BeddieXwhippet

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a first cross non-ped whippet x bedlington he's just mated my non-ped first x whippet greyhound

two of my beddy whippets , one's a first cross and the other a 3/4 cross , excellent little hunting dog........

i have a first cross bed/whippet thats just over 18 months and is coming on very well at ferreting and lamping and will tackle any cover. However, if your looking to not just lamp rabbits or hares if

Posted Images

cheers guys , nice looking dog that mate how old? and whats the breeding? ,. im into the bigger dogs too i have a 1st cross dhgh , but the beddie sounds like an ideal partner as ive heard theyll take on bush like troopers and also have good speed and agility

Got a 6 month old pup at moment trainings coming on ok only for

rabbits like looks like she's pacy enough still got lots of growing/maturing to do but coming on nicely

good to hear mate im going through all that with mine its all starting to come together now its all paying off now no better feelin!

I have a beddy/whippet 1st cross with a bit of greyhound in as the whippet line was both kc and non ped racer. Turned out small at 18 1/4". Got her for ferrreting, marking and ratching dykes etc. She is marking great has a excellent nose will face any cover and is 100% with ferrets and livestock. She has caught a few daytime rabbits and caught a few that slip the nets. Had her on the lamp a few times and is going ok, was hunting up but got that sorted now. Dont go heavy on her maybe 6 runs, she is very sharp i ran 5 the other night caught 4. I also have a border terrier which yaps like hell when on a rabbit, dont take it ferreting, but have them over the fields everyday. Now the little beddy/whippet is having the odd yap in daytime. Cant be frustration as she is catching a fair few and for size is fairly fast. Been quiet on lamp up to press but had a odd yap on one the other night. I only lamp to get it sharp and fit and if i get 6 decent runs it is off home, if she runs gets 6 decent runs will nearly aways get 3 plus. That is what puzzles me in the fact that she catches plenty. I also just take the dog on the lamp on its own. Anyway what i am getting around to is that i would go for a beddy/greyhound first cross if you want a first cross as you should still get the excellent hunting instinct but should be gaurenteed a decent heigh (20" plus). Also just my personal opinion but i would stay away from non ped racers and stick to kc coursing whippets, my father raced non peds for years and they can be yappy things. My bitch has the best racing lines possible in it but i think speed is all you get. My bitch is just 16 months so i am hoping this odd yap thing is just a blip, also i am leaving the terrier at home. Whatever happens she will be going nowhere as she is a great little ferreting dog which is what i got her for.

I have been looking at beddy whippets and fancied one on and off for a while just for mooching, ferreting and Lamping bunnys.

Someone once said to me why beddy, why not straight whippet. A good one will do anything a small lurcher can.

And I'm beginning to agree.

Went out with a mate and his little bitch Monday night, 14 month old and 18.5" tts and she really impressed.

She had about 5 runs 2 were difficult runs and didn't expect her to get them, 2 were really good runs and she was on there tails (one squeaked she got that close) and the last one she scooped up after a really good run.

She can turn on a sixpence and is like a rocket off the mark.

She isn't wimpy and shivery like ive heard they are or can be. We were out for 3 hours, midnight to 3am in the pissing down rain, and crazy wind and she didnt make a sound.

She took a couple of knocks, one she took a tumble over a rabbit hole and thought she was gonna stop running but she continued and caught it.

She is also really fiery and almost terrier like in temperament.

Not knocking beddy crosses at all, just opening up options and see what others say about straight whippet and what the beddy brings to the table?

Atb

Gaz

i have a first cross bed/whippet thats just over 18 months and is coming on very well at ferreting and lamping and will tackle any cover. However, if your looking to not just lamp rabbits or hares if your on holiday, then an influence of greyhound would suit your needs a little more, but as i say if your looking for a nice little rabbiting (and hares if your on your hols in ireland or wherever its legal) then a bedlington/whippet will be ideal, heres a quick video of my first cross (the dark one) and my mates bedlington/whippet with a bit of greyhound (the lighter grey one).

• Like 1

I have been looking at beddy whippets and fancied one on and off for a while just for mooching, ferreting and Lamping bunnys.

Someone once said to me why beddy, why not straight whippet. A good one will do anything a small lurcher can.

And I'm beginning to agree.

Went out with a mate and his little bitch Monday night, 14 month old and 18.5" tts and she really impressed.

She had about 5 runs 2 were difficult runs and didn't expect her to get them, 2 were really good runs and she was on there tails (one squeaked she got that close) and the last one she scooped up after a really good run.

She can turn on a sixpence and is like a rocket off the mark.

She isn't wimpy and shivery like ive heard they are or can be. We were out for 3 hours, midnight to 3am in the pissing down rain, and crazy wind and she didnt make a sound.

She took a couple of knocks, one she took a tumble over a rabbit hole and thought she was gonna stop running but she continued and caught it.

She is also really fiery and almost terrier like in temperament.

Not knocking beddy crosses at all, just opening up options and see what others say about straight whippet and what the beddy brings to the table?

Atb

Gaz

Nothing wrong with a cousing whippet from good lines. I would definetly have one myself. You should get a little more speed than a beddy whippet plus you will have a better idea of the size you might get. Some of those coursing whippet dogs are 22/23" and around the 40lb mark.Seen some work should do anything a beddy whippet will do. My beddy/whippet has a great nose but the coursing whippets i have seen also had good noses, hunt up, mark and catch. For rabbits just the job.

i have a first cross bed/whippet thats just over 18 months and is coming on very well at ferreting and lamping and will tackle any cover. However, if your looking to not just lamp rabbits or hares if your on holiday, then an influence of greyhound would suit your needs a little more, but as i say if your looking for a nice little rabbiting (and hares if your on your hols in ireland or wherever its legal) then a bedlington/whippet will be ideal, heres a quick video of my first cross (the dark one) and my mates bedlington/whippet with a bit of greyhound (the lighter grey one).

nice vid pal! :thumbs:

cant beat a beddy cross in my oppinion, a little bedlington whippet cannot be beaten on the turn ideal for rabbits and will usually try their look on just about anything!,

i have a first cross that i use for abit of rabbiting now and again and ideal for rats, iv also got a 9 months old beddy whippet grey bitch that stands 24" tts with a little bit of filling out too do, she was bred too take much bigger stuff than rabbits and hares n i ant gunna lie she will proberly be useless on both of them but like i said she wasnt bred too take them she was bred too be heavy for a reason...

post-66128-0-72034200-1319649623_thumb.jpgpost-66128-0-88299600-1319649680_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...