First time out for ages ,result

Too frozen for brickwork so a look out was in order .Tried a place where there is usually a large flock of Welsh sheep overwintered and sure enough the signs of sheep were every where .Decided on a sit in the seat as it was mid afternoon and the sun was quite warm here .Didnt have long to wait when a fox came out up the other end of the planting the seat overlooks and a squeak had him running .Well not directly to me it has to be said but rather in an arc around me ,through the thick hedge that the seat is in and under the wire of another planting and out of sight to reappear in a sheep field that i had walked through to get to the seat .About 90 yds so no problem and he was in the bag ,a large fox .

Picture017-7.jpg

Decided to stay put for the afternoon but spying a doe and follower two fields away got me out the seat sooner than expected .The stalk was eventful though as i saw a brace of foxes walking parallel to the hedge and with each other and i wondered if the double was on the cards :hmm: .That was decided when one of them suddenly flew at the other and they departed up over the railway banking !.Two dogs i suspect .

The deer were slightly further than first spotted and with heads in the hedge ,browsing on buds it looked like and about 150 from the gap i was peering through .Too far for me off sticks so i crawled to where theres an overgrown style with a bridge over the ditch .By the side theres a deer run and i used this to half crawl ,half slide to the other side of the dry ditch .Looking over it was clear my efforts hadnt gone unnoticed and both were now out in the field in that state of 'shall i run or what 'that is very often the downfall of roe .About 170 now with the railway behind them so a shot off bipod was in order .Decided on the doe first as i was sure the doe follower wouldnt go far .She fell on the spot and the follower ran a short distance and stood as expected and she too was soon down .On inspection ,i found that the bullet ,although good on the old doe ,had exited the back. :censored:

The follower was as it should be though :victory:

Luckily the gates from here up are all open due to the sheep and i was able to drive right to them which is very rare here as the gates are usually pad locked .

Picture018-10.jpg

The follower ,it has to be said is a poor example of the roe crop from last year and was a good choice . The doe too didnt have the fat reserves expected so a nice pair really for culling.

• Like 3

Well done mate - didn't fancy the carry back then hey, funny those gates always seem to be locked when i've got the roe sack :laugh: An eventful morning out mate with some nice shooting and a good post as always. Liking the close up of the T8 - half moderator, half muzzel break now ain't it :laugh: Just get some maul grips and make that new one fit :yes:

Seasonal mate ,you wouldnt want to miss out on the whole experience would you .Did see 7 deer over the other side the stream off piste because of the sheep i think but hopefully they will be back in spring when the bucks are in and you can experience the whole thing again .lol.