Another day in the dales.

ye as kids mate or if i was surrounding a big wood i never walk out with more than two dogs unless taking a pup to learn of big dogs when doing hedge rows , cant a bide lots of dogs at times as they gee each other up ,does my head in when dogs creep in on a hole i end up swishing them back and giving them a scolding for getting to close to sett two good dogs is more than enough at times unles massive warrens and you position youre self ideation , but wouldnt bother me what there doing as longas thats how they like it lots dont , after hunting thirty odd years you get into allsorts and see all sorts , saw 6 saluks running free a jack rabbit gets up they give chase cacth it part of a saluki coursing day after the main event i says nothing as none were ral keen coursingpeole an dhad traveld 12 hour journey to get there an dthey were not competitive

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well blackmail certainly does work. I accidentaly took Russ's gloves home last time i was invited....and the only way to get them back, was another invite   A gorgeous sunny day today, no wind for

Funnily enough Chalky, I have spent some time thinking of late. When i first started out with the dogs, they were pets/workers. Most of my time was just mooching about, getting this and that, here an

As they say, opinions are like arseholes. Everybodies got one. Iv got 6 dogs and everytime i go out they all come with me (unless im lamping) and i couldnt give a f**k what the snot nosed twats think

Posted Images

This is very odd. I know some folk take lurcher work and themselves very 'seriously', but surely even they have been out with a mate and had multiple dogs lose for a stretch and something has risen and been chased mob handed?

I find it odd because i have always had a bobbery pack of running dogs and terriers. Normal walks alone are just like days like this for me?

Aye, i have no issue with three dogs out ferreting, especially on tricky land, and that's runners, then for a good mooch about, i see no problem with adding a pair or more of terriers into the mix. I kind of thought that was the way you went bushing, cos with one dog it's hard fecking work. Dont get me wrong i catch when out with one a lone, but so many times he gets blind sided by a rabbit pulling a sneaky one and nipping between cover, when with the other two dogs there, chances are so one is 'johnny on the spot' and gets the bunny.

ye as kids mate or if i was surrounding a big wood i never walk out with more than two dogs unless taking a pup to learn of big dogs when doing hedge rows , cant a bide lots of dogs at times as they gee each other up ,does my head in when dogs creep in on a hole i end up swishing them back and giving them a scolding for getting to close to sett two good dogs is more than enough at times unles massive warrens and you position youre self ideation , but wouldnt bother me what there doing as longas thats how they like it lots dont , after hunting thirty odd years you get into allsorts and see all sorts , saw 6 saluks running free a jack rabbit gets up they give chase cacth it part of a saluki coursing day after the main event i says nothing as none were ral keen coursingpeole an dhad traveld 12 hour journey to get there an dthey were not competitive

That is perfect for straight hedges mate, but a lot of the land we do is woodland, and a pain, so three dogs is handy, especially as the three we use all have different edges and skills, by their breed and size etc. Also when out bishing in woodland etc, three dogs cover three times the space if able to work independantly, so scent a wider area, cut stuff off, etc etc.

• Like 1

Whin you do talk some shite. :blink: . :D ..

Edited ti add a LOT off shite.. :yes: :yes:

Edited by Millet

Aye, i have no issue with three dogs out ferreting, especially on tricky land, and that's runners, then for a good mooch about, i see no problem with adding a pair or more of terriers into the mix. I kind of thought that was the way you went bushing, cos with one dog it's hard fecking work. Dont get me wrong i catch when out with one a lone, but so many times he gets blind sided by a rabbit pulling a sneaky one and nipping between cover, when with the other two dogs there, chances are so one is 'johnny on the spot' and gets the bunny.

It's the best kind of hunting imo :D Exactly how i started years ago, dogs out by the rivers edge, terriers (And 1 driven lurcher lol) in the thick brambles, other lurchers patrolling the edges. It is amazing the stuff you can get that you would not normally catch. And you can just feel the fun coming from the dogs. Quite often you catch, quite often you draw a blank, but in this kind of working it seems neither the dogs nor the humans feel deflated if you dont, cos it has been such high energy and fun whilst trying :D

ye more dogs do have a purpose but so does a long net to head things of mate ,im not a casual hunter and we dont have rabbits on real rough ground all hedgrows but the woods are full of forbiden game at times , so its not a casual walk , if a man comes to mines at most one dog or two no more , dont need them mate, unless one in wood and a guy on other side of wood and one at other then the dogs of war push things out, of cover mate,thtas as close as pack hunting ive done since adult apart from hounds,pushing foxes out pre ban to lercher dawgs lol

But keeps it civil unlike yourself . You have got a serious attitude problem mate.

• Like 3

millet not as much as some on here , as i says not into gang hunting unless needed not my seen never has been realy , but you looked like you had fun , when i travel about to hunt with other guys i only take one dog out at time unless pup and hes slipped accordinaly , every body sees hunting as diffrent some socail others not , socail to me was down at pool haul shooting pool s bsr hsving a laugh , not hunting ,at times ,more people ,dogs more niose at times, cant see were i talk shite mate looking at other pionts of veiw ,how people see hunting ,i like a socail gathering of hunting people but not in the feild done that years ago mate

ye more dogs do have a purpose but so does a long net to head things of mate ,im not a casual hunter and we dont have rabbits on real rough ground all hedgrows but the woods are full of forbiden game at times , so its not a casual walk , if a man comes to mines at most one dog or two no more , dont need them mate, unless one in wood and a guy on other side of wood and one at other then the dogs of war push things out, of cover mate,thtas as close as pack hunting ive done since adult apart from hounds,pushing foxes out pre ban to lercher dawgs lol

Fair play mate, we tend to take the three dogs and just let them have their head in the woods etc, sometimes they stick together sometimes they split up, they find their own game and run it, many times one is in the cover with the other two on ready mode outside.

Moll - that's probably one of my favourite passtimes, with two or three good dogs (or more haha), you never know what you will push out or stumble across, as long as the chaos is organised and the dogs know their places, roles etc and gel as a team, it can be very productive, as the game dont know whats where and get less thinking time, so they make a mistake. Probably my most enjoyed days on the bunnys in the last couple of seasons has been out on the mountainside with johnnyboy68 watching the three dogs working as a team to push rabbits out of the cover, positioning themselves at various points to cut off the fleeing coney as it gets coursed down the sheer side by a team mate.

Well blackmail certainly does work. I accidentaly took Russ's gloves home last time i was invited....and the only way to get them back, was another invite :whistling:

A gorgeous sunny day today, no wind for the most part, and the ground was really firm....actually frozen solid, the cars thermometers read -5 degrees. Better for us humans to walk on rather than the sink to your ankles mud it was last time, but not so good for the dogs feet and legs.

Today it was Russ, Garry, (With their dogs) Millet and Jimmy, with Jimmy's two dogs Smokey and a young terrier JJ. I took Boo again and this time took the tank, Keepa for a look out.

Another day of just mooching about enjoying each others, and dogs company, a walk about, bit of ferreting and a bit of dry stone walling, courtesy of Garry and Keepa. Nothing serious, no big numbers needed just good fun and the best chat and laughs. The type of days you would want to go to even if you did not have any dogs :thumbs:

Spring was definitely in the air as we had a lurve thang going on today, if you wanted to know where Garry was...just look for Keepa :D

They had even developed their own language..."Squeal, squeal, squeal" translated...."There's a rabbit in the wall Garry, here Garry, HERE GARRRRRRIIIEEEEE!" And whenever she called him, he went running :D

LangthW3.jpg

LangthW11.jpg

LangthW46.jpg

LangthW13.jpg

LangthW40.jpg

LangthW45.jpg

Believe me, the tank is a heavy little lump!

LangthW22.jpg

LangthW23.jpg

LangthW24.jpg

Boo decided to do the gentlemanly thing and restrain Keepa whilst Garry retrieved the rabbit :blink:

LangthW25.jpg

Unfortunately in true Boo style, he 'restrained' Keepa for most of the day again :icon_redface:

Sequence shots..

LangthW9.jpg

LangthW10.jpg

LangthW8.jpg

LangthW7.jpg

LangthW5.jpg

LangthW6.jpg

LangthW32.jpg

LangthW31.jpg

LangthW30.jpg

LangthW33.jpg

LangthW34.jpg

LangthW35.jpg

LangthW37.jpg

LangthW36.jpg

LangthW49.jpg

LangthW50.jpg

Random shots

LangthW41.jpg

LangthW44.jpg

LangthW2.jpg

LangthW19.jpg

LangthW43.jpg

LangthW42.jpg

LangthW52.jpg

LangthW20.jpg

LangthW39.jpg

LangthW4.jpg

LangthW26.jpg

LangthW1.jpg

LangthW17.jpg

LangthW51.jpg

LangthW18.jpg

LangthW12.jpg

LangthW27.jpg

LangthW14.jpg

LangthW38.jpg

LangthW16.jpg

LangthW15.jpg

LangthW21.jpg

LangthW28.jpg

LangthW47.jpg

Who put that fence there!? :laugh:

LangthW29.jpg

Proof the useless whippet can jump :D

LangthW48.jpg

19 rabbits EOD.

LangthW.jpg

Thank you again gents for a fabulous day out, well worth the early morning and long journey. These are the best type hunting days in the world. :boogy:

Cracking photo's them sounds a good day out.

Cracki

But keeps it civil unlike yourself . You have got a serious attitude problem mate.

well said G,the man stays bang in the middle of the game ,hes seen it and done it.time to give the whin bashing a rest.the mans out there doing it ...........ARE YOU LOT :whistling:

never had that pleasure much here were i was brought up as it was ilegal full stop so never ever had many socail gatherings with lercher dawgs lol can rember seven of us walking afeild to push hares up and slipping dogs or as tennagers getting on bikes ferrets and amongrel dog to get rabbits but even thenpoaching we aere surrunded with estates full of phesants very few common men got permision unless old pit s etc and surrounding areas which would had benn ideal for molls pack but there all gone an deither built on or farmed and they not have lurchers about unless rabbits are a real problem its arich area were im from they dont like lurcher to much beacause of there hallowed game

Moll - that's probably one of my favourite passtimes, with two or three good dogs (or more haha), you never know what you will push out or stumble across, as long as the chaos is organised and the dogs know their places, roles etc and gel as a team, it can be very productive, as the game dont know whats where and get less thinking time, so they make a mistake. Probably my most enjoyed days on the bunnys in the last couple of seasons has been out on the mountainside with johnnyboy68 watching the three dogs working as a team to push rabbits out of the cover, positioning themselves at various points to cut off the fleeing coney as it gets coursed down the sheer side by a team mate.

Now that does sound exhilarating :clapper:

You cant beat having terriers in with the mix. Yesterday, the lads were dumbfounded at the amount of rabbits Keepa marked and we got from the walls. Garry reckons she alone accounted for about 75% of the total. I know some people dont think mooching terriers are 'real working dogs' but for me they are just as valuable as a good lurcher. And have accounted for more than just rabbits and rats pre ban :D