could the lurcher

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Lurcher will do a gundogs job better than a gundog can do a Lurchers job !..... But a Lurcher will never be better than a gundog at a gundogs job !! Hope that makes sense !! LOL !!   Cheers.

cannae imagine 12 lined up toffy nosed snobs standing at pegs wae a skinny lurcher at each a theyr feets

I say, how rude *what,what,what* my father lord Charles-Montgomery Harrington III could buy and sell the "lurcher" section *what,what,what*

Posted Images

No the lurcher could never put an end to the gundog breeds as it would be impossible to breed consistancey for gundog work out of crossbreeds with sighthound and other breeds unlike some noted generations of gundog breeds.

true Dell, but with (some) of gundog's jobs, like rough shooting Bryn will go in any cover, and his mark is 100% and he will retieve :thumbs: .When i walk round with my gun 12g s/g , he will stand rock solid if want to shoot what ever game is there. He could never be a (peg) dog labs are the best for that, but in beating line and finding birds day+night is Brill :thumbs:

l3.jpg

l4.jpg

l6-1.jpg

my dad years ago used to use his lurchers for more thyen 1 job i,e working the gujn flushin etc etc etc infact he said if the dog couldnt work the gun he would get rid i mean i aint interested in that but there are dogs that will do the jobs with the right training :thumbs:

No the lurcher could never put an end to the gundog breeds as it would be impossible to breed consistancey for gundog work out of crossbreeds with sighthound and other breeds unlike some noted generations of gundog breeds.

true Dell, but with (some) of gundog's jobs, like rough shooting Bryn will go in any cover, and his mark is 100% and he will retieve :thumbs: .When i walk round with my gun 12g s/g , he will stand rock solid if want to shoot what ever game is there. He could never be a (peg) dog labs are the best for that, but in beating line and finding birds day+night is Brill :thumbs:

There's no doubting what Bryn can do Ray, but gun dog's aren't meant to catch what they find... :laugh: Is in that area where the biggest problem could arise when using a dog bred to chase and catch game. Gun dogs have been specifically bred for a few hundred years to put game out, not catch it. First for birds or prey, then later, guns. This trait goes straight against the usual canine instinct to catch and kill.

I'm not saying you can't train a dog to do another job, just speaking in the threads context about lurchers being able to replace gundogs. :thumbs:

Really good thread with some good points

I do quite a bit of wildfowling and a bit of driven/rough shooting and Im not sure how useful a lurcher would be retreving ducks/geese from a good strong tidal flow or river in flood. I guess in answer to the original post personally I think a good lurcher would be better than a shite lab or spaniel but think there will always be a need for proper gundogs.

So when we say lurchers we are lumping all running dogs together, lets narrow it down to say a first x collie/greyhound. I had one who knew when she was out lurchering so to speak and was well trained and bright enough to know when out shooting/beating. She as good as any gundog I met and was a country mile in front of most. It is possible but to be honest well beyond the needs or dare I say it capabilities of most lurchermen.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Only 4 pages before it arrived....."good as any gundog i met and was a country mile in front of the rest".........allow me to tell you the shoot you went to was full of pat-lickers then..... :yes:

Yes lurchers can do a decent enough job retrieving game but proper picking up isn't just dolly droppers in an open field. Run them thats what there for and leave the real work to the gundogs....... :whistling:

A lurcher that retrieves sure can be useful, and, I think, more of a companion than one just used for pursuits. Heres a good carry back from a 3/4 grey/1/4 saluki, with no lurcher in its pedigree. :angel:He works with the gun day or night, fur or feather. A handy dog to some people, but many wouldn't own him... :victory:

It all depends on what you want your dog for i guess..... :thumbs:

post-16-0-75620100-1298836735_thumb.jpg

had afew lurcher in the fetching department would be up with the best and done it in public ,fetch stop to wistle work to hand signal ,but that was not his job traine dhim to be a good allround dog fetched in water and fetched to hand signals out in left [bANNED TEXT] would i do it again nope but he was up with the best of them held rabbits to the wistle alive dropped to wistle same dog would catch all sorts but alot of work for what nothing in the end

had afew lurcher in the fetching department would be up with the best and done it in public ,fetch stop to wistle work to hand signal ,but that was not his job traine dhim to be a good allround dog fetched in water and fetched to hand signals out in left [bANNED TEXT] would i do it again nope but he was up with the best of them held rabbits to the wistle alive dropped to wistle same dog would catch all sorts but alot of work for what nothing in the end

Up there with the best what, Gundogs?............ :no:

I'd join in but I'm running out of line lol

line or time.......... :whistling:

:laugh: funny old place.... you can flash your wifes tits, you can arrange fights, you can slag bull crosses, small fields, trainer wearing hunters, practically anything but for the love of god, don't slag a saluki!!! :doh:

:laugh: funny old place.... you can flash your wifes tits, you can arrange fights, you can slag bull crosses, small fields, trainer wearing hunters, practically anything but for the love of god, don't slag a saluki!!! :doh:

Ironic that cause there f*****g shite!!!!!!! :whistling:

Ironic that cause there f*****g shite!!!!!!! :whistling:

whats the betting some sad c**t will bite