Strength in pure collie???

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the collie x i have is over half collie and when walking him on the slip out lamping he will pull out my frigging arm.. he's keen as mustard and a great rabbiting dog.. But when i'm walking him throug

I had a near pure collie as a kid and in the pic with this post he was getting on a bit, but he taught me all the basics of owning a hunting dog,he was exactly the same speed as a hare and never caugh

aye but just think if you could of got him obsessed with rabbits instead of sticks, mine had the same obsession to begin with untill she learnt what a rabbit in her mouth was like.

Posted Images

can the pure bred collie from working lines fill a decent bag on the lamp, rabbiting wise?

If they are the leggy racy sort from proper working lines like the black/white one below then yes but if they are the hairy barral on 4 legs sort like the chocolate/white below with KC'S then no

they are good woking dogs ,i work with them alot, the quad bike hasnt helped the breed and a lot of good strains of fell collies have been ruined with acd blood being added,they are amazing stamina wise but dont compare to a lurcher as a hunting dog they just lack a little bit of speed,and when layed of for abit seems to take a long time to get up to speed again.

can the pure bred collie from working lines fill a decent bag on the lamp, rabbiting wise?

There was a guy on here from anglesey a fair while ago who used to take good numbers running a pair of pure collies (1 at a time). They make cracking ferreting dogs.

a mate of mine has a hancock dog half collie its not much faster than a collie,its big heavy thing collie dog over greyhound bitch,ithink it would be better lining a collie bitch with the greyhound you seem to get better that way.

Is it true that Typp Ratcher puts Greyhound dogs over Border Collie bitches I told that by a few people how true it is I not know i.ve seen one of his dogs it was 19 inches tall

Guest born to run1083

a mate of mine has a hancock dog half collie its not much faster than a collie,its big heavy thing collie dog over greyhound bitch,ithink it would be better lining a collie bitch with the greyhound you seem to get better that way.

Is it true that Typp Ratcher puts Greyhound dogs over Border Collie bitches I told that by a few people how true it is I not know i.ve seen one of his dogs it was 19 inches tall

my first x is bred collie dam sire coursing grey. she's 12 months today. 23 tts I've put a few picks up before. can't upload now as on iPhone

The only dog I've ever had with collie in it was a lab x collie we got from a farm when I was younger. I trained it to fetch a ball (it took about an hour, very clever dog!), but from that moment on it was completely and utterly obsessed with fetching. If you took it for a walk without the ball it would run around frantically looking for a stick and then put it right at your feet, if you stepped over the stick it would pick it up again and bring it back round in front of you until you threw it again. Really irritating to be honest. We tried to take it mooching with another dog but although it would chase rabbits if it saw them, it would be so obsessed with bloody sticks it wouldn't see them 9 times out of 10. It was like a robot with fur!! I can imagine that's why people say collie lurchers are so good at ferreting, if you trained one to go ferreting it would be obsessed with it and I would imagine it would stand watching a burrow for as long as you wanted it to.

My lab/collie had absolutely endless stamina though, I took it to the river once to knacker it up and after 3 and a half hours of throwing a ball in the river and across the field I gave up cos my arm was fecked and he was still ready for more, still running as fast as he was on the first throw. It was the dogs stamina that was its downfall in the end though, it didn't matter how much it was walked as soon as it got a second on its own it was over the fence and off for a run on its own, used to do it regularly and one day it just didn't come back. A mate of my dads saw it get hit by a car and some coppers killed it with a truncheon because it was so badly injured. In hindsight it was a stupid choice for a pet dog though, straight off a working border and a working lab, needed 10 times more exercise than we gave it.

Very, very strong dog for its size. Never used to fight but one day a doberman came on the field that knew my dog and saw it every day, they always got on fine but this one day, all of a sudden they kicked off. The doberman was twice his size and was trying to get mine on his back but he held his own and in the end the doberman gave up and retreated.

Although it's only based on one collie cross that wasn't a lurcher, that dog put me off getting any dog with border collie in it. Just too robotic, too obedient (I know it sounds daft), lack of character, not my cup of tea at all.

snapback.pnglurcher1, on 08 September 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

A bloke im working with over here has brought a pure collie with him from ireland and ive been taking it out with me on an evenings mooch and the one thing that has amazed me is the power in the fecking thing !!! If it sees anything its crazy to get it to it near pulling my fooking arm out its honestly one of the strongest dogs ive ever walked but ive never thought of collies like this and never really walked a pure one are they all like this??

The collie has alot of good attributes for a lurcher, and its almost more about the temperament than the physical attributes ;)

But as you mention 'Crazy' in your post Lurcher1 It gives me the fear as a 'window licking' collie is the one thing you dont want in a lurcher how ever strong it is.

I also would not see pulling your arm off when lamping a good thing at all in lamping dog, a nice collie type IMO should be laidback unless at work, and even then not over the top, just nice and steady.

Edited by Sirius
Guest born to run1083

The only dog I've ever had with collie in it was a lab x collie we got from a farm when I was younger. I trained it to fetch a ball (it took about an hour, very clever dog!), but from that moment on it was completely and utterly obsessed with fetching. If you took it for a walk without the ball it would run around frantically looking for a stick and then put it right at your feet, if you stepped over the stick it would pick it up again and bring it back round in front of you until you threw it again. Really irritating to be honest. We tried to take it mooching with another dog but although it would chase rabbits if it saw them, it would be so obsessed with bloody sticks it wouldn't see them 9 times out of 10. It was like a robot with fur!! I can imagine that's why people say collie lurchers are so good at ferreting, if you trained one to go ferreting it would be obsessed with it and I would imagine it would stand watching a burrow for as long as you wanted it to.

My lab/collie had absolutely endless stamina though, I took it to the river once to knacker it up and after 3 and a half hours of throwing a ball in the river and across the field I gave up cos my arm was fecked and he was still ready for more, still running as fast as he was on the first throw. It was the dogs stamina that was its downfall in the end though, it didn't matter how much it was walked as soon as it got a second on its own it was over the fence and off for a run on its own, used to do it regularly and one day it just didn't come back. A mate of my dads saw it get hit by a car and some coppers killed it with a truncheon because it was so badly injured. In hindsight it was a stupid choice for a pet dog though, straight off a working border and a working lab, needed 10 times more exercise than we gave it.

Very, very strong dog for its size. Never used to fight but one day a doberman came on the field that knew my dog and saw it every day, they always got on fine but this one day, all of a sudden they kicked off. The doberman was twice his size and was trying to get mine on his back but he held his own and in the end the doberman gave up and retreated.

Although it's only based on one collie cross that wasn't a lurcher, that dog put me off getting any dog with border collie in it. Just too robotic, too obedient (I know it sounds daft), lack of character, not my cup of tea at all.

aye but just think if you could of got him obsessed with rabbits instead of sticks, mine had the same obsession to begin with untill she learnt what a rabbit in her mouth was like.

• Like 1

yeah I know what you're saying. Although it's early days, what I like about my lurcher is the fact I can take her ferreting and she'll be good in terms of concentration, I take her lamping and she seems to be pretty good at that aswell in that she'll come straight back if she misses and she follows the beam etc., she also does OK at daytime mooching.....but if I take her on the park with the misses and sprog she'll just walk round the park as normal, fetching sticks/balls etc. or just walking, she's also got bucket loads of character. I wouldn't want a dog that's obsessed with anything to be honest. I guess if you wanted a dog that's just a tool for ferreting or lamping then yeah, get it trained and it'd be bang on.