Hunting Down Under !

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm in Australia on family business, and contacted some of the hunting lads down here for a few days hunting. The lads off "OzzieDoggers" did me proud and took me out on saturday and are arranging som

This is the dog with Wolfhound in him; a big powerfull dog, takes all quarry he finds !     Cheers.

These two wouldn't look out of place in the U.K. Basicaly bred from generations of Lurcher to Lurcher;       Cheers.

Awesome photos C. Regarding the difference between Roo dogs and Stags: would it be fair to say that they are both like our lurchers, with the Roo dogs being smooth coated and slightly smaller and stockier, or is that just the two in your photos?

Pardon me for butting in

Awesome photos C. Regarding the difference between Roo dogs and Stags: would it be fair to say that they are both like our lurchers, with the Roo dogs being smooth coated and slightly smaller and stockier, or is that just the two in your photos?

As I understand it, "Lurcher" is you term for a generic cross between a sighthound and a working dog.

"Staghound" is a term that we apply to a similar cross of hybrid of the smooth-coated sighthounds - mainly greyhound - and the roughcoated sighthounds, predominantly deerhound.

They may be either rough or smooth coated, although it is more common for the rough coated dogs to be referred to as Staghounds and the larger smoothcoats as Kangaroo dogs.

Try here http://www.kangaroodog.org/

Gerry, I'd love to come out with the hunt, I'll pm you my wifes number. If somehow you don;t get it, both Dromana and Frankie/Moses have it.

Skycat, I may be wrong, but I think the only difference between Roo Dogs and Staghounds is the coat, Roos being smooth coated and Stags being rough. The Roo dog in the pics has a wee bit of Bull in him way back, and the Stag has a bit of Borzoi way back.

Tomo, we saw pleanty hares, and the only reason we didn't slip on them was that we were after other quarry. I can't believe the Saluki or Saluki Hybrid isn't more popular down hear, as the land we were on would be perfect for coursing !!

Cheers.

Gerry, I'd love to come out with the hunt, I'll pm you my wifes number. If somehow you don;t get it, both Dromana and Frankie/Moses have it.

Skycat, I may be wrong, but I think the only difference between Roo Dogs and Staghounds is the coat, Roos being smooth coated and Stags being rough. The Roo dog in the pics has a wee bit of Bull in him way back, and the Stag has a bit of Borzoi way back.

Tomo, we saw pleanty hares, and the only reason we didn't slip on them was that we were after other quarry. I can't believe the Saluki or Saluki Hybrid isn't more popular down hear, as the land we were on would be perfect for coursing !!

Cheers.

its the country to go to, thats for shure,,, am i right in thinking organised hare coursing with greyhounds was banned years and years ago,,,,,, but can you still hunt them with lurchers/stags ect???

Yep organised hare coursing was banned years ago, but there are heaps of hare about. You can shoot them or dog them. I shot a couple tonight for the dogs. I think that they are a pain because i hunt foxes. They just wear your dogs out. It was not uncommon to shoot 20 hare that are pushed from a swamp with the hounds while chasing foxes.

I think the only Saluki over here are show bred stuff, i may be wrong though.

Edited by Gerard40