Track dog blood

an also i just want it known where i stand on this subject.......

i agree wae moo, if i was gonna breed a litter out of a lurcher, it would just make more sense to me to use a tightly bred fast up an at em coursing dog that a full grey.........

that being said, i have just got meself a 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhound off asha on this site, think part of the reason i took 1 out of a full grey as dam was the fact that she is still racing, the pup will get the same chances as all the rest,

an i wont moan if it dont make the grade, i took the gamble :thumbs:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of the stuff written on this thred makes good sense but plenty seems to be written from heresay and scaremongering. Here's my 10 penneth worth. First off, we owe the greyhound a lot, without the

The problem with breeding out of track greyhound bitchs is to many are breeding out of lamed or failed dogs which have not seen any sort of lurcher work in there lives. A greyhound to be used in the b

MOO You never have ran or bred track greyhounds.But there you go shouting that big gob again.Then wounder why poeple wont answers your questions.There just maybe someone out there who knows more than

my dads old 3 quarter greyhound collie bitch was bred from a track dog that dermulder used to own good dog as well from what ive heard, and my dads bitch was an ace night and day dog used to kill hares on the fens regular :thumbs:

Yes they may have been rejected track dogs but that decision wasn't mine at the time. IMO why go back and breed in faults from a pure that would take many years to breed back out, to use a pure would be a step backwards with these dogs i feel. I have seen some cracking first cross and 3/4 bred dogs over the years but these matings have also produced the most wastage as well. Worker to worker all the way for me i'll let others gamble with first X's and maybe take advantage of there hard work further down the line :thumbs:

• Like 2

Yes they may have been rejected track dogs but that decision wasn't mine at the time. IMO why go back and breed in faults from a pure that would take many years to breed back out, to use a pure would be a step backwards with these dogs i feel. I have seen some cracking first cross and 3/4 bred dogs over the years but these matings have also produced the most wastage as well. Worker to worker all the way for me i'll let others gamble with first X's and maybe take advantage of there hard work further down the line :thumbs:

:thumbs:

well mate i see yer point an agree :thumbs:

The difference between winners and losers on the track is fractions of a second which means nothing in the field. I would be more inclined to use a dog that was injury free and honest over a long career than a flying machine that was retired early through injury........if I didn't have access to a decent lurcher that was already doing the job.

Edited by BOLIO1
  • Like 2

Yes storm70, I bought her about 20 years ago from her breeder in England. She was out of a greyhound bitch mated to a saluki dog and had her career cut short due to injury. Thats why I believe the best to best lurcher to lurcher or lurcher to saluki is the way to go. If I was breeding for racing dogs I'd breed greyhounds or hardbloods. Hunting dogs only need to be fast enough. Stamina, prey drive, durability, good feet and a cunning brain are more important imho.

• Like 2

The difference between winners and losers on the track is fractions of a second which means nothing in the field. I would be more inclined to use a dog that was injury free and honest over a long career than a flying machine that was retired early through injury........if I didn't have access to a decent lurcher that was already doing the job.

Great post and i agree 100%. Most that are down on using a pure racing dog are like sheep and just follow what they have heard or was told . It be a different story if they actaully got there hands dirty and raised a few.

Yes storm70, I bought her about 20 years ago from her breeder in England. She was out of a greyhound bitch mated to a saluki dog and had her career cut short due to injury. Thats why I believe the best to best lurcher to lurcher or lurcher to saluki is the way to go. If I was breeding for racing dogs I'd breed greyhounds or hardbloods. Hunting dogs only need to be fast enough. Stamina, prey drive, durability, good feet and a cunning brain are more important imho.

Never a truer word spoken.atb dell

optimus, without a doubt bobs a good guy with a lot of experience and knowledge in those days his old man and i raced together, he was brought up wi hardbloods and hunting dogs. hes a really good mate ive known him since he was a lad, we still walk our dogs together. i understand entirely your passion for hard bloods but i think it depends on what your looking for when you breed an individual bitch or indeed line. the guy with the deerhound is i imagine trying to keep some of his bitches virtues while reducing the size and adding a wee bit of zip and zest as well as turning ability and agility so imo paddy is an amazing choice. conversely if you were looking to add a wee bit of size maybe settle a strain or line down a bit whilst holding on to pace and throw a wee bit of hybrid vigour into the mix a well bred well known greyhound would suit. its down to horses for courses and being honest with yourself about your own dog and what you really want

moo this is simple mate no ofence your dog could be the best dog about mate il shake your hand if he is this post was about greyhound blood b patersons dog paddy and almost bob are purebreads in my eyes there none peds are nearly pure any purebread has to have other blood added or as optimus refered to the line will dilute itself i was lucky enough to spend a bit of time with anastasia nobile and darren bonnel at arkinglass estate i felt that to be a great honour she asured me like many other well nown deerhound breaders that greyhound blood was introduced weather the kept back for themselfs or note i do not no maxhardcore hit it bang on the button whithout firtscross dogs we would be noware whith lurtchers mabe i did go off a bit about my dogs ive worked the purebreads certanly there not always as good as lurtchers but neither is greyhounds its a fine ballance we are all trying to perfect mate or we would all have champions my pures have done me ok my 1stcosses have done me better than ok but without greyhound or whippet or harblood nonpeds i dont think id have owt some dogs need a coat some dogs need better feet some need more courage iam just looking fr more speed and paddy has that to offer atb lads :thumbs:

This thread was never about my dog but I dont know why you lied about me and said I offered my dog to stud and offered you money :thumbdown:

It was Bob who mentioned my dog in this thread and what he had to offer and as you can see I have offered to take him out any time he wants as he is only down the road from me and told him to bring along a dog and I will show him some good sport and show him what he has to offer.

I still stand by my views on this that a well bred lurcher might have that little bit more to offer than a track dog but can also see that some lines might improve by adding track blood but very much stand by breeding from tried and tested stock

The reason for the thread was after reading an article by Dave Slieght in EDRD about track dogs

like I have already said to you all the best with your litter

and if you are ever back up this way at Bob s give me a shout and will put some stuff infront of you deerhounds

• Like 1