It shouldn't happen to a lamper

Been thinking over some of the weird and wonderful things I've witnessed over the years with the dogs. Some have been funny some have been weird and some have been tragic. Like driving for 100's of miles only for the dog to rip open it's chest on a fence not two minutes out the car and having to drive straight back home. Or another time when trying to get down wind of a fox we jumped a farm wall only to land in a slurry pit up to our chest in cow shit....not a pleasant drive home. I've been bowled over by dogs chasing quarry and landed on my battery cracking my ribs....long slow painful walk home. Fallen in rivers, been electrocuted, kicked by a horse head butted by a goat. Saw a mate get knocked out by a deer.

I've been chased by farmers, police and gamekeepers. I was even lamped by a police helicopter on one occasion. One of the scariest things when a few of us were out mooching and the dogs flushed a fox in a field right next to the M 8 motorway and they caught it on the central reservation. There's 3 of us trying to get to the dogs without getting killed and then trying to rescue the dogs....one lucky fox and 3lucky dogs and owners.

I've had to bury some good dogs and seen some cut down in their prime or just as they're beginning to show potential. Seen grown men cry over losing their dog. Some of the funny things I've seen include a mate being savaged by a rabbit he had in his pocket.... He thought it was dead...incidentally he was the same guy that got knocked out by the deer. He was also bitten badly by a ferret the next day. I can also recall another mate of mine dragging a fox by the tale after his dog had done it....or so he thought half way back the fox which must have been stunned woke up and started going mental. Really funny watching him dance around still holding on to it's tail while it's spitting and trying to latch on to him.

There's lots of other stuff that's happened over the years that has defied belief . I've lamped just about everything you can think of accidentally as well as intentionally, even a couple shaggin on a golf course. It's been great fun most of the time....one tip for the young uns never get into an arguement with a farmer driving a muck spreader....it's not smart it's not clever and it tastes f*****g awful.

Let's hear yours!

• Like 17

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been thinking over some of the weird and wonderful things I've witnessed over the years with the dogs. Some have been funny some have been weird and some have been tragic. Like driving for 100's of

4 young lads 15 year old off ferreting,,, so first warren nets down,ferret in, all done by hand signals, , real pros these lads , red all the plumer books, so stricktly no talking.   first hour pa

I remeber lamping one night and a little shetland stalion started bitting my beddy whippet and because she was steady with stock she just stood there crying when it bit her so I being a real brain box

Been thinking over some of the weird and wonderful things I've witnessed over the years with the dogs. Some have been funny some have been weird and some have been tragic. Like driving for 100's of miles only for the dog to rip open it's chest on a fence not two minutes out the car and having to drive straight back home. Or another time when trying to get down wind of a fox we jumped a farm wall only to land in a slurry pit up to our chest in cow shit....not a pleasant drive home. I've been bowled over by dogs chasing quarry and landed on my battery cracking my ribs....long slow painful walk home. Fallen in rivers, been electrocuted, kicked by a horse head butted by a goat. Saw a mate get knocked out by a deer.

I've been chased by farmers, police and gamekeepers. I was even lamped by a police helicopter on one occasion. One of the scariest things when a few of us were out mooching and the dogs flushed a fox in a field right next to the M 8 motorway and they caught it on the central reservation. There's 3 of us trying to get to the dogs without getting killed and then trying to rescue the dogs....one lucky fox and 3lucky dogs and owners.

I've had to bury some good dogs and seen some cut down in their prime or just as they're beginning to show potential. Seen grown men cry over losing their dog. Some of the funny things I've seen include a mate being savaged by a rabbit he had in his pocket.... He thought it was dead...incidentally he was the same guy that got knocked out by the deer. He was also bitten badly by a ferret the next day. I can also recall another mate of mine dragging a fox by the tale after his dog had done it....or so he thought half way back the fox which must have been stunned woke up and started going mental. Really funny watching him dance around still holding on to it's tail while it's spitting and trying to latch on to him.

There's lots of other stuff that's happened over the years that has defied belief . I've lamped just about everything you can think of accidentally as well as intentionally, even a couple shaggin on a golf course. It's been great fun most of the time....one tip for the young uns never get into an arguement with a farmer driving a muck spreader....it's not smart it's not clever and it tastes f*****g awful.

Let's hear yours!

'KIN BRILLIANT :laugh: :laugh: lmfao

first time out with a good guy of here the daft git lost his keys lol we looked for ages couldn't find them next day he was out looking and found them in one of the fields lucky git :laugh:

OK not a lamping story

had the helicopter circle me, me mate and his son when out with the shotties on permission we carried on walking turned around his son was waving at the chopper holiding a .410 :icon_eek:

• Like 1
Guest dances

Seen a mate of mine nearly have a heart attack after getting stuck on a field, had the dog scatter me and break my medial ligament chasing a bunny, been cuddled and hid behind by a 20 stone bloke when a cow came towards us, had old bill put a large powerful light on us for no reason other then to ruin our lamping, been accompanied by another 4x4 on a field whilst lamping and I cried like a girl when my little bitch broke her neck.

Seen trips, falls, stumbles and fights, I've had nights of laughter and nights of tears but I would change it for the world.

• Like 2
Seen a mate of mine nearly have a heart attack after getting stuck on a field, had the dog scatter me and break my medial ligament chasing a bunny, been cuddled and hid behind by a 20 stone bloke when a cow came towards us, had old bill put a large powerful light on us for no reason other then to ruin our lamping, been accompanied by another 4x4 on a field whilst lamping and I cried like a girl when my little bitch broke her neck.

Seen trips, falls, stumbles and fights, I've had nights of laughter and nights of tears but I would change it for the world.

Aye it's a hard one to take when you lose a dog on the field seen it happen so many times it's unreal and yor right I wouldn't change any of it...except losing the dogs.

Guest dances

i luckily didnt lose her . . . what i wouldnt change is the raw emotion of it all ; the fear, shock, excitement, panic - the list is endless and its all on the spur of the moment. you never know what gonna happen

At 14 years old being tutoured by an old experienced man,ferret had the rabbit caught by the face and put my hand in to retrieve the rabbit.It was facing inwards.Lifted the bunny and it pissed straight into my face,the oul lad laughed for an hour.Then theres the night I walked up a very long steep hill to lamp,plenty of rabbits about,slipped the dog and he ran straight into a scratching stone for cattle.Knocked out completely cold,I had to carry him down on my shoulders ,and at over 60 lbs in weight I thought Id collapse before I got to the car.He didnt last long after that.He went blind,had fits and eventually had to be PTS.The one thing that really stuck in my mind was watching my young lurcher break his two front legs in front of me while chasing a rabbit,had to borrow a gun from the farmer to put him out of his misery,sickening situation.

I remeber lamping one night and a little shetland stalion started bitting my beddy whippet and because she was steady with stock she just stood there crying when it bit her so I being a real brain box slapped the shetlands arse now that would of been fine had I not been stood behind the f****r it booted me right in the knackers,droped me like a sack of shit and then started to bite me when i was on the floor i let go of the lead and the dog f****d off and my mate stood there not more than 10 ft away laughing his cock off :rofl: . 19st 6ft 2 and got bested by a midget horse real crack. :wallbash: :wallbash:

• Like 8

electric fency's are allways a giggle when out lamping as long as your not the one who grabs hold of it first to see if its on.

like you lads have said the good, the bad and the ugly of lamping can be testing at time hilarious at outhers and out and out heart braking I had to let my lurchers go to friends as we got moved to a flat temporarily 2years later we have just moved to a house so I think a whippet could be making in its way to our house some time. God I miss lamping.

I remeber lamping one night and a little shetland stalion started bitting my beddy whippet and because she was steady with stock she just stood there crying when it bit her so I being a real brain box slapped the shetlands arse now that would of been fine had I not been stood behind the f****r it booted me right in the knackers,droped me like a sack of shit and then started to bite me when i was on the floor i let go of the lead and the dog f****d off and my mate stood there not more than 10 ft away laughing his cock off :rofl: . 19st 6ft 2 and got bested by a midget horse real crack. :wallbash: :wallbash:

best by a midget horse,, stop it i got tears rolling down my eys lol,,,

some crackers there undisputed,,, play this game long enough and your band to have funny, sad , all kind of storys and emotians.

• Like 1

great read brought back some memories for me some bad losing good dogs doing the job they loved some funny like the night we pulled up to start lamping and my mate had the runs dropped his kecks and crouched down and the car opposite who were getting down to it putt the headlights on him we didnt know they were there he didnt stop like he said he was in full flow .another night picked my mate up who had come out from nick in the morning annd wanted a quiet nights lamping anyway cut a long story short came down heavy farmers keepers and police and my mate out on early release we hid in a pile of stingers and my mate shat himself and i mean really shat himself funny at the time but not driving home with him in the car . another night my son put a rabbit in his game pocket which he had nacked and when he weny to put another in it bit him .funny asfeck at the time another was i hadnt long had a new hip and was out lamping and also got stuck in a slurry fell over and my son and mate wouldnt /couldnt help for pissing themselves laughing.lost my wellingtons as well. another night we got chased by a load of ostriches.not funny at the time.put some more up later when i got a few minutes .

Lol keep them coming guys i'm reminded of a funny situation when we were out. My mates bitch was in season and he decides to let one of the other guys dogs line her. The dog being inexperienced was having difficult finding the spot. So both of them decide to lend a hand. So the dog mounts and he's trying to guide it , the other guy is opposite from him holding his bitch steady. Anyway at the crucial point the dog slips out and shoots his duff all over his face. Nearly had a heart attack laughing.