hy guys just got a new fox trap you no the big long cage you put the bait at 1 end then when they pull it the door shuts just wanted 2 no whats the best bait and should i cover it with leaves and old mud and stuff cheers lads

:thumbs:

Hi i used to use a trap for fox and i found the best bait in my area was some of the older fouls which had ceased laying. I would dispatch it a day or two before i set the trap they seemed to like the smelly birds better.when setting i new trap i would leave it in place to weather and get rid of any human scents etc.sometimes i would cover most of it With foliage to make it less obviouse to passing folk and do gooders who like to let foxes out.when setting in a new area i would bait but not set the trap and let it take a couple to build its confidence up and then,bang its got it.seems like ages till ya get one in a new to weathers trap but it will do eventually.beware of people stealing or smashing them.i had one broken once.bloody eco warriors. I just shoot fox now they cant let them out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi i used to use a trap for fox and i found the best bait in my area was some of the older fouls which had ceased laying. I would dispatch it a day or two before i set the trap they seemed to like the smelly birds better.when setting i new trap i would leave it in place to weather and get rid of any human scents etc.sometimes i would cover most of it With foliage to make it less obviouse to passing folk and do gooders who like to let foxes out.when setting in a new area i would bait but not set the trap and let it take a couple to build its confidence up and then,bang its got it.seems like ages till ya get one in a new to weathers trap but it will do eventually.beware of people stealing or smashing them.i had one broken once.bloody eco warriors. I just shoot fox now they cant let them out.

why build its confidence when u can catch it first time

why build its confidence when u can catch it first time

I entirely agree..........if you can do enough to entice it into the trap you want to be catching it first time. I never have seen the point of pre-baiting an unset trap...........you are just missing the chance to catch it.

Hi i see your point,why bait a un set trap? I dont really know the reasoning behind it but a gamekeeper told me to do it that way .well to cut a long story short it has worked every time i never failed to get the fox.but im all up for change so when i set in the future im going to arm it first time and see what happens.

The reason you bait an unset trap is to build its confidence. When a fox approaches a trap he will be VERY wary of it, gingerly creeping round and round it, put a foot inside then bolting then getting half way in then bolting again, eventually grabbing a few feathers of the bait before bolting. A set trap might well go off at this point and the door will drop down on the foxes back as it bolts. That fox will never go near a trap again. If it gets to eventually take the bait away, eat it quite happily and tomorrow there is some more grub waiting for him he will be braver this time and still he takes the grub and off he trots to eat it quite happily. On day 3 he is is confident enough to just walk straight in, grab the bait and trot off back to his earth BUT this time the door bangs shut behind him and then in the morning you come along with your 410..............

• Like 2

The reason you bait an unset trap is to build its confidence. When a fox approaches a trap he will be VERY wary of it, gingerly creeping round and round it, put a foot inside then bolting then getting half way in then bolting again, eventually grabbing a few feathers of the bait before bolting. A set trap might well go off at this point and the door will drop down on the foxes back as it bolts. That fox will never go near a trap again. If it gets to eventually take the bait away, eat it quite happily and tomorrow there is some more grub waiting for him he will be braver this time and still he takes the grub and off he trots to eat it quite happily. On day 3 he is is confident enough to just walk straight in, grab the bait and trot off back to his earth BUT this time the door bangs shut behind him and then in the morning you come along with your 410..............

well said

i get by offten without bait.i use a few feathers maybe and some lure.lasts lot longer than bait to.

Where do you buy those scents mate :thumbs:

yep where did you get them , i need all the help i can get round here :thumbs:

spot on and some cage traps are to short in length

I tend to set the trap and hope for a quick catch but if I think foxy is the devious sort rather than pre-baiting an unset trap I'll bait the trap and actually leave it locked shut .

Foxy comes past, detects the bait but can't get it .Probably gets frustrated,snuffles around the cage. Digs a bit and in course of a few visits generally familiarises itself with what it believes is simply an obstacle to a meal rather than something to be feared . Rather than being suspicious of the trap foxy is actually desperate to get inside at the first oppertunity...Which comes soon enough .

post-13773-0-49169300-1301587037_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche

I tend to set the trap and hope for a quick catch but if I think foxy is the devious sort rather than pre-baiting an unset trap I'll bait the trap and actually leave it locked shut .

Foxy comes past, detects the bait but can't get it .Probably gets frustrated,snuffles around the cage. Digs a bit and in course of a few visits generally familiarises itself with what it believes is simply an obstacle to a meal rather than something to be feared . Rather than being suspicious of the trap foxy is actually desperate to get inside at the first oppertunity...Which comes soon enough .

post-13773-0-49169300-1301587037_thumb.jpg

have to say, Ill be trying it comanche's way next time on the urban foxes, as this is what happens when they try rushing in and out

post-5267-0-32650500-1301685849_thumb.jpg