GREWS

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good thread for a change.To some of the younguns out their a lot can be learned from some of the old boys on the non ped raceing scene regarding conditioning and the well being of running dogs in ge

ROUND THIS WAY ........ THEY ARE CALLED " SNACKS "   SNACKS WERE THE LURCHER OF CHOICE FOR MANY COLLIERS FAMILYS .... A DOG THAT COULD PROVIDE A MEAL AND WIN SOME MUCH NEEDED CASH IN A RACE OF A

23" weighs 36lb Thanks for nice comments

Posted Images

This bitch was one of my late fathers racing whippets. 29/30lb a grand daughter of "Good as Gold" it was 1/4 greyhound. Her running name was "Gold Rush" from about 25yrs ago.

Good As Gold was probably the greatest yds/lb DOG ever !! Bitches usualy won the run of for Supreme Champion, but I'm sure he won a few !! And once again, he had the best of the Whippets, Bilko, on his sires side and Greyhound on his dams side ! Another Grew that was tremendous !

Cheers.

iam not sure,,,but good as gold was the only dog to get a mention in the ,,,newspaper THE TIME,S ,,,even jorden doenst get a mention lol,,,,,for good as gold winning so many supreme champ,s,,,,4 times i think ,,,and i think 2day has been,,the only one (dog) that has ,,,( not sure ) but everyone has his breeding and i mean everyone 2day

This bitch was one of my late fathers racing whippets. 29/30lb a grand daughter of "Good as Gold" it was 1/4 greyhound. Her running name was "Gold Rush" from about 25yrs ago.

think she was out of gold buck x caroline choice :thumbs:

She was mate, some good ones from that litter. "so perfect" "margaret" were very good. "Gold rush" had a few litters the best one was to "dream vision" (kerrys dream x Country music). Dad kept two bitch pups "Mad rush" and "Desert Storm", "mad rush" was National champ on bend and straight. Kerrys dream was a brilliant bitch bred from "Rhinegold" i think another son of "Good as Gold". I think Good as Gold was supreme racing champion 5 times. Dream vision was a litter mate of marillion who features in a lot of lurcher lines. I will put some more of my fathers pics on soon.

Edited by lifelong cumbrian

Marillion.theres a name from the 90,s.i had a bitch from his stuff.

marillion ,,,now there,s an other topic,,,,,, :thumbs:

:hmm:

once i get next 18min,s off rising sun vid up,,,,ill start on him :thumbs:

if i cant get rest off vid up,,,iam going in hinding :laugh: but i think ive worked it out :hmm:

in my racing day ,,,,no comment was winning every thing,,,,,,,,but ive missed a great stud dog MO EVIL , ill get round to awell :thumbs:

Good As Gold's "pedigree" ! Note the Greyhound Sire to the Whippet Dam in the line...

http://www.k9community.co.uk/cgi-bin/nonped/geneal.pl?op=tree&index=50&gens=5&db=nonped.dbw

Cheers.

ya right whip grey good as gold 4times r champ top stud dog 4yrs four stars hall of fame back to mallory got super rch nch mr benn3times top stud four stars hall of fame another great.

Great thread! Used to go to Darnall in the 70's and take photo's of the dogs racing, a dog named 'Tom Jones' seems to stick in my mind for some reason, never had one till over 20 years later and then aqquired a bitch called 'Ruff & Ready' ('So Evil' x 'Cheeky Ann'), I had her for working and she was a super little bitch.

Great thread! Used to go to Darnall in the 70's and take photo's of the dogs racing, a dog named 'Tom Jones' seems to stick in my mind for some reason, never had one till over 20 years later and then aqquired a bitch called 'Ruff & Ready' ('So Evil' x 'Cheeky Ann'), I had her for working and she was a super little bitch.

Have you got any of the photo's of the dogs racing?Be nice to see them :thumbs:

Have you got any of the photo's of the dogs racing?Be nice to see them :thumbs:

Not get any prints but I'll have a look and see if I can find any negatives, with a lot of luck hopefully may still be at my parents!

The lad in the pic, Terry, I remember taking him and his brother to race Robbo, (Bilko x Frozen Kill), against a greyhound, in an old Viva van back in the early '70s ! It was at Stanley Greyhound track , level break over 270 yards; Robbo led to the 1st bend, then the Greyhound took over and won easy ! That's when I realised that the old saying "a bad Greyhound will allways beat a good Whippet" was true !! LOL !! Great days.....I'm having flashbacks !!

Cheers.

THE OLD FILMS HAVE BROUGHT BACK MANY MEMORIES FOR ME AS WELL ,

THE NORTH - EAST AS I REMEMBER IT ....

THE OLD GUY ACROSS THE BACKALLEY FROM MY OLD MAs HOME WAS FROM A LONG LINE OF WHIPPET KEEPERS .... 4 GENERATIONS , NOT AN UNCOMMON THING AS WHIPPETS , LURCHERS AND TERRIERS ARE STILL TEN A PENNY IN THE AREA , MY MISSUS GRANDFATHER CAN STILL REMEMBER GOING TO THE RABBIT COURSING MEETS WITH HIS MINER GRANFATHER WHO USED HIS WHIPPETS IN BOTH THE HUNTING FIELD AND ON A SUNDAY AS A RACE DOG ,.........WHICH WAS COMMON PLACE

AT THAT TIME MEETS WERE STILL ORGANISED FOR WHIPPETS WHERE A FERRETTED RABBIT WAS PLACED IN A SAWDUST CIRCLE , 50 YDS AWAY FROM THE PAIR OF WHIPPETS , AS SOON AS THE RABBIT LEFT THE CIRCLE THE WHIPPETS WERE SLIPPED .... FIRST TO PICK UP THE RABBIT WAS THE WINNER ...... THIS WAS DONE IN A TWO DOG MATCH SYSTEM TILL IT CAME DOWN TO THE FINAL WINNING PAIR ....... IN LARGE ENTRY FIELDS SOMETIMES A DOG WOULD HAVE TO RUN 8 TIMES A DAY ......

THE OLD MAN PREFERRED HIS DOGS WITH BEDLINGTON BLOOD IN THE MIX , AND WAS APPARENTLY SUCESSFUL ....

THE BEDLINGTON INFLUANCE COULD BE SEEN EVEN WHEN I WAS A KID WITH MANY RACE WHIPPETS SHOWING A SILKY TOP KNOT .

I REMEMBER QUITE A FEW GOOD DOGS AMONGST THE WHIPPETS OF MY CHILDHOOD ,....... A DOG NAMED BEN THAT ALTHOUGH FINE BONED WOULD SMASH INTO EVERY DOG IT SAW INCLUDING A BULLTERRIER THAT OFTEN BOTH HAD TO BE BROKEN OFF EACH OTHER ! BEN HOWEVER EXCELLED AT RATTING AND WAS NEVER BEATEN BY A TERRIER TO A RAT .... DYNAMITE ,WE TOOK HIM EVERYWHERE WITH US BUT NEVER TOLD OLD MOTHER ARMSTRONG WHAT WE WERE USING HIM FOR , HELL NO ... SHE WASNT ABOVE HITTING A YOUNG LAD ACROSS THE SHOULDERS WITH HER CANE MAT BEATER IF ANNOYED !!

CHIPPER WILL REMEMBER AN OLD BRINDLE DOG CALLED SAM THAT DROPPED MANY A ROE ....

IVE TOLD THIS STORY BEFORE . BUT ....... SINCE A FEW HAVE MENTIONED THE STAMINA ISSUE ....

I ONCE SAID AS A SNOTTY NOSED KID OF ABOUT 10 TO A GOOD MOOCHING LAD THAT USED A SMOOTH COATED CUR MARKED DOG ,.......

" IS THAT A CUR X WHIPPET ? "

" NO KIDDA ITS A WHIPPET "

" I THOUGHT WHIPPETS WERE NO GOOD FOR LAMPING AS LADS SAY THEY AINT GOT NO STAMINA ? "

TO WHICH HE QUITELY PUT ME IN MY PLACE ......

" BONNIE LAD ,..... I CAN GO OUT 6 NIGHT OUT OF 7 WITH THIS WHIPPET AND KILL A DOZEN RABBITS ...... HOW MANY CAN YOU EAT ? "

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

THE OLD FILMS HAVE BROUGHT BACK MANY MEMORIES FOR ME AS WELL ,

THE NORTH - EAST AS I REMEMBER IT ....

THE OLD GUY ACROSS THE BACKALLEY FROM MY OLD MAs HOME WAS FROM A LONG LINE OF WHIPPET KEEPERS .... 4 GENERATIONS , NOT AN UNCOMMON THING AS WHIPPETS , LURCHERS AND TERRIERS ARE STILL TEN A PENNY IN THE AREA , MY MISSUS GRANDFATHER CAN STILL REMEMBER GOING TO THE RABBIT COURSING MEETS WITH HIS MINER GRANFATHER WHO USED HIS WHIPPETS IN BOTH THE HUNTING FIELD AND ON A SUNDAY AS A RACE DOG ,.........WHICH WAS COMMON PLACE

AT THAT TIME MEETS WERE STILL ORGANISED FOR WHIPPETS WHERE A FERRETTED RABBIT WAS PLACED IN A SAWDUST CIRCLE , 50 YDS AWAY FROM THE PAIR OF WHIPPETS , AS SOON AS THE RABBIT LEFT THE CIRCLE THE WHIPPETS WERE SLIPPED .... FIRST TO PICK UP THE RABBIT WAS THE WINNER ...... THIS WAS DONE IN A TWO DOG MATCH SYSTEM TILL IT CAME DOWN TO THE FINAL WINNING PAIR ....... IN LARGE ENTRY FIELDS SOMETIMES A DOG WOULD HAVE TO RUN 8 TIMES A DAY ......

THE OLD MAN PREFERRED HIS DOGS WITH BEDLINGTON BLOOD IN THE MIX , AND WAS APPARENTLY SUCESSFUL ....

THE BEDLINGTON INFLUANCE COULD BE SEEN EVEN WHEN I WAS A KID WITH MANY RACE WHIPPETS SHOWING A SILKY TOP KNOT .

I REMEMBER QUITE A FEW GOOD DOGS AMONGST THE WHIPPETS OF MY CHILDHOOD ,....... A DOG NAMED BEN THAT ALTHOUGH FINE BONED WOULD SMASH INTO EVERY DOG IT SAW INCLUDING A BULLTERRIER THAT OFTEN BOTH HAD TO BE BROKEN OFF EACH OTHER ! BEN HOWEVER EXCELLED AT RATTING AND WAS NEVER BEATEN BY A TERRIER TO A RAT .... DYNAMITE ,WE TOOK HIM EVERYWHERE WITH US BUT NEVER TOLD OLD MOTHER ARMSTRONG WHAT WE WERE USING HIM FOR , HELL NO ... SHE WASNT ABOVE HITTING A YOUNG LAD ACROSS THE SHOULDERS WITH HER CANE MAT BEATER IF ANNOYED !!

CHIPPER WILL REMEMBER AN OLD BRINDLE DOG CALLED SAM THAT DROPPED MANY A ROE ....

IVE TOLD THIS STORY BEFORE . BUT ....... SINCE A FEW HAVE MENTIONED THE STAMINA ISSUE ....

I ONCE SAID AS A SNOTTY NOSED KID OF ABOUT 10 TO A GOOD MOOCHING LAD THAT USED A SMOOTH COATED CUR MARKED DOG ,.......

" IS THAT A CUR X WHIPPET ? "

" NO KIDDA ITS A WHIPPET "

" I THOUGHT WHIPPETS WERE NO GOOD FOR LAMPING AS LADS SAY THEY AINT GOT NO STAMINA ? "

TO WHICH HE QUITELY PUT ME IN MY PLACE ......

" BONNIE LAD ,..... I CAN GO OUT 6 NIGHT OUT OF 7 WITH THIS WHIPPET AND KILL A DOZEN RABBITS ...... HOW MANY CAN YOU EAT ? "

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Cracking post duckwing :clapper: