Most sensible people would walk the problem dog near to sheep on a lead and correct it any time it shows an interest, not let it loose and then try to correct it when you have no control over it..

Recipe for disaster IMO..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mate if it is chasing sheep, why are you letting it off the lead amongst them. Come on give yourself a shake.     Pernod

"Some days will, some days won't" !!!! Surely ONCE is more than enough ?????   Cheers.

allow her on an extendable lead as soon as she appears to be heading for them, a short sharp tug,if she persists,asize 8 on the backside, an she will soon learn. might seem harsh , but its better than

well perfect example walked through some today didn batter an eyelid at them .... walked further into another field herd on other side she guned straighh for them ... usually a no when shes seems to be heading is enough other times its not .. and as for off lead i assumed that i would be better to train coz obvs on lead she cant go towards them if shes on one ???

I fail to understand how you let a dog that likes chasing mutton,off a lead when in proximity to them,sort yourself and the mutt out,if its beyond your intelligence to comprehend the seriousness of the situation then get rid to someone more capable of taking a firmer stance with the dog.The dogs only doing what comes natural to it,its got to learn what it can and cannot chase.
  • Like 1

well it has had its rows after each time and not only verbal but whats enough as dont want to break dogs trust in myslef ....

i was asking how to put it right no get slagged off about it ...

and tote i wrote this post after id been out with the dog to ask people how to correct so i aint tryed what people have said yet

well it has had its rows after each time and not only verbal but whats enough as dont want to break dogs trust in myslef ....

It's no good bollocking it after the event, you need to stop it happening in the first place, or at least nip it in the bud... You say you don't want to break the dogs trust in you, but it's breaking your trust in it every time it chases sheep. Dogs need to know their boundaries..

You say "after EACH time" !! FFS, there shouldn't have been a SECOND time !!!! Are you sure the dog game is realy for you ? And "what damage can it do " ? How about aborted lambs, sheep running into fences, etc ? The sheep don't know it's only 5 months old....and the farmer won't care how old it is when he, rightly, shoota it !!!

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski

i was asking how to put it right no get slagged off about it ...

and tote i wrote this post after id been out with the dog to ask people how to correct so i aint tryed what people have said yet

despite what other people have said, you HAVE done the right thing by asking advice, its up to you whether you put this advice to good use. Ithink its better doing what you have done, rather than wait till your dog actually attacks or even kills a sheep. My advice with the extenbale lead is do not be to quick to let her off it, be patient, she will come good in the end. ATB

Guest long-tail

ok you made some mistakes chasing sheep is taboo sure you figured that out with the amount of different lads that gonna slag you from here to kingdom come although why it needs repeating so many times is beyond me,take the advise and get out there mate atb with it,plenty correction before the event should come good soon enough good luck :thumbs:

good luck bud and take on board what people have tried to tell you because if it was chasing my sheep or any other livestock i had lying about i would shoot it,it will have a big knock on affect for obtaining permission and can suff it up for other fellow dogman.

:thumbs:

When my dogs are young I take them to a mates farm when his ewes have lambs at foot, a ewe will defend her lamb , I take my dogs in with the ewe and she will defend her lamb. If your dog gets a bit close she will go to butt the dog this is normaly enough to teach the dog respect sheep . If your dog is still a bit to keen let the ewe give it a belt not to rough just enough to make your dog keep clear of sheep.

• Like 1

all joking aside if you dont get this right you will ruin the dog.through no fault of your canine but yourself too blame, how old are you pal ! cus you havent had much exsperience with other dogs , bit of advice if you know some one who has had running dogs a long time ask them for practical help. take them along with you. you may not get another chance at this. good luck you do seem genuine

Edited by whippet 99