Hard Mouth

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

e.  What the feck is that going to Achieve.It will only stop the Dog Retrieving altogether.Never heard such Bollocks in all my Life

........................Then stick around mate ,this place is full of it

I would say you have your work cut out trying to nip that habbit in the bud...and like stated they could be far worse bad habbit's out there...if possible can you not get the dog in among good number'

I was told this by a well respected gun dog trainer!i tried and tested it!dont run down things that ye have never tried!!is everyone gone soft in the hunting world?do ye not hunt foxes?foxes can also damage your dog does that mean ye stop???

How old do you enter your dogs to a fox?? I bet it not at five months, by the time a dog is entered to a fox he should be well aware of the dangers involved having ragged a few and getting nipped, so ya cant compare this to puppy training pal.

As for the ballon thing,, to me it is a sure way of frightening the pup alright, so much so he wont even look at the lure next time ya throw it. I found that by allowing the pup to feed from ur hand at an early age without snacthing is a good start towards the pup having a soft mouth, I can vouch for this method in person, I would always use the words easy when the pup was taking food from my hand, and as she got older it got to the stage where she was almost taking it from amy hand with out touching my hand at all.

But as said before you could have worse problems then hard mouth.

Would have to disagree with you on that one as a general rule of thumb..

My dogs and others I have seen when getting right into the numbers start getting tired, its easier for them to kill the rabbit and fetch it back rather than kicking a pulling.

I would have to disagree with you on that.. :D ..because what i have seen is the exact opposite..and not with just one dog.. :thumbs: ..the only time i really ever seen anything mullered was hare's..becuase unlike a rabbit they do kick a bit and are heavier to carry.. ;)

Rob,if my memory serves me correct your dog was one of DFK's pups off "INDY",she was a wheaten cross that his blue bull/greyhound lined I think,if this is how the pup is bred it was meant for stuff that bites, so a hard mouth should be no surprise as its in the breeding and no amount of training at this stage will alter it,WM

• Like 1

I would say you have your work cut out trying to nip that habbit in the bud...and like stated they could be far worse bad habbit's out there...if possible can you not get the dog in among good number's of bunnies..i had a dog a while back that would start the night pretty hard hard mouthed when he was keen and fresh...but as the night went on he would settle down and not smash them up so bad..

On the barbed wire..you could give razor barb ago as that is sharp as fook.. :D

Would have to disagree with you on that one as a general rule of thumb..

My dogs and others I have seen when getting right into the numbers start getting tired, its easier for them to kill the rabbit and fetch it back rather than kicking a pulling.

My dog fetchs to hand, alive most times however when shes right tired she will just bite the heads and carry them back.

Various levels of ''hard mouthed'' some are ribs like black jelly dog food lol

other would class a hard strike ie bit of brusing off the inital impact.

A lot worst trates to have in a lurcher, i hate a soft mouth dog that drops short and has to chase rabbits multiple times or a blatetant refusal to retrieve.

I've had a bit of both.

The dogs as Millet described...i would say....hard to explain in writing. :hmm:

Well lets say they prefer the kill to anything else. My whippet is like that, it seems he cannot wait to get the rabbit back on the ground to give it a good old crunch :icon_eek: But as the night progresses and the more tired he gets, he just wants to give it to you....get it out the way.

It must be something i do wrong in training that makes them like that?

I have seen other dogs do as you describe Giro :thumbs:

Put scolding kettle water in a hot water bottle throw it for him see wa e thinks after e crunches tha fukker, jk [bANNED TEXT] [NO TEXT TALK] gets bitchy

sounds like your 2 inch cock is 10 times larger than your brain ..i hope your care in the community order never ends

Put scolding kettle water in a hot water bottle throw it for him see wa e thinks after e crunches tha fukker, jk [bANNED TEXT] [NO TEXT TALK] gets bitchy

sounds like your 2 inch cock is 10 times larger than your brain ..i hope your care in the community order never ends

:laugh:

f**k me you were being serious about the barbed wire....cruel b*****d.

Its simple!!! you train the dog to retrieve(and any other discipline for that matter) to the best of your ability, get help on the way if you must. If it dont retrieve after you've tried everything and put 100% into the dogs training, then accept it...it won't retrieve. If it retrieves, but is hard mouthed, then unfortately thats the way it usually has to be...live with it. Good advice is always welcome, as we're always learning no matter how long you've in this game....barbed wire is not the way. what do you use your rabbits for mate?

• Like 1

f**k me you were being serious about the barbed wire....cruel b*****d.

Its simple!!! you train the dog to retrieve(and any other discipline for that matter) to the best of your ability, get help on the way if you must. If it dont retrieve after you've tried everything and put 100% into the dogs training, then accept it...it won't retrieve. If it retrieves, but is hard mouthed, then unfortately thats the way it usually has to be...live with it. Good advice is always welcome, as we're always learning no matter how long you've in this game....barbed wire is not the way. what do you use your rabbits for mate?

depends, I'll skin them and if she's only crushed the neck area I'll cut it in half and give the knackered end to the ferrets and dog and cut the meat off the good end, she's never crunched the back end so I can usually get some decent meat off them. If I want to top up the freezer I'll just go ferreting.

Like I said before, it's not a massive big deal....I was just wondering if there was anything I could do about it, I ain't losing any sleep over it put it that way :thumbs:

Some good suggestions about how to attempt to sort it, but in my mind all of them have potential to affect her retrieving or picking up to begin with so I'll just live with it now I think.

• Like 1