Lack of Borders ?

There was talk on here a few weeks ago about trying to start a working border club or forum so there is intrest for it but the easiest option is to get talking to people here who work them and help each other out when it comes to looking for studs,pups etc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting a club is a waste of time, what happened to johnny blucks club? The only hope for the working border is for close knit groups of genuine working terrier lads to test & cull hard, place pu

They only get slated by the people that have to take there terriers out on a leash all the time and haven't got the patience to wait a bit longer to enter them. I can't fault them for an all round wor

This Border dog done his job today!  

When I used to work terriers regulary I dont think we ever saw a Border that was just right, some nearly but just not quite. Not suggesting there weren't any good ones or aren't any now and I do think it was also to do with entering. I recall being surprised at how the Borders I saw could be taken out EVERY week with other workers ratting, digging, bushing but show such little interest, even when rats would run past their noses or there was a fox to ground! The Russells, Pats and Lakeys and to be fair Border/Lakeys took to their tasks like ducks to water relatively speaking and I even saw some street mongrells out work Borders 110% at rats. Odd. There were always rumours of workers and I remember ppl quoting Oxcroft(?) lines I think but we didnt see them work unfortunately. I am sure there are some good ones and I have total respect for anyone who choses a breed and sticks to it to work and improve the breed so I think the forum is a great idea :thumbs:

Incidentally there is a article in Shooting Times this month about working Borders.The chap makes some interesting comments about the breed.

im not so sure how you,d go about starting out with a wbtc,would there have to be a comittee?, or would it be run by members?, without it getting too political and being fooked up and sent to the wall, like some other clubs, look at the wbtc that was recently formed by a certain person not so long ago, we spent a tenner and heard sweet fanny adams, so i think it would have to be worked out properly,

• Like 1

theres plenty of borders about but to find the workers you have to look long and hard, theres to many breeding them they ll all tell you there workers just to get your money and prices around these parts are more 550 ---850

No you prick I'm the type who only has 2 dogs and has them for life, doesn't breed pups, never have probably never will especially not for cash.

nor do i but if i breed its for my own use not to make money from.but even if you let people have them cheap they will take the piss and try to sell you 1 back at full price.so to me a working border club wont work as there is to many sly b*****ds in it for me.

my brother has a working border, and very true theres load of show stuff but little true working blood, a few years ago levi oakes was the man in the know with these little tanks! can be very hard though! to hard in some cases!

levi bred the best borders ever believe me they were the best god bless him

my brother has a working border, and very true theres load of show stuff but little true working blood, a few years ago levi oakes was the man in the know with these little tanks! can be very hard though! to hard in some cases!

levi bred the best borders ever believe me they were the best god bless him

You are forgeting Ray walker Edited by The Breeder