best fox dog ever seen

I dont find it hard to see a good dog doing 7 in a night , I have witnessed a dog catch and kill 3 foxes and 3 other sets of teeth in a night ,,,,,and we had to knock the beam off a couple more on the way back to the van !

Some of these half x , especially ridgeback xs , will way 80 -90lb , a heavy fox 30lb at best , some will be nearly dead on impact , I owned a fell hound x bull grey , massive jaw power , he would shake them twice , drop them and walk off !!!! ...........but above all they must have it in their heart or they never will .

I'd like to see a 80-90lb dog catch 7 winter foxes in a night.And I mean run off the slip not dropped out of a motor or killing dopey 3/4 grown cubs on the stubbles.

Not going to get into arguments on here , but , apparently the Ben dog was doing it , the dog I was out with was capable of it , are sure Bird will agree with me .
Like I said in an earlier post I don't think it's impossible for a very good dog to do 7 in a night I've twice witnessed a dog do 5 and seen 4 done a few times once myself with a 23 1/2 inch 57lb bitch but all these dogs needed a little rest period before they could be worked again.All this talk of killing 7 in a night and killing them on impact so they can go out and do it again the next day.All I can think is there must be inferior foxes in other parts of the UK.
  • Like 3

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my fox dogs might not be the best but av got more good nights and foxes with him and he suits me to the ground . hes the best dog av owned he lifts and kills an every run is exciting

And brian even managed to lamp all them foxes in a pair of leather slip on shoes all winter.........

7 or 8 in one day or night is some feat single handed if your talking catch and kill and mature winter foxes.Im not saying it's not possible but if a dog was to do it I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be go

Posted Images

I dont find it hard to see a good dog doing 7 in a night , I have witnessed a dog catch and kill 3 foxes and 3 other sets of teeth in a night ,,,,,and we had to knock the beam off a couple more on the way back to the van !

Some of these half x , especially ridgeback xs , will way 80 -90lb , a heavy fox 30lb at best , some will be nearly dead on impact , I owned a fell hound x bull grey , massive jaw power , he would shake them twice , drop them and walk off !!!! ...........but above all they must have it in their heart or they never will .

I'd like to see a 80-90lb dog catch 7 winter foxes in a night.And I mean run off the slip not dropped out of a motor or killing dopey 3/4 grown cubs on the stubbles.
Not going to get into arguments on here , but , apparently the Ben dog was doing it , the dog I was out with was capable of it , are sure Bird will agree with me .
Like I said in an earlier post I don't think it's impossible for a very good dog to do 7 in a night I've twice witnessed a dog do 5 and seen 4 done a few times once myself with a 23 1/2 inch 57lb bitch but all these dogs needed a little rest period before they could be worked again.All this talk of killing 7 in a night and killing them on impact so they can go out and do it again the next day.All I can think is there must be inferior foxes in other parts of the UK.

Why I said Ben was the best fox dog I've seen was not just the number in one night he did, it was because he was running and catching foxes at least once a week for years. I too have seen dogs do 4 and 5 but not many lasted a season when we took them down south once a week.

• Like 3

Serious question ,,,,,,,are southern foxes harder to deal with than Midlands or Northern foxes , or is it the land they are running on ?

A fox is a fox to me mate where ever it is in the country we just got on more in a night down south.

• Like 3

Serious question ,,,,,,,are southern foxes harder to deal with than Midlands or Northern foxes , or is it the land they are running on ?

A fox is a fox to me mate where ever it is in the country we just got on more in a night down south.

Trouble round here mate is , due to summer lampers and poor shooters they are lamp shy by September !!!

yep (tug) 1x staff x grey 26-27in 70 odd lb , it was seeing him work made me like bullxs, had 3 but nothing as good as what he was . :yes: my 1x gsd x grey Buck got great jaw on him, and pre ban would do well on old charlie , but maybe tug was just one of those dog that come along now+ then and was brill at his job :yes:

• Like 1

Trouble round here mate is , due to summer lampers and poor shooters they are lamp shy by September !!!

deff true mate, you be very lucky to call a fox in dec, it waste of time. they follow you around when you got few rabbits, but good 100yds away . ive often though mate how many really get caught with dogs pre ban after nov ? deff not down our old stomping ground lol

• Like 1

Come you can't leave us hanging now hahaha

To be fair mate, when she was going, the fox's were in plague proportions, where we were hunting a place called Homebush - New south wales 1980's
I lived right next door to Homebush in the 80's mate, south strath field to be exact.

deff true mate, you be very lucky to call a fox in dec, it waste of time. they follow you around when you got few rabbits, but good 100yds away . ive often though mate how many really get caught with dogs pre ban after nov ? deff not down our old stomping ground lol
It's no different down here especially as it's heavily keeper ed but the fields are big so 100-150yd slips were quite normal.Maybe that's why the dogs I've seen run down here went killing them in seconds because they might run 400-500yds before they even get a bend in.You have a couple like that in a night and 2 or 3 shorter ones and maybe a miss or 2 your dog is deffinately going to be sore for a few days.And these big 80-90lb smash them up merchants ain't even going to be catching many to kill them.
  • Like 4

It's no different down here especially as it's heavily keeper ed but the fields are big so 100-150yd slips were quite normal.Maybe that's why the dogs I've seen run down here went killing them in seconds because they might run 400-500yds before they even get a bend in.You have a couple like that in a night and 2 or 3 shorter ones and maybe a miss or 2 your dog is deffinately going to be sore for a few days.And these big 80-90lb smash them up merchants ain't even going to be catching many to kill them.

yeh it makes sense mate, with ground like that stamina deff needed then :thumbs: . Buck got good stamina+ pace for a big dog, he more supple than what my bullxs were , and bigger type dog, most of my 3 bullxs were 26in 70-75lb , Buck 28in 85 lb . when he runs rabbits / anything else he can pick them up as good as what old Bryn as done , and Bryn 25in 60lb . and all my lamping on foot, so they got have good wind if a long hard night :yes:

Agreed , we have to run them in horse paddocks , through sheep , through hedges etc , so it ends up more of a fight than a course !!! lol

Edited by blackmaggie