Which .22 RF

Im going to be getting my first rifle after Christmas, My Budget is £450 at a pust and i dont need a scope, Just Rifle and MOD.

My question is i just dont know what to go for, Do i get a new rifle, Something like a CZ Silouette. Or get a better rifle that is second hand.

Will just be using it in the field for the Bunnies and foxes not target shooting.

What do you guys use in this price range?

What would you recommend?

Even though you shouldn't get many problems with a second hand .22, I'd personally recommend buying new. After twenty odd years of using an Anschutz with Parker Hale mod, which was a great combo, I swapped to a CZ sillhouette and SAK mod a couple of years ago, and to be honest I wish I'd done it sooner. This combo will definitely perform well for the type of shooting you'll be doing.

I've got a cz silhoutte, bought from sporting gun centre and sent to a local rfd, came in at just under 500 quid for rifle (16'' barrel), scope, mounts, mod and a sling. Used Dad's cz classic for years so knew i liked the brand, this one is superb, you can knock nails in with it at 70 yards. Can't recommend them highly enough, buy a new cz and you won't be disappointed.

If I do decide to buy new it will more then likely be a silhouette that I go for as iv seen just the rifle for about £325, so buy the time iv stuck a mod and sling on ect it will fit into my budget nicely. But there is a varnint and a couple of annies in my local shop that a second hand that are also very tempting. Decisions decisions!!!

Always exciting getting new kit! i was lazy really in my choice as i knew i liked them and had a go with a mates so just went with it rather than try out loads of others. I went second hand on my .243 which alot of people shy away from but i bought it from a friend. The only anschutz i tried was a semi auto and all it did was jam up all the time.

Semi's are great for chucking large amounts of lead about, and are very good tools. The only real difference in performance between a semi and a bolt action is noise. The bolt action, using subs and a good mod, will be pretty much inaudible five yards away. The cycling of the action on the semi will make a certain amount of noise, which is audible (though not excessively so)

I use an old Voere semi which cost £90, and can knock bunnies over at 70 yards with clean headshots every day.

Edited by matt_hooks

Got to be Cz or Browning , avoid all other semi auto's unless you like the idea of add on's . Years ago i had to spend almost £400 to get a std ruger 10/22 to perform right, by the time i had done , there was no ruger left apart from the action !! Cz a sure choice out of the box. For nice bolt actions sako finfire p96 or browning 'A'bolt.

:thumbs: