over the years ive met many a man that used tongs and none of them were COWARDS,they know more about dogs and working them than most.Neil I find that statement of yours rather silly and condesending.you obviously have a very high opinion of yourself..These proper dog men could handle any quarry with their hands.Tongs I was told could remove the quarry cleanly and quickly and with little harm to it.What about the people long ago that kept draw dogs,wheatens/staffs etc,these were equivilent to a tongs.The difference being you didnt have to feed,walk or clean after the metal ones.I suppose the owners of heavy dogs were cowards too?

No Jigsaw the owners of strongdogs were just that, the owners of strongdogs.

Anyone who keeps strongdogs and thinks that the end of a dig is the way to work them is fooling themselves. If a strongdog is needed practicaly at the end of a dig then you must question how good is the terrier you've just dug to.

Think about it ? What was a tongs for ? It was for holding an animal at the end of a dig so that the handler wouldn't be bitten. Simple as that. There's no other answer.

Use a terrier that gets you close to your quarry and learn how to handle it.

No dissrespect to any old timer, they knew no better. Time to move on.

• Like 2

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

over the years ive met many a man that used tongs and none of them were COWARDS,they know more about dogs and working them than most.Neil I find that statement of yours rather silly and condesending.y

Years ago I seen them used regularly and nearly always by cowards. Used quickly they could be humane but they did tend to get over used and misused. They belong on the scrap heap no matter how valubl

No Jigsaw the owners of strongdogs were just that, the owners of strongdogs. Anyone who keeps strongdogs and thinks that the end of a dig is the way to work them is fooling themselves. If a strongdog

over the years ive met many a man that used tongs and none of them were COWARDS,they know more about dogs and working them than most.Neil I find that statement of yours rather silly and condesending.you obviously have a very high opinion of yourself..These proper dog men could handle any quarry with their hands.Tongs I was told could remove the quarry cleanly and quickly and with little harm to it.What about the people long ago that kept draw dogs,wheatens/staffs etc,these were equivilent to a tongs.The difference being you didnt have to feed,walk or clean after the metal ones.I suppose the owners of heavy dogs were cowards too?

Well said jigsaw

Neill What else could you do back then?dig another hole or trench on?

Wait till he dives at the terrier and grab him??

Tell me?

Yep, Mustard in those days they used to dig another hole or trench on. That was how it was done.

It would do you no harm to talk to a few old timers and learn a little about terrier work in the good old days.

Years ago I seen them used regularly and nearly always by cowards. Used quickly they could be humane but they did tend to get over used and misused.

They belong on the scrap heap no matter how valuble or well crafted. If you cant get on your belly and handle one you aint a terrierman, JMHO.

BUT, were they any crueler than those nooses on long poles that the SPCAs are so quick to use on so called dangerous dogs or wretched wounded foxes or badgers ?

utter nonsense Neil!!! pure horse shit from a man in the game so long....Mush

Yeh yeh, whatever.

nothing to do with cowards at all. in the old days when things were done differently they served there purpose and were a handy piece of equipment. especially if you were planning on handling a large number threw the course of a few hours. without them the whole process would have been delayed and it would have taken a hell of a lot longer. they done what they were designed to do. simple as. scrap heap now days no need for them. i'll agree on that......MUDD.......

well said, :thumbs:

No Jigsaw the owners of strongdogs were just that, the owners of strongdogs.

Anyone who keeps strongdogs and thinks that the end of a dig is the way to work them is fooling themselves. If a strongdog is needed practicaly at the end of a dig then you must question how good is the terrier you've just dug to.

Think about it ? What was a tongs for ? It was for holding an animal at the end of a dig so that the handler wouldn't be bitten. Simple as that. There's no other answer.

Use a terrier that gets you close to your quarry and learn how to handle it.

No dissrespect to any old timer, they knew no better. Time to move on.

Well I'll leave it at that then,hopefully the owners of working wheatens/strong dogs from LONG back might carry through the debate and explain to us why they bothered to keep the strain of strong dogs alive all this time.The 2 reasons it seems you have for a strong dog is

1.the terrier is standing off/too far back from the game and when the earth is opened the quarrys way up the pipe or

2.the dog owner is a ''COWARD'' and not willing to put his hands on the quarry?

and all these years I thought it was an honourable animal,the strong dog.How badly mistaken was I :icon_redface:

Anyone with a heavy dog was lacking in the art of quarry handeling...I dont thinks so Neil. :no: Dont turn this in to a nasty bitching argument, debate it and consider the views of others,we might well be wrong......but then again we may be right too :laugh:

Gotta go,off for a dig with the terriers......no strong dogs involved though :laugh:

Edited by jigsaw

It's well for you Jigsaw. I'm at home with an injured knee and can't get out for a hunt, that's why I've been on here so much lately LOL.

I hope you have a good one.

The trials were a different scenario than a day in the field and there's not many who appreciate a strong dog as much as me.

But truth is that most lads who used tongs or a dog for drawing were/are afraid to handle game. I wont say strongdogs because nowadays it seems to be lurchers that get used. Again this is because lads are afraid of getting bitten.

JMHO.

• Like 1

It's well for you Jigsaw. I'm at home with an injured knee and can't get out for a hunt, that's why I've been on here so much lately LOL.

I hope you have a good one.

The trials were a different scenario than a day in the field and there's not many who appreciate a strong dog as much as me.

But truth is that most lads who used tongs or a dog for drawing were/are afraid to handle game. I wont say strongdogs because nowadays it seems to be lurchers that get used. Again this is because lads are afraid of getting bitten.

JMHO.

Neil, Just a question, not to be a smart ass.

Do you see a difference between a coward and somebody beeing cautious? As I look at it, it is like somebody who is working with windows, you can pick them up with your bare hands, or you can use them smart rubbers they have for it these days. Is that last man a coward or just smart as it will safe him from injury?

Nick,

IMO there are 3 ways a dig should finish up and the first one is if the quarry is to be killed then a firearm should be used. If the quarry is to be let run for another day then stand out of the way and let it run. If it refuses to run then you get in there and take him out with your paws.

IMO a tongs, lurcher or strongdog is messy. And I've used all 3 in the past.

If testing a strongdog is the idea, then this is not the way.

JMHO.

If your afraid of the heat, stay outta the kitchen.