• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a young lad who has been coming to help me as often as he can,he's been doing all the "gopher stuff" for the last 2 season's and is keen as mustard,he's still only 17 but has proved hiself so

Not many young lads have the heart for terrierwork. instead, their more interested in alcopops, smoking, drugs and being lippy little fecks of hunting forums...

I seriously considered giving up about 10 year ago when all my dogs were stolen,its very hard to come back from that when it happens and i would not wish it on anyone,but i kept goin and i dug with a

Posted Images

Here you are the way how you can teach the new generation:

First of all tell him how to do it:

DSC_0231.jpg

give him some pencake as motivation:

DSC_0224.jpg

and he's gonna do alone:

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

after some time re-check his memory:

4.jpg

and if can't, show him again:

1.jpg

and again:

2.jpg

and at last try to give the 'terrier virus' to your mate's son too:

3.jpg

I think the future of the terrier game this way.

:notworthy:

I think terrierwork is alive today and allways will be in one form or another.

I think the divide between those who work terriers and those who dont (ie 80-90% on here, you know who you are) will become ever more evident.

It will end up with a small proportion of terriers doing the work, and a small proportion of decent terriermen producing workers.

Most breeds have gone downhill for years and now the cracks are starting to show.

I think the brunt of the damage to terrierworks image has already been done. The people who think its shocking etc will always oppose us but 90% of the population dont really bother. They have bigger issues.

I only hope that some of the clowns dealing dogs with good blood in them realise the long term damage they are doing because once its diluted its gone. And how can you get it back once its lost?

There are enough young lads (like myself and my broither) who eat sleep and breathe terrierwork to ensure it is never totally lost.

The best we can do is try to hold on to what is left, and forgive me when I loose the plot at some of the idiots on here as it boils my piss sometimes.

FTB

:victory:

• Like 1

just reading through some of the posts on here -- i asked my self the question is thr a future for terrier work in the next say 20 year .. some of the younger generation of digging lads are either clueless or know it all i know of a lot of older digging men who have packed up in the last couple of year a lot due to health and some for the way the games gone .. question for the older lads how much longer do you see yourself in the game - have you or intend to give the game up ? and the younger lads is the future safe in your hands ? thrs countless people that have done a lot of hard work to promote terrierwork work in the right way -- i dont want to single people out but is thr a b .w. of the future is the future of the fmwtc and other clubs gonna be safe in the hands of these younger lads ..

I think the divide between those who work terriers and those who dont (ie 80-90% on here, you know who you are) will become ever more evident.

It will end up with a small proportion of terriers doing the work, and a small proportion of decent terriermen producing workers.

Most breeds have gone downhill for years and now the cracks are starting to show.

I think the brunt of the damage to terrierworks image has already been done. The people who think its shocking etc will always oppose us but 90% of the population dont really bother. They have bigger issues.

I only hope that some of the clowns dealing dogs with good blood in them realise the long term damage they are doing because once its diluted its gone. And how can you get it back once its lost?

There are enough young lads (like myself and my broither) who eat sleep and breathe terrierwork to ensure it is never totally lost.

The best we can do is try to hold on to what is left, and forgive me when I loose the plot at some of the idiots on here as it boils my piss sometimes.

FTB

FTB

The best days of any type of dog work or hunting ,farming and all types of country pursuits are well and truely behind us now that we live in the plastic society so every youngster that is comeing into our way of life have to be welcomed with open arms as they will become fewer and fewer with each passing generation .....we have to teach them as best we can to have respect for quarry and there livestock ...if we teach them right from wrong ,morals and imo one very important thing to keep decent people around them then hopefully they themselfs will grow and flourish to pass on there traits to the generation behind them .

post-23537-0-36479400-1304439912_thumb.jpg

post-23537-0-59701700-1304439951_thumb.jpg

few year ago a lad used to come out with us keen as fcuk he had an older russell bitch off me for ratting did a bit of digging got a little lurcher went rabbiting we all thought he`d last the course .. then 4 year on he found out whr the pub was and what was in his pants ... the russells back on my yard and the lurchers his mums pet .. he might come back to it but none of the older lads are willing to help another youngster out my lads have never shown any interest and gone into differant sports -- my daughter was well into it but studies and buisness commitments have curtailed her interest .. none of the older lads i know have had any interest in it from thr kids they all went into football and wanted to be the next david beckham or ryan giggs ...

gus have been follwin line for 12 yer because loast dog in roks 5 dyays got it niece now got a stomper of a dog the one lost caot me 30 buks the o from then pics r on if you look tb

it may not be the same now as when i first started some 35 years ago but then i grew up in a small town in n.ireland where every one at my age and at local school done some kind of hunting i was lucky enough to have some family that were still involved in the clubs so at a young age got to see plenty of digging i then moved to the big smoke but still kept my dogs and met some lads here and carryed on as normal my own young lad has been coming out with us from about 6 years old and he is now 26 and has got his own dogs and is usualy first to turn up on a sunday and even lets himself in and makes his old man a cuppa but as stated not many young ones at it now but those that are are just as dedicated as i was when i first started and as for packing it in not a hope i am already looking at 4 wheel drive wheelchairs

I think a problem also is that a lot of people ( myself included ) would like to get involved with terrier work but dont know where to start especially if you don't know any one who does it .

Its not as easy as getting a lurcher or some ferrets , i have to say that terriermen look the most dedicated of the field sports community :thumbs: