longest 'line' of lurcher to lurcher bred dogs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hairy dogs I have now come from a 'family' (can't really use the word 'line') which has been lurcher to lurcher bred for many years. The first bitch I had from these lurchers sadly died at an earl

Oh dear: someone's got the wrong end of the stick. This was in the days before lurchers were being bred for money, churned out like factory produce. Anne was a very well respected person who ran a she

I remember her saying that Chalkwarren. There is something very personable about them, in general. Of course mine are now a long, long way from the line that Anne bred.........I added Saluki, from a l

Posted Images

its intresting how guys who no what works for them no how to keep a line of dogs or bring better in to suit line called good stockman ship a lot on here just by any lurcher cause the guy says it is ive got pics of all dogs bred and how they come by to the present day and litts of pups to see how they throw good thread

the sire to my pup is a lurcher and is the breeders own line of lurcher i belive from 30 odd years ago. :thumbs:

But that all changed when you brought in the Mastiff type sled dog, so why even mention your dog?

And surely if the line went back far enough, wouldn't it be a breed? Food for thought.

The hairy dogs I have now come from a 'family' (can't really use the word 'line') which has been lurcher to lurcher bred for many years. The first bitch I had from these lurchers sadly died at an early age, but the breeder's stud dog was used over my friend's bitch, and I've been breeding from that side of the line ever since. The breeder was Anne Powers, and they were lurcher to lurcher when she got into them back in the 60s, if I remember rightly. There's a couple of photos of her dogs in Ted Walsh's Lurchers and Longdogs book: Bimbo, a white rough lurcher with a brindle 'saddle patch' and a little bitch called Bridget: she used both when she was breeding her line of lurchers.

She once wrote down a list of every dog and bitch which had been used through the years by her or her friends, but it means bugger all as far as breeds are concerned: the way she told it went something like this...............Mr X's fawn rough coated dog to Anne's brindle bitch, a dog from which went over So and so's brindle bitch, and so on. The actual breeds within the line were of no great importance to Anne: its what the dogs were like which mattered to her, and although she never worked them seriously herself, they had free run of her farm: she used to tell me stories about dogs which would go out on the farm and return an hour or so later and jump over the stable door into the kitchen and present her with a hare or a rabbit!

I shall never know how long they have been lurcher to lurcher bred, but it would be nice to think that they are a very old line. I doubt they could rival the 400 years that Burrell claims of his lines LOL

• Like 5

theres a few local lads that own lurcher x lurcher breeding that live near me.

which i bred and can trace the linage back 35 years,

most of these lads dont want to know lines and how far they go back because once they own the dog its tunnel vision.

its a shame because theres so much to tell about each and every dog that was used in the making of these dogs.

atb dai.

theres a few local lads that own lurcher x lurcher breeding that live near me.

which i bred and can trace the linage back 35 years,

most of these lads dont want to know lines and how far they go back because once they own the dog its tunnel vision.

its a shame because theres so much to tell about each and every dog that was used in the making of these dogs.

atb dai.

to me thats how the best lurchers are bred true worker to true worker fairplay to yah dai :thumbs:

The hairy dogs I have now come from a 'family' (can't really use the word 'line') which has been lurcher to lurcher bred for many years. The first bitch I had from these lurchers sadly died at an early age, but the breeder's stud dog was used over my friend's bitch, and I've been breeding from that side of the line ever since. The breeder was Anne Powers, and they were lurcher to lurcher when she got into them back in the 60s, if I remember rightly. There's a couple of photos of her dogs in Ted Walsh's Lurchers and Longdogs book: Bimbo, a white rough lurcher with a brindle 'saddle patch' and a little bitch called Bridget: she used both when she was breeding her line of lurchers.

She once wrote down a list of every dog and bitch which had been used through the years by her or her friends, but it means bugger all as far as breeds are concerned: the way she told it went something like this...............Mr X's fawn rough coated dog to Anne's brindle bitch, a dog from which went over So and so's brindle bitch, and so on. The actual breeds within the line were of no great importance to Anne: its what the dogs were like which mattered to her, and although she never worked them seriously herself, they had free run of her farm: she used to tell me stories about dogs which would go out on the farm and return an hour or so later and jump over the stable door into the kitchen and present her with a hare or a rabbit!

I shall never know how long they have been lurcher to lurcher bred, but it would be nice to think that they are a very old line. I doubt they could rival the 400 years that Burrell claims of his lines LOL

doesnt it say on his website he added kelpie/wirehaired pointer and ed reid bull blood to his "strain"

or did i read it wrong , :hmm:

its that bit where they are on about someone adding husky blood to a lurcher.