/bitch that can be classed as a candidate for breeding off?.....yeah right oh???? ATB Andy

if wanna breed rabbit dogs breed rabbit dogs

if wanna breed fox dogs breed fox dogs

if wanna breed deer dogs breed deer dogs

Most crosses are and always have been breed to take specific types animals but you will always find the odd exception to that.

if your happy to feed and walk the fukcers then thats your choice at end of day.