death row dogs ( bbc1 )

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

usual biased shite from the beeb what astounds me is the squalor some people choose to live in kinel a fecking dung beetle as more pride in his home than the lot o them dirty fecking halfwits kunt

You and me both.....and for that reason i personally am quite happy the breed is banned if that program is any indication of the calibre of owner the breed now attracts ! Ive been around some very sp

scrap the DDA its f****n uselss. Any breed of dog that bites should be PTS and any breed of dog that has a friendly nature should be allowed to enjoy a good life.

A hasitly poorly written piece of legislation rushed through parliment after some horrendous attacks by dogs owned by people who shouldn't of been allowed to keep any breed in the first place. The 54 point identification scheme is laughable, one only needs to look at the people owning the breed on last nights programme, they would give pugs an unsavoury reputation........

the sad thing is simo we /working dog owners all get tarred with the same shitty brush -- someone came to do some work on my house and even though my kennels are imaculate /lined heated roomy clean have shavings down sleeping boxes and radio 5 on all day ;) he had to give his views on how cruel it is to keep dogs in kennels -- despite the fact his dog came to work with him and spent 8 hrs locked up in a van.. even had someone at a stables saying that ratting was cruel because the dogs did`nt want to do it and it made them over exited -- thats just a couple of examples of how people see us same with any programme --- that shows working dogs makes us all look bad when the truth the vast majority of us care for the welfare of our stock and are as shocked as anyone else when we see shit like last nites programme -- thr was another programme on last night showing some badly docked pups at appleby i was out with someone this morning first thing he jokinly said when i got in his van was i see your lot was at it again on the box last night ... i`m ramblin and not making much sense but i know what i mean :blink: the shit stick hits us all,,

Your not rambling :thumbs:

Lifted from another site

The Netherlands: BSL ban lifted!

June 12, 2008 : 5:10 PM

Ban against pit bulls found not to work!

By Sharon St. Joan. Best Friends Network

In a major blow to proponents of BSL policies, Holland has lifted its ban on pit bulls!

On Monday, June 9, the Dutch Minister of Agriculture, Gerda Verburg, announced to the parliament that the rule banning pit bulls in the Netherlands would be lifted. After fifteen years, it has been found that the ban has been ineffective.

This represents a major victory for European animal advocates who have been opposing this breed specific legislation!

The lifting of the ban came on the advice of a committee that had been formed to re-consider the policy.

The ban had been imposed in 1993, as a reaction to the killing of three children by dogs. However, as Gerda Verburg, pointed out, there has been no decrease in the number of biting incidents during the fifteen years in which the ban has been in place.

So the ban seems not to have served the purpose for which it was designed.

How the ban worked--or rather didn't work!

In place of this policy, the emphasis will now be placed on making sure that local leash laws are being enforced and on education programs. By year's end, spokesperson Koen Geelink said, they plan to have a system for expert testing of any dogs who may have shown aggressive tendencies.

The policy in place for fifteen years has been known as RAD, which stands for "Arrangement for Aggressive Animals" in Dutch. It targets pit bulls and has aimed to eliminate dogs of the "pit bull terrier type."

RAD exempted purebred dogs that were registered in Holland, such as the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The policy was applied to non-registered dogs on the basis of their appearance as being of the "pit bull type". These characteristics included a powerful build, a square head, a pointed tail and a short coat. Genuine pit bulls (American Pit Bull Terriers) are not recognized as a real breed in Holland, and therefore they could not be registered as purebred.

Homes having a "pit bull-type dog" prior to 1993, were allowed to keep their dogs, provided that the dogs were on file with the police, spayed or neutered, and muzzled and kept on a short leash on walks.

In December 2000, Rottweilers were added to the proscribed list. They will be removed from the ban as well.

When a dog reached the age of six months, he or she could be examined by the authorities. If a dog who met the appearance criteria for being a "pit bull-type" (or other more recently proscribed type, like the Rottweiler) lacked a tattoo or a chip to indicate that he or she was a registered purebred, then the dog was confiscated and euthanized. The owner was fined a minimum of 120 Euros, plus any costs incurred.

Getting rid of a failed policy

Apart from the killing of innocent dogs that resulted from this misguided policy, one of the criticisms leveled at the regulation was that there was no behavior assessment of aggressive tendencies. This meant that of two siblings, a sweet, friendly pup who looked more like a "pit bull type" might be euthanized, while the other pup who looked less like a pit bull might not be. The only standard applied was the appearance of the dog.

This, of course, goes to the heart of the problem with BSL policies, which is that they are based on superficial criteria--the appearance or the breed of the dog. Secondly, the assumption that killing dogs who may be aggressive is the only way to ensure public safety is mistaken. Behavior modification, sanctuary, or both, are just a couple of options for humanely relating to dogs with aggression issues. The Netherlands is to be commended for doing away with a policy which wasn't working and which cost dogs their lives.

The Netherlands is one of the countries listed on the World Animal Net website as having model animal protection laws and policies. Many Dutch organizations and individuals do a monumental job of assisting struggling animal organizations in Spain, Greece, Romania and other countries. Dutch groups send support, arrange adoptions for dogs and run programs that send trained volunteers to accompany the dogs from other countries on plane trips to their new adoptive homes in Holland.

Congratulations to the Netherlands for lifting the ban on pit bulls, which had tarnished their otherwise outstanding record of kindness to animals!

Thanks to the website Breed Specific Legislation for providing information that was helpful in this article. (http://bsl.bsl-sbt.com/bsl/rad.php?s=&l)

Photo:© John Blumenkamp / Dreamstime.com

What you can do

To visit the Best Friends Community "Stop Breed Specific Legislation, please go to:

http://network.bestfriends.org/stopbsl/news/

The DDA states that the dogs should be muzzled, kept on leads and STERILISED. Having watched that programmed last night, I think those rules should also be applied to the owners of the dogs...........there was, without doubt some specimens there that should be banned from reproducing. I found it sad about the dogs but was more shocked that people choose to live/behave like that. Was it all in Brimingham?

An unfortunate situation for the pit bull-dog, "we" created a dog who would excel in the pit, like it or loath it, i say WE as a whole. Man has created alot of things in his life, the creation of dogs for work in my eyes shows another level of intelligence that has not gone unrewarded. BUT, it takes a breed of people to sabotage a single line of dogs , a lifes work, in a second. The breed was doomed from its conception, human nature would soon see to that.

The programme in question, i have just watched as i had it recorded by a friend. First of all, anyone surprised at this type of journalistic bastardisation of a working breed, take the blinkers off. News makes money, reporters and journalists want money!. The "devil dog" trade mark sells, i would bet the ratings that programme accumulated last night was most likely higher than the usual tuesday night soap fest.

A forward jump to the customer's who seem to have a magnetic attraction to the breed today. It wasn't really the clientele one would see sat with the queen for afternoon tea, pinkies at 12 0'clcock! The breed of people need policing not the dogs !

To the dogs (litterally), reading back i use the term "breed" quite a bit, this is very loose. The breed that is shown in the media, to me and many others alike are cross breedings of various bull breeds to create what the market demands. These dogs who are miles away from their working forefathers still have teeth and the trigger to use them. We, the advocates of sound working dogs need not forget that the back yard breeders are using a name of a once great breed to fashion his "product". He will and doesn't care who he takes down with him in the process, it's a street accessory these days and brings him in revenue. When these cross bred dogs labeled with the "pitbull" tag, run wreck and ruin, the label now becomes a blanket, this brands anything with a bit of bull guilty until proven innocent.

It's a sad world we live in today, but nothing is really surprising. Is it ?

• Like 3

[no they originate from britain an ireland thats were it all began till yanks cottoned on to it now its the american version of what we all ways had... i too seen reids stuff round here... reids a true gent with out doubt..... he bred an imported a lot of the smaller stuff...

Dont be fooled into thinking good old uncle ed had the breeds best interests at heart mate he was in part responsible for the dangerous dogs act coming out in the first place !....he was lining his pockets just like they still are today,only difference is his dogs were actually worth the money !......Dont get me wrong i liked Ed he was indeed a very nice man......but he was also one of the first puppy peddlars this breed ever saw in England,a man who for many years lived off the income of dogs.....as for bred smaller stuff i dont know where youve had that from the Skipper dogs rarely went under mid 40,s and the Wise stuff were not much different....dogs like Dread at 75 lb or even Skipper himself at around 55 could hardly be described as " smaller stuff ".......you sure your an old timer or you just got a bad memory ;)

• Like 5

a few people tried to cash in on the breed but ed reid had really cornered the market and a lot of people would only buy direct he was coining it ..

I wouldnt say he cornered the market there was plenty others doing the same.....one who sold as many if not more has a son or nephew or something i forget which who comes on here so i,ll say no more :D ......but in their defence.....they was breeding correctly with correct breeding principals and mostly decent dogs........not like the total garbage that gets thrown about today......they just dont make puppy peddlars like they used to :D

[no they originate from britain an ireland thats were it all began till yanks cottoned on to it now its the american version of what we all ways had... i too seen reids stuff round here... reids a true gent with out doubt..... he bred an imported a lot of the smaller stuff...

Dont be fooled into thinking good old uncle ed had the breeds best interests at heart mate he was in part responsible for the dangerous dogs act coming out in the first place !....he was lining his pockets just like they still are today,only difference is his dogs were actually worth the money !......Dont get me wrong i liked Ed he was indeed a very nice man......but he was also one of the first puppy peddlars this breed ever saw in England,a man who for many years lived off the income of dogs.....as for bred smaller stuff i dont know where youve had that from the Skipper dogs rarely went under mid 40,s and the Wise stuff were not much different....dogs like Dread at 75 lb or even Skipper himself at around 55 could hardly be described as " smaller stuff ".......you sure your an old timer or you just got a bad memory wink.png

a met ed a ashby de la zeuch 15 years ago mate .... a didnt see the dread dog just some of the corky dog an pups from it they was mid 40s so ye maybe they are the upper scale as pits go but a saw a few over 70 an that was bigger to me as they ranged up 24 inch at shoulder an a lot of eds stuff was 20 an below... yes he was a peddler but like you said his stuff was well worth the dollar... the real deal.... theres still a few lines about going back to reids corky in irish staff peds...i liked ed he was sound an always took the time to talk when ever a rung him or saw him at his shows a decent bloke by all accounts... and no mate i aint really an old timer at all just a short timer lol lol .... atb o t..

a met ed a ashby de la zeuch 15 years ago mate .... a didnt see the dread dog just some of the corky dog an pups from it they was mid 40s so ye maybe they are the upper scale as pits go but a saw a few over 70 an that was bigger to me as they ranged up 24 inch at shoulder an a lot of eds stuff was 20 an below... yes he was a peddler but like you said his stuff was well worth the dollar... the real deal.... theres still a few lines about going back to reids corky in irish staff peds...i liked ed he was sound an always took the time to talk when ever a rung him or saw him at his shows a decent bloke by all accounts... and no mate i aint really an old timer at all just a short timer lol lol .... atb o t..

Good for you......the breed in general has come down sizewise for obvious reasons.......back years ago a 28 lb dog would have been almost unheard of whereas today its not unusual......todays 45 lb is yesterdays 65 lb......a peaked out 65 lb dog today is as unheard of as a 28 lb dog was back then regardless what line.....reid bred some shit just like everyone else but theres no disputing the skipper dogs were some of the best dogs this country ever saw.....not my cuppa tea like but looking back thats probably my loss not theirs :D

Not nice to slate a man who cant defend himself so i wont do it......but being a nice man is no excuse for creating mayhem.....however nice you are.

Good for you......the breed in general has come down sizewise for obvious reasons.......back years ago a 28 lb dog would have been almost unheard of whereas today its not unusual......todays 45 lb is yesterdays 65 lb......a peaked out 65 lb dog today is as unheard of as a 28 lb dog was back then regardless what line.....reid bred some shit just like everyone else but theres no disputing the skipper dogs were some of the best dogs this country ever saw.....not my cuppa tea like but looking back thats probably my loss not theirs :D

Not nice to slate a man who cant defend himself so i wont do it......but being a nice man is no excuse for creating mayhem.....however nice you are.

he didnt create mayhem the fukcing idiots created mayhem pal just like they still do.... gnash your an intelligent man one of the few on here..... yeah he was a peddler... like you said lets not slate a man who cant defend himself.... he was is a gent .....
  • Like 1