Shy rabbits, how to overcome them

I recently got a place I metal detect on but with thousands of rabbits too and if you dressed in cammo with a gun their gone in seconds but in ordinary clothes or armed with a metal detector they are litterally running round you in circles 20 ft away chasing each other as they are used to seeing people on horses, feeding horses and generally working on the land daily, I used this trick by having gun too and when I bend down to dig a target from detector I wait till one shows as their warren streches out from woods to open field too then when they think its ok he's digging more rubbish whack....over they go.

This one was no more than 15 ft away whilst I walked with my metal detector and did'nt run even whilst I fumbled to get my phone out to take pic...It was only till I could of been 5 ft away then it only ran a few paces then stopped to carry on munching a few yards on they re mad here but sometimes to easy for a challenge :laugh:

Time to keep a pistol in your pocket ;)

Darryl

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone got any tip's on shy rabbits, On my permission you can not get within 120 yards of a rabbit, as soon as you lay eyes on 1, that's it they go to ground, I have on many occasions found good hidin

Cheers Duncan!   I'll do anything I can to help people out. I went round to Seans yesterday evening and sorted his rifle for him. Firstly I chronoed it using superdomes, 11.2ftlbs average so all fi

Yes Wing Commander Gibson. :icon_eek:

Posted Images

Take me with you and I'll see if I can give you some pointers.... :thumbs:

we live in the same place ;)

Darryl

Nice one Darryl. It is always good to see folk encouraging other shooters and helping out; putting back into the community is what will keep it thriving. :yes:

ATB

Duncan

Darryl

Nice one Darryl. It is always good to see folk encouraging other shooters and helping out; putting back into the community is what will keep it thriving. :yes:

ATB

Duncan

Cheers Duncan!

I'll do anything I can to help people out.

I went round to Seans yesterday evening and sorted his rifle for him. Firstly I chronoed it using superdomes, 11.2ftlbs average so all fine there, I then aligned the scopes properly as the crosshairs weren't aligned causing him to cant the rifle.

Also he's a lefty using a right handed S400 which wasn't ideal but using a sponge and some tape I fashioned a makeshift comb. It looks a bit "Blue Peter"ish but it seems to work

A piece of A4 was used to zero and after a plinking session Sean was putting 10 shots pellet on pellet in a 15mm killzone at 20yds(the length of his garden) so that's the basics sorted..... We just need to get in the fields now, extends his zero range, get him used to his aimpoints and he'll be well on his way.....

Darryl

• Like 1

Darryl

ATB

Duncan

Cheers Duncan!

I went round to Seans yesterday evening and sorted his rifle for him. Firstly I chronoed it using superdomes, 11.2ftlbs average so all fine there, I then aligned the scopes properly as the crosshairs weren't aligned causing him to cant the rifle.

Also he's a lefty using a right handed S400 which wasn't ideal but using a sponge and some tape I fashioned a makeshift comb. It looks a bit "Blue Peter"ish but it seems to work

A piece of A4 was used to zero and after a plinking session Sean was putting 10 shots pellet on pellet in a 15mm killzone at 20yds(the length of his garden) so that's the basics sorted..... We just need to get in the fields now, extends his zero range, get him used to his aimpoints and he'll be well on his way.....

Darryl

Good effort mate, nice to see :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

Darryl

ATB

Duncan

Cheers Duncan!

Darryl

Cheers Darryl for the help yesterday mate, S410 not S400 ! , You were spot on regards the cant of the rifle, feels much better now, looking forward to getting the other issues sorted mate, Also still looking for a left handed stock as you know the right handed one is in mint condition so it may be coming on sale to help fund a lefty ! Had another look out last night & I was getting alot closer to them but nothing in the bag , I only took 1 shot & missed at about 30yrds ! There still shy gits, there wasn't a lot about last night either, you can see for yourself when we have a look out on friday if we can make it.

Regards Sean

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got any tip's on shy rabbits, On my permission you can not get within 120 yards of a rabbit, as soon as you lay eyes on 1, that's it they go to ground, I have on many occasions found good hiding places to wait on them to come back out into the open, but they must be aware that im around, As they dont seem to come back out, even after 30 - 45 minutes, it's getting to the stage that im thinking of packing in, or at the very least wait until the crops are cut, as it seems a waste of time going out, the other option im thinking about is setting some snares, but thats taking away the reason for having the s410 !

Each time I go onto my permission the rabbit are about, There some that are very good sizes, I just need some advive on getting a good shot at them !

Edited by festa

Anyone got any tip's on shy rabbits, On my permission you can not get within 120 yards of a rabbit, as soon as you lay eyes on 1, that's it they go to ground, I have on many occasions found good hiding places to wait on them to come back out into the open, but they must be aware that im around, As they dont seem to come back out, even after 30 - 45 minutes, it's getting to the stage that im thinking of packing in, or at the very least wait until the crops are cut, as it seems a waste of time going out, the other option im thinking about is setting some snares, but thats taking away the reason for having the s410 !

Each time I go onto my permission the rabbit are about, There some that are very good sizes, I just need some advive on getting a good shot at them !

thats easy just go poach someone else's permission like you normally do !!!

atb gary

Edited by vizlauk

thats easy just go poach someone else's permission like you normally do !!!

atb gary

Good advice from someone that also poaches on land there not ment to shoot on ! grow up.

Hello what's going on here? All's well with Darryl sorting your kit out but you get into some sort of ruck with his brother Gary?

Festa's one the nicest lads in shooting I've ever corresponded with. He is also one of the finest shots you could learn a few from and has plenty of decent permission. I really don't think the childish remark about him poaching on land he has no permission for shooting is even remotely true.

By the way, the simple answer to your thread question is a commonsense solution.

FIELDCRAFT! You have to convince one of the wariest creatures on the planet that you are not there.

To begin with; arrive early with the winds blowing towards you as you approach the intended shooting field.

Be as silent as you can.

Get yourself set up well into cover, well before the rabbits come out of their cover to feed. A thorough recce of your permission will give you a reasonable idea of when and where this is likely to be. Keep as silent and as still as you comfortably can.

Rabbits are really far from stupid.

They know if a field is being shot over heavily, the merest hint of a man's presense around means that some of their number will disappear. Usually after a bang or two!

The smallest sound you make, the merest wiff of your scent, they will detect you by it and you can forget it.

They have phenominal powers of smell so, keep the breezes into your face blowing your scent behind you and carry nothing that rattles, rustles or jingles.

Try it; you will bag a few!

Pianoman.

Isn't this the lad who was named as as the person who was taken out to help him out and then he went back and usurped the original lads who took him out and conned his way into getting their permission that they had taken him to?

Cheers, D.

Isn't this the lad who was named as as the person who was taken out to help him out and then he went back and usurped the original lads who took him out and conned his way into getting their permission that they had taken him to?

Cheers, D.

in deed it is!

Cheers, D.

in deed it is!

stop stirrin davy! off back to the lurcher section with you.

Night vision is cheating.... Improve your field craft and you will feel a lot happier with the bag of bunny's when you get them.

You can actually shoot wearing a Hi-viz!! it's un natural, too much and too fast movement that they are wary of.

I had the very same situation I laid my 5ft square of camo net in the gorse bush above their warren for a few days, then placed it 35y away at about 3am, so I knew my range as soon as I got in position, I steadily want back just before dusk taking an hour to get where I can in 5 mins.

I used my Ledray tactical 400 scope lamp with green filter and bagged 3 one after the other. I then waited 25-30 mins for another and same again. I left the net where it was went back two days later and had 3 more. I't was tricky as I had to come down hill towards them moving along a hedge. I had good old 95 camo head to toe then. a mesh type face vail and black MacWet gloves. I have thousands of acres to shoot on and this place has always been a challenge but it's all part of the fun. FIELDCRAFT FIELDCRAFT FIELDCRAFT, and a lot of patience.. you will have em mate..And they will taste superb.. Good luck..

Night vision is cheating.... Improve your field craft and you will feel a lot happier with the bag of bunny's when you get them.

You can actually shoot wearing a Hi-viz!! it's un natural, too much and too fast movement that they are wary of.

I had the very same situation I laid my 5ft square of camo net in the gorse bush above their warren for a few days, then placed it 35y away at about 3am, so I knew my range as soon as I got in position, I steadily want back just before dusk taking an hour to get where I can in 5 mins.

I used my Ledray tactical 400 scope lamp with green filter and bagged 3 one after the other. I then waited 25-30 mins for another and same again. I left the net where it was went back two days later and had 3 more. I't was tricky as I had to come down hill towards them moving along a hedge. I had good old 95 camo head to toe then. a mesh type face vail and black MacWet gloves. I have thousands of acres to shoot on and this place has always been a challenge but it's all part of the fun. FIELDCRAFT FIELDCRAFT FIELDCRAFT, and a lot of patience.. you will have em mate..And they will taste superb.. Good luck..

Excellent sensible reply on the topic, many thanks for your input, you have hit the nail on the head, Viz !