Head shot/lung shot

I've done some searching but it hasn't really answered my questions fully so here goes...

As a beginner what should I be aiming for with different types of prey? I've been watching some videos on you tube and it raised some questions about what area I should be aiming at. With Rabbits it seems to be the head but with pigeons people tend to go for the chest...is this right for a beginner? I've also heard that a body shot to a pheasant won't necessarily kill it.

What would you advise I aim for when shooting rabbits, wood pigeon and pheasant in particular?

Edited by hogdog

I would advise that a head shot on all quarry if at all possible :yes:

Many people go for heart/lung shots on birds such as pidgeon because its a larger target, however this may be true but there are a few things to lean before attempting it.

A woody for example, has hudge pectoral muscles on the front of its chest and behind this is a huge breastbone. 9 times out of 10 the pellet wont make it through the muscle let alone the bone "Shield". So if you want a successful shot on a woody's boddy you have to aim from the side at the point at which the wing joins the body.

Many people refuse headshots on woodys because in the time the pellet takes to leave thr breech and hit its mark, the woody may have moved its head (they are fast) but I would rather have a miss than a wounded bird that may fly off.

Pheasant, deffinatetly head/upper neck shots only andb ONLY WHEN IN SEASON!!!

Take care

Phantom

• Like 1

I have always gone for the head on rabbits! If you miss the head you can get the neck which does lead to lethal injuries as well, just make sure you despatch it quickly after. A chest shot on pigeons is not recommended with a .22, pigeons seem to have armour plated chests so go for a head shot on those as well!

Edited by secretagentmole

head shots :thumbs:

pigeons (and pheasants) can have crops full of grain ( upper chest) which makes them almost armour plated...and also shooting at wing area is similar.

the aim point for rabbits is between the eye and the ear.......hit here and it will almost certainly be a quick and unknown end.

cheers

sean

head shots on rabbits -head shots on woodies -i dont touch pheasants-head shot on squirrels-and if you miss your target it lives for another day mate !thats my way of thinking anyway atb billy

head shots on rabbits -head shots on woodies -i dont touch pheasants-head shot on squirrels-and if you miss your target it lives for another day mate !thats my way of thinking anyway atb billy

i agree with some of these lads! RABBIT head shot allways,,,squirrel (very tough cookies) definatly head shot! pigeon head shot, unless moving about alot, top of wing option, or if you cant get either shot cos youre right underneath then, i shoot them up the backside sending the pellet through the guts and and organs and hopefully spine or neck! they drop for me all the time with this shot, 22 that is!

oh! and i leave pheasants alone!chris

Edited by pipa

As previously said by all, headshots all the way. If you train yourself to get a ten shot group inside a 1" circle on paper at your chosen zero range then headshots wont be a problem for ANY quarry. If you can't get them in keep practicing till you do and I'd advise against shooting at ANYTHING living until you can. You'll be more satisfied with yourself when you can claim a clean kill than wounding and not being able to find it or it flies/runs off to suffer.

Darryl

Happy hunting

• Like 2