Help my ferret cant walk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure where you are but if you need a kit for next year leave me your details and if some way you can get to north notts I'll sort one out for you.   I don't normally give them away, but I w

to much f*****g about and asking questions for my liking,you should have gone straight to the vet or put it down, f**k all the its this its that its the other you just prolonged the inevitable if you

While I agree that a vet should always be a valid option and a high priority in the case of any ill animal, you only have to look at what this lad posted a few pages back about his vet telling him 'fe

I was watching this thread too, and yet again the animal didnt seek vetinary treatment early enough.

It should of been at the emergency vets as soon as he saw serious signs of illness like this, ferrets go down hill

very fast and they are very good at hiding illness's. The animal should of seen the vet to be treated or to end its suffering streight away.

If money is the problem I suggest putting some aside every week untill it builds up before you get any other ferrets in case of

an emergency like this. As in this case the animal always ends up suffering.

Rant over, lesson hopefully learnt.

this is something that's been a hot debate on here recently and hopefully people are learning from these incidents,a vet is obviously the best person to look at any sick animal but seeking advice is also a surely good thing in the mean time,a balance needs to be found that perhaps comes with experience with owning/handling animals.

this is something that's been a hot debate on here recently and hopefully people are learning from these incidents,a vet is obviously the best person to look at any sick animal but seeking advice is also a surely good thing in the mean time,a balance needs to be found that perhaps comes with experience with owning/handling animals.

:thumbs:

While I agree that a vet should always be a valid option and a high priority in the case of any ill animal, you only have to look at what this lad posted a few pages back about his vet telling him 'ferrets don't get ear mites...' :doh:

While nobody on here is qualified to make a diagnoses, what you've still got is a resource containing a few hundred experienced ferret owners who between them have probably experienced nearly every single type of ferret ailment...

We could all probably give more advice than - Take it to a vet, even if it's just the basics like keeping the animal warm and hydrated until you can get to a vet.

I've learned from personal experience that ferrets go downhill very quickly, and unless you are lucky to catch whatever ails them early on, they stand very little chance of recovery.. :( That's when you have to have the strength to do right by them.

• Like 2

I was watching this thread too, and yet again the animal didnt seek vetinary treatment early enough.

It should of been at the emergency vets as soon as he saw serious signs of illness like this, ferrets go down hill

very fast and they are very good at hiding illness's. The animal should of seen the vet to be treated or to end its suffering streight away.

If money is the problem I suggest putting some aside every week untill it builds up before you get any other ferrets in case of

an emergency like this. As in this case the animal always ends up suffering.

Rant over, lesson hopefully learnt.

you mean the owner ? i had the vision of the ferret on his mobile when i read this haha

While I agree that a vet should always be a valid option and a high priority in the case of any ill animal, you only have to look at what this lad posted a few pages back about his vet telling him 'ferrets don't get ear mites...' :doh:

While nobody on here is qualified to make a diagnoses, what you've still got is a resource containing a few hundred experienced ferret owners who between them have probably experienced nearly every single type of ferret ailment...

We could all probably give more advice than - Take it to a vet, even if it's just the basics like keeping the animal warm and hydrated until you can get to a vet.

I've learned from personal experience that ferrets go downhill very quickly, and unless you are lucky to catch whatever ails them early on, they stand very little chance of recovery.. :( That's when you have to have the strength to do right by them.

I've learned from personal experience that ferrets go downhill very quickly, and unless you are lucky to catch whatever ails them early on, they stand very little chance of recovery.. :(That's when you have to have the strength to do right by them.

Well said Malt mate......still don't like doing it after so many years but needs must. :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to say thanks for putting this post up - its been really useful - i've currently got a 10 month old male ferret who is going through the same thing right now ... I'm a townie ... not a hunter by nature but i do love my ferrets :clapper: , ive registered just so i can post this -

my 'bear' took ill last night ... i got him to the vets first thing this morning, she said its probly something he's eaten and gave him antibiotic and anti-inflammatory ... its now 9 hours later and he has made no significant improvement - i'm expecting the worst.

She told me the that the swelling i can feel on his underside is his sternum :huh:

he doesn't seem to be in any pain - just no energy and no power in his legs - sleeping most of the time - although waking occaisionally to drink water - and he is still eating a bit.

i'm going to miss him so much if he goes - but his sister will be beside herself.

hoping not to be soon - 1ferretinsheffield :cray:

Just want to say thanks for putting this post up - its been really useful - i've currently got a 10 month old male ferret who is going through the same thing right now ... I'm a townie ... not a hunter by nature but i do love my ferrets :clapper: , ive registered just so i can post this -

my 'bear' took ill last night ... i got him to the vets first thing this morning, she said its probly something he's eaten and gave him antibiotic and anti-inflammatory ... its now 9 hours later and he has made no significant improvement - i'm expecting the worst.

She told me the that the swelling i can feel on his underside is his sternum :huh:

he doesn't seem to be in any pain - just no energy and no power in his legs - sleeping most of the time - although waking occaisionally to drink water - and he is still eating a bit.

i'm going to miss him so much if he goes - but his sister will be beside herself.

hoping not to be soon - 1ferretinsheffield :cray:

Ohh heck, i really hope he pulls through, pet.

'polecat29' timestamp='1297546560' post='1925117']

could be botulism [food poisoning} mate

Thats the first thing that runs threw your head when the ferret take ill .But with such small animals anything that affects them can quickly drag them down and the owner has to be on the balls as often it can kill them with in hours .And as said theres very few vets that can get it right with ferrets

'polecat29' timestamp='1297546560' post='1925117']

could be botulism [food poisoning} mate

Thats the first thing that runs threw your head when the ferret take ill .But with such small animals anything that affects them can quickly drag them down and the owner has to be on the balls as often it can kill them with in hours .And as said theres very few vets that can get it right with ferrets

cheers for your thoughts -

good news - spent the night regularly feeding my 'bear' water from a dropper every hour or so and a couple of times he licked honey off a spoon - today he's still here, quite wobbly but much better than he was yesterday. so relieved but still keeping a close eye on him.

xx