recall

alrite guys i have took my 6 month old pup out the last 3 nites and his recall has went to crap he just looks at me now when i call him he doesnt run away but just seems as though he wants to do his own thing he does eventually come but only once i have called him loads of times does any one know how i can sort this out any advice appriceated

call him if he does not respond walk away in the oposite direction, when he comes in pleanty of praise if you put him back on the lead every time he comes back to you that could be the problem, get him out in the day time and make it a game, at the end of the day he's only a pup

Edited by airbourne

Go back to basics, first make sure he understands what you want of him, call him in a small area and reward, do this repeatedly intill learnt, remember 1 comand only, then once learnt if he doesnt respond scruff him and take him to where you said the comand and repeat in a stern voice. never let the pup get away with ignoring your comand.

good luck

Alex

Go back to basics, first make sure he understands what you want of him, call him in a small area and reward, do this repeatedly intill learnt, remember 1 comand only, then once learnt if he doesnt respond scruff him and take him to where you said the comand and repeat in a stern voice. never let the pup get away with ignoring your comand.

good luck

Alex

:thumbs: :thumbs:

i'd just walk off mate pay no attention to the dog and do my own thing recalling it is just what it wants when its young on the lamp after a slip keep the lamp off till he comes back if that means walking for five minutes so be it don't be calling of the dog just wait till he comes to you lead it up then lamp again don,t no about lads on here but i never need to call of my dogs they come to me soon as the run over trying to be quiet on the lamp and then shouting of a dog kind of defeats the object and dont scruff nothing when it comes back or it won't come back and dont praise it neither just ignore it let it follow bother you atb :thumbs:

its annoying isit when you see your dog not doing somthing he has for months ,my young dog [18 months] was retreiveing rabbits for months they wern,t alive but allways 2 the hand ,now since i,ve moved him on quarry that dosen,t or carn,t retrieve he stoped retreiveing fullstop i,ve gone back 2 basics but i think i,m fighting a looseing battle but i,m not giving up not yet anyway mbut it pisses you off

Guest born to run1083

recall is most important part to a lurcher especially with a working one, age is not an issue as as soon as it's over 10 weeks old it should have recall, no recall no working dog. I would do all you can to resolve it now before it becomes a major issue. remember you rule the dog he doesn't rule you

Edited by born to run1083

Never call your dog more than once, all's your learning the dog is to tune you out

and what ever you say - will end up just as white noise to the dog.

I would start again with the recall, take some treats out with you and encourage the dog to come to you,

get it excited and make it fun, if it ignores you walk away and ignore it, when it does come back, ignore it

put it on lead for a few mins, then let it off again with a que word like go play,

through out your walk you need to keep recalling the dog back in - putting it on lead for a minuite or so

then let it off again.

What a lot of people do is go out walk their dogs and only put them back on lead when the walks over and the dogs off home,

this can create a dog to start avoiding, as it dosent want the fun to end, never punish the dog if it does come back to you

even if it has ignored your command, as all's that will do is make the dog want to avoid you more.

alrite guys i have took my 6 month old pup out the last 3 nites and his recall has went to crap he just looks at me now when i call him he doesnt run away but just seems as though he wants to do his own thing he does eventually come but only once i have called him loads of times does any one know how i can sort this out any advice appriceated

his recall is crap because before he didn't have distractions that he does now, his recall has got to link into his drive somehow , the dogs drive is his strongest pull,simple as that ,nothing is stronger,,,and thats the pull your up against

try feeding 2 hounds this year at Clonmell ,when the hare has came through the channel and into sight,,impossible i would think,,treats are not in the same league

his drive is pulling away from you,,because he dont equate you with him been in drive,,

a dog playing with a ball can be in drive,a dog playing tug can be in drive,,

lose treats think play items,,equate play and drive,,make the dog want to be with you, connect to his very core,nothing is stronger,,

Edited by Casso

his recall is crap because before he didn't have distractions that he does now, his recall has got to link into his drive somehow , the dogs drive is his strongest pull,simple as that ,nothing is stronger,,,and thats the pull your up against

try feeding 2 hounds this year at Clonmell ,when the hare has came through the channel and into sight,,impossible i would think,,treats are not in the same league

his drive is pulling away from you,,because he dont equate you with him been in drive,,

a dog playing with a ball can be in drive,a dog playing tug can be in drive,,

lose treats think play items,,equate play and drive,,make the dog want to be with you, connect to his very core,nothing is stronger,,

i agree :yes: dont turn the lamp back on till he is back like i said in an earlier post that way he'll learn not on lead no lamp and running on bunnys :thumbs:

So you're lamping a 6 month old pup? :icon_eek: Did I get that right? If you are, do you honestly think that the pup is going to come back to you when the night is alive with all sorts of smells and sounds? Are you really more exciting than all that? I don't think so. At 6 months most pups are way too immature to be out lamping and under any sort of control. All you are doing is creating a dog which will hunt for itself, and you are just a hindrance, a nuisance who wants to stop him having fun.

You need to train the dog properly first, and the dog won't be ready, mentally or physically, to take on board all the things you need to teach it to work with you until it is older. I held a pup back recently until she was nearly 14 months old before I started lamping her. Sure, she'd have run before now, and caught, but she'd have buggered off too, and learned that she could have all the fun she wanted without me there.

Training is about conditioning the dog to have fun through you: not on its own, like Casso says. You can't expect a pup of that age to be properly conditioned to think like this as you won't have had enough time to fix those things in his head, nor will he be mature enough to react the way you want when you give the command.

What your'e doing is like taking a young bold kid to a fun fair and expecting it to listen to its parents rather than run around looking at everything and wanting to go on the rides. A pup is like a young child, it needs educating, and it needs to go through all the various stages of growing up before it is ready to do grown up stuff. Not saying that some pups don't catch when young, and some do as they are told, but each stage of growing up is there for a reason, and just like we don't expect young kids to always do as they are told, neither can we expect a pup to do as we tell it, unless we make ourselves more exciting than anything else. How can you be more exciting than chasing a rabbit? You can't, not at this stage, and not unless you have spent months preparing the pup to listen to you: and you do this by training: having fun, playing with the pup and teaching it, through play, that you are the best thing to be around. It all takes a lot of time and effort on your part. There are no short cuts.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

So you're lamping a 6 month old pup? :icon_eek: Did I get that right? If you are, do you honestly think that the pup is going to come back to you when the night is alive with all sorts of smells and sounds? Are you really more exciting than all that? I don't think so. At 6 months most pups are way too immature to be out lamping and under any sort of control. All you are doing is creating a dog which will hunt for itself, and you are just a hindrance, a nuisance who wants to stop him having fun.

You need to train the dog properly first, and the dog won't be ready, mentally or physically, to take on board all the things you need to teach it to work with you until it is older. I held a pup back recently until she was nearly 14 months old before I started lamping her. Sure, she'd have run before now, and caught, but she'd have buggered off too, and learned that she could have all the fun she wanted without me there.

Training is about conditioning the dog to have fun through you: not on its own, like Casso says. You can't expect a pup of that age to be properly conditioned to think like this as you won't have had enough time to fix those things in his head, nor will he be mature enough to react the way you want when you give the command.

What your'e doing is like taking a young bold kid to a fun fair and expecting it to listen to its parents rather than run around looking at everything and wanting to go on the rides. A pup is like a young child, it needs educating, and it needs to go through all the various stages of growing up before it is ready to do grown up stuff. Not saying that some pups don't catch when young, and some do as they are told, but each stage of growing up is there for a reason, and just like we don't expect young kids to always do as they are told, neither can we expect a pup to do as we tell it, unless we make ourselves more exciting than anything else. How can you be more exciting than chasing a rabbit? You can't, not at this stage, and not unless you have spent months preparing the pup to listen to you: and you do this by training: having fun, playing with the pup and teaching it, through play, that you are the best thing to be around. It all takes a lot of time and effort on your part. There are no short cuts.

Loads of goood stuff on this thread. My pup has just reached nine months and the last few days has been hell on earth. I thought I had won, recall was great, could call her off almost anything. Last week or so as people have said shes found loads more fun than me. I shall start over :-(