books !

Funny this topic coming I mentioned to my mate I was thinking of getting a terrier and doing a bit of research told him a nabour gave me 2 plumber books and 2 other books out of the blue as I give him rabbits this week and he dropped down 7 plumber hard backs 3 others Hancock Newcombe Walsh omega Merle rogues and running dogs and fell terrier

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Read the books credited to Hancock Whin,look at the style and wording,they were Plummers works exactly the same as Michael Shaw being a pseudonym,he dabbled in hunting,courted those who did it,took th

I see you've got a thread about getting your first lurcher, so I guess you'd be after more training books than hunting books? Jackie Drakeford writes some good training books and a definte buy should

I can't praise Penny enough for her book. I've only read one of Jackie's books but although fairly short, I still found it fairly informative (plus they can be picked up pretty cheap on ebay etc.). As

Apart from the 9 or 10 page (has it been edited and locked?)Of Deer and Dogs thread earlier revolving around a book of that name your not going to get racier and more exciting than this little number http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dogging-Novel-Abby/dp/1905290322 Heres an excerpt to whet your(and my)appetite(Plummer never wrote nowt like this).....

"It’s getting dark, but the country car-park is far from deserted. Cars turn in every so often, and drive around slowly, their headlights picking up groups of men standing round talking and smoking. Suddenly, carried on the hot night air, a woman’s laughter can be heard...

I think its about dogs :blink:

Apart from the 9 or 10 page (has it been edited and locked?)Of Deer and Dogs thread earlier revolving around a book of that name your not going to get racier and more exciting than this little number http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1905290322 Heres an excerpt to whet your(and my)appetite(Plummer never wrote nowt like this).....

"It’s getting dark, but the country car-park is far from deserted. Cars turn in every so often, and drive around slowly, their headlights picking up groups of men standing round talking and smoking. Suddenly, carried on the hot night air, a woman’s laughter can be heard...

I think its about dogs :blink:

That sounds like some fecker lamping round blidworth bottoms in nottinghamshire :laugh:

If you don't have someone to take you out and actually teach you then books can be a valuable source of info.

Although I started 20yrs ago helping train gundogs with my dad I still didn't have the first clue about how to start lamping with a dog. When I started I didn't even know your supposed to get the dog to look/run down the beam. I presumed you spotted then walked at the quarry until it ran then slipped the dog. I was amazed when Roo watched the beam swing round the field then pulled like a train when he spotted a Rabbit squatting.

Simple thing for some but if you haven't been told then how would you know?

I've learnt by reading books, searching on here but nothing really beats just getting out there with the dog.

A lot of people seem to slag off sites like this but It's hard to start on your own with no one to ask advise from.

The only people I know that work lurcher's are people I've met on here and invited them out for a run.

never read agood book about training a lurcher better going out and learning from good guys or ttrail and error its not difficult to cacth arabbit even themost useless hunters can get afew rabbs , harold wymans great game is a good book ,plummers are more for a bed time story for adlesants as if you have been at the game its alot more diffrent he was a schooll teacher and was no natural hunter ,Mouchers Tale by Chalkwarren is agood read , the men that are real skilled with hunting knowledge few would put pen to paper in aproffesional manner nowadays , hope you find what youn are looking for ps darc has wrote a new book on deer hunting maybe be good

merle start of a dynisty thats a good reed its a old book good all the same. it gave me sum pointer aswell about other dogs bullying each other read that book got it sortad in aflash

Darcy's books are all good, Phil Lloyd's A Mouchers Tale is a fine read, and he has a sequel out now, Penny Taylor's Running Dog Maintenance, has received very positive reviews. Ted Walsh's books are good.

i think plummer liked to gloss over the facts,but no matter what people think of him,he certainly did do a bit.as for natural hunter,i dont even know what that means whin.arent we all deep down natural hunters?back to plummer books.i think most lads when starting of as a kid read plummer books.yes take them with a pinch of salt but most authors like to spint the truth a bit.i for one found plummer books a good read,and very funny at times.

he was a theroist and the he bumped up hancocks book sales, and his ,to me a hunter like old harold wyman and a few others ive met, there at the game wore the tee shirt , were he wrote about everybody else not his own stuff half the time ,if any one here was at fiasco in the forum he chicked my mate out black and whites for asking him some hunting questions ,i met him at scone palace he said nice dog i said ye he said who bred it d slieght he says ill burrie that man how dare thee write about his dogs better than mine he was loopy

if you remeber all the pics he took with shiny shoes blue anoraks and not a bit of dirt the first complete lurcher , you could tell he wqs a bit of a fraud , you have just dug five foxes in winter you get you photo taken you have some battle scars im not tyrying to say he was total useless but old Chalkie knows a bit about the man,