dogs living in the wild

I see them regularly. There is a wild collie dog in my village at the moment. He's as wild as a fox. I also know of a pack of feral dogs in a local big town, they only come out in the dead of night, and lay up in derelict buildings during the day. I also know a place where I am sure feral dogs are living in wilderness and have been for generations, probably eating sheep.

Edited by cúagusgiorraí

a good few years ago there was a greyhound bitch that was said to have escaped from the local flapping track living wild in the local area, i saw it a few times over a number of years then it vanished. I did hear someone had caught it and taken it in but who knows. anyone else come across dogs living wild?

i think there was a greyhound that won the saint leger after living wild for a good few months before he was recaptured-i cant remember his name but think he was a brother to spectre 2

I am always surprised at how dogs will revert to a wild state so quickly. I used to read about it loads on lurcherlink. Someone's dog would go missing then be spotted a week or so later, but they could not catch the dogs because it acted like it had never seen it's owners before, extremely nervous feral behaviour. Once caught went back to it's original happy pet state?

It shows just how close to the surface the wild survival instinct is in most domestic dogs. And interestingly, that dogs see humans as predators when they are in that feral state of mind. Maybe something to remember when training pups: dogs need to see themselves as predator, not prey, to be strong and confident!

We once homed a rather divvy lurcher to some really nice people locally: a lurcher we'd reared from a pup. There was nothing majorly wrong with her, she just didn't have the necessary minerals to make a good worker. The people accidentally let her out of their house, loose, an hour after they had got her home! Doh! The bitch then spent the next three days running around the area, crossing a motorway at least 3 times that we know of. (how she was not run over I'll never know) Finally a definite sighting and I went to where she'd been spotted, and she ran like a wild thing when I called her name, back across the motorway, and up a lane on to some farm land. I took my old bitch with me and found the escapee back of some farm buildings drinking from a puddle. When I saw her I sat on the ground and started laughing and throwing sticks for the old bitch, who thought I'd gone nuts, but after a few moments the escaped bitch must have been switched back into domestic mode: she came in slowly at first, then at a gallop, and first of all greeted my old bitch before diving into my arms for a cuddle. She was then completely back to her old domesticated self: needless to say we never let her go back to the people, who didn't want her any way after she'd caused so much trouble: their words!

• Like 1

I see them regularly. There is a wild collie dog in my village at the moment. He's as wild as a fox. I also know of a pack of feral dogs in a local big town, they only come out in the dead of night, and lay up in derelict buildings during the day. I also know a place where I am sure feral dogs are living in wilderness and have been for generations, probably eating sheep.

This is the reason why there wouldn't be many roaming around. When hunger set in they would revert to catching the easiest of prey and if there was sheep around then they would get it first and the dog would be shot on the spot.

• Like 1

a good few years ago there was a greyhound bitch that was said to have escaped from the local flapping track living wild in the local area, i saw it a few times over a number of years then it vanished. I did hear someone had caught it and taken it in but who knows. anyone else come across dogs living wild?

A black mongrel terrier type dog lived rough for a few years,you would often see it mouching around,if it saw you it was off like a shot.when out with the terriers one one occasion we flushed it into a net, it was so agressive and wild we released it....

Many years ago a springer spaniel was living rough near Friskney in Lincs, it had been living rough for at leat 4 months before i was asked to catch it, it was too crafty to enter the cage trap used or eat meat laced with ACP so after a week we shot it with a tranq gun, the dog should of dropped but was so wired it ran into a 20 acre field of maize and took us an hour to find it, the dog went to a local kennels and i told the new owners who took it on not to let it off the lead, they didnt and let the dog off the lead less than an hour later and we never saw the dog again.........

there used to be a white lurcher dog who lived in local fields to me you would often see him walking up the main road early in the morning heading back up to a wood and on the lamp out hunting in a golf course and ajoining fields hed run from the beam after a couple seconds and run a mile during the day if he seen you. he used to be in perfect condition and had a strange body language :hmm:

about 15 yrs ago we used to go mooching on bedford moss and for about 4 yrs we often saw 2 lurchers and a terrier mooching about,it was thought that travellers had left them after staying somewhere nearby,you could whistle and shout em but they never took a blind bit of notice, me and my mate once sat down and watched them working on the opposite side of the canal,the terrier worked the cover and bolted a rabbit which one of the lurchers caught,then they all started tearing at it, it was funny because they all looked like they had the same amount each :thumbs:

Edited by craigyboy