coats for running dogs

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a headscarf fer me

If just road walking a dog on the lead then why not use a coat. Dogs keep warm running about, but at walking speed if the weather is bad then there's nothing wrong with using a coat on a thin skinned,

These are my fave's.........this winters must have.

Posted Images

My 10 month bitch is getting farking cold when out for a stroll, anyone have any recommendation on coats for her?

Try jans gifts

or try on LL - http://www.lurcherlink.org/llink/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Think on thin coated dogs - coats are fine and do help a lot,

my own dogs dont always wear coats, my deerhound and beddy x dont wear them,

if its realy bad weather than i may put one on the beddy x, but the deerhound wouldnt thank me for it,

insted i have a toweling coat for her to make sure if she has got soaked she can warm up faster when back home,

the bull lurcher thats staying with me though does need a coat - she feels the cold very quickly.

Im of the opinion theres no real need for coats on dogs in our climate....not if you keep the feedpan right......a well known dogman who a few others on here know used to keep a yard of 50+ short coated bull breed dogs in Canada where much of the year temperatures reaching anything up to -40......these were dogs kept in normal drums on a chain set up....he never lost 1 single dog to the cold.........if you dont change your dogs diet from what he has all year round and keep him peaked out with very low bodyfat in an outdoor kennel,then i can possibly see the benefit....but very few people keep dogs that way.

whats dog do you have?

i got my whippet coat from citycroft whippets. think they would make any size if you messaged them. ebay is also a decent place. lots on there.

i can see the need for using a coat sometimes. my whippet isnt doing much apart from slow walks at the minute and im not really putting a coat on her. she doesnt seem to mind it that much. the weather up here has been bad like most of the country, snow, extreme wind and rain and whatever else it feels like throwing at us. ive only had the coat on her maybe twice.

not bothered about not looking 'macho', if i think the dogs going to be cold then ill put it on.

i was out lamping with a member last night. he had a 'rough' coated dog that was absolutley fine with the wind and rain. we then took his whippet for a run and she difinitley felt the cold when she was stood still.

a coat could be handy for warming up and after the runs when walking home when the dogs going to cool down and feel the cold but like has been said, not all dogs will need them. :thumbs:

When I used to course competitively we would spend the entire daylight hours walking, with each dog given its turn to run. 7 or 8 hours is a long time for a thin skinned dog to be out just walking, not running hard, with no protection from the elements.

When you think that most Saluki types don't have thick waterproof coats, those dogs would spend maybe 4-5 minutes maximum off the lead and running their hare. So a dog ran for a few minutes, and then probably spent the next hour or so walking on the lead, in mid winter, through rain, freezing wind etc on the fens, before it ran again.

Any athlete will tell you that to perform efficiently, muscles must be warm. Cold muscles not only work less well, but are far more prone to injury. When the club I was with first started out most of the dogs were more the all rounder sort, not the fine tuned Ferraris of the coursing field we have become used to nowadays. As more and more Saluki types hit the fields, you could really see how these dogs suffered when run 'cold'. Gradually, over the years, more and more hardened coursing men brought out coats to rug their dogs up between runs. Even the so called hard men, those to whom a dog is just a dog, began to realise that their dogs ran better if they weren't chilled to the bone!

Rugging up between runs not only keeps the muscles warm, but means the dog doesn't lose a lot of condition and energy trying to keep warm.

Of course rugging up out lamping is hardly practical! LOL But for dogs which are walked a lot in bad weather, as I said before, its a good way to stave off chills and retain good body heat. Say you have to walk for an hour to get to your lamping ground, through sleet, rain or in bitter cold: I would have thought it would make good sense to keep a smooth coated dog warm and dry before running it.

At last a lurcher man with some brains.
  • Like 1

Racing Game, After Run ,Rug Up ,,Out in Paddock Bad Weather ,Rug Up, don't see much difference in short coated /fine boned Dogs it won't do them any harm not to ,but not to ?Look at Thermal imaging in animals /heat loss then decide if it's a good idea :hmm:

Every year i love these threads! . . . . Putting a coat on a dog thats being lead walked in shit weather DOES NOT make you gay . . . what it will do is ensure the dogs muscles are kept warmed whilst exercising. First thing that gets thrown over a race horse once its crossed the line as is walked down is a coat . . . . because they are weak, pathetic, soft??? No because they are worth a huge amount of money and anyone with an ounce of sense or knowledge will know that hot muscles cooling too quickly will cause strains and chills.

My dogs are never lead walked and therefore don't wear coats when exercising as they keep themselves warm, however as soon as they are home they are put into equa fleece coats and keep them on until they are either dry and warm or brought into the house in the evening. My bitch has had her coat now for 6 years and its still like new, exceptional quality, no buckles or clips to get snagged in the kennel and ultra effective at drying and warming.

These are the type all mine have, more a kennel coat for the reasons mentioned above, if i ever had to lead walk my dogs i would get them the waterproof version. :yes:

http://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/dog_jumpers.html

• Like 1